Why Do Kids Fall Ill Frequently ? How to Boost Immunity in Fussy Children?
What Is Immunity?
As the temperature goes down during the winter season, the climate becomes quite conducive for viral growth, and therefore infections are quite common.
As a result, there is an increase in the children falling ill frequently, as they are the most vulnerable, due to various reasons—weak Immune system, being one of the most prominent among them.
It is thus required to boost the immune system of the children.
- Immunity is the Internal Defence Mechanism of the body.
- Everyday our body fights germs, bacteria, viruses, weather changes and many other unfavourable environmental factors, which can lead us to fall ill.
- A strong Immune system helps to protect us against these factors, and acts as our defence shield.
- Persons who do not have a strong Immune system, frequently fall ill.
Why do children have less Immunity?
The children do not have a strong Immune system, since it is still developing in them. Hence they can be more vulnerable to infections, as compared to adults.
It is therefore, essential to develop, boost, and strengthen the Immunity of children, by giving them a healthy environment, a balanced and nutritious diet, and dietary supplements, if it’s required.
Why do children frequently fall ill?
Children, especially small kids are more vulnerable to illness. Why?
Higher risk factors can be as following---
- Lower Immunity as compared to adults, as their Immune system is still in development stage.
- Likely exposure to toxins in the environment, such as allergens and pollutants.
- Changing or extreme weather.
- Dust, Germs, Contaminated food or water etc.
- Unhealthy or Unbalanced diet.
- Lack of exercise.
- Hand to mouth activities.
- Exposure to people suffering from infections or illness.
- Fussy eaters, or fussy in wearing warm clothes etc.
Children, in general lack the common sense, unlike adults, to correctly wash their hands, or stay away from sick children, or persons.
They usually get infected, during their school time.
Hello! My name is Julia and tomorrow, I will hate every food that I liked today.
How To Boost Immunity In Fussy Children Naturally?
The children in general, are fussy eaters. It’s a tough job for parents, to feed them a healthy diet. Parents have to use certain tricks, so that they get proper, balanced and nutritious food.
1. Fresh fruits and vegetables:
Make sure that you include fresh fruits and vegetables in your child's daily diet.
This is to give him/ her the adequate amount of Vitamins, Minerals, and Antioxidants that she/ he needs.
Freshly squeezed fruit juices provide flavonoids, and Vitamin C, very effective to boost Immunity.
2. Protein rich diet:
Include milk, or its products, such as curd, paneer, fish, pulses etc. to fulfill the Protein requirements of the children.
Honey is an excellent product to boost Immunity, and children also love its taste.
It has many medicinal properties, Antioxidants, and has antimicrobial properties to help fight viral, bacterial, or fungal infections.
Garlic is most effective, if taken raw, but your child would not like its taste for sure. You can extract the juice, and mix in the food, because Garlic is antimicrobial, and has various other properties to boost Immunity.
5. Make food appear interesting:
Children love well presented, and decorated food.
There are many recipes, which can be prepared with the goodness of essential nutrients to feed the children.
Try preparing them with your imagination, and creativity.
How to get your fussy child, to eat healthy food? Source: YouTube
Simple Tips To Strengthen Immunity And Protect Children In Winters
- Teach the children to wash their hands properly, with antiseptic soap, regularly and thoroughly.
- Make sure, they avoid touching their eyes, nose, mouth with dirty hands.
- Teach them to be clean, and keep their room, toys clean, and hygienic.
- Strengthen their Immune system, by providing them, a well thought out proper, balanced, nutritious diet, and make sure, they consume it.
- Be careful, and vigilant, so that they do not come into contact with the people suffering from Influenza, or other seasonal viral infections.
- Ensure, that they stay warm, by dressing them adequately for the winter season, in day time, as well as nighttime. Cover their chest, head, ear, hands and feet.
- If the child is a fussy eater, and in spite of your best efforts, does not eat healthy food, a supplementation may be required to boost the Immunity of the child.
- In some cases, supplements may be essential, for which medical attention is a must. The doctor is the best person to advise, if things are beyond control.
To Sum up:
Prevention is better than cure.
If proper precautions are carried out beforehand, regarding the diet of children, hygiene, habits etc. the children will be able to ward off any kind of illness, or infections.
For this, building up of a strong Immune system is very much required.
The children may not take a complete, and balanced diet, for which supplements may be given as prescribed by the physician.
Immunity boosting foods, source: You tube
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2013 Chitrangada Sharan