- Family and Parenting»
- Day Care & Babysitting
How to Get a Child Day Care License
The regulations and application process to get a license for a child day care center is different for each state.
For exact requirements, please refer to the National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education. Simply click on the state you’re interested in to get a list containing:
- State Regulatory Information
- State Licensing Contact
- Links to Other State Child Care Contacts
Roughly speaking though, the process to get a child day care license is as follows:
- Obtain, fill in and submit the application form.
- Preliminary visit by licensing officers, where you will be assessed and given advice to meet licensing requirements.
- Evaluation visit by licensing officers, where a thorough examination will be done to ensure your child day care center complies with all the regulations.
- License is either granted or denied.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does the process take on average?
About 90 days.
How much does it cost?
How long does the license last?
Please feel free to ask any other questions or share your personal experience in getting a child day care license in the comments section below. Thanks!