How to do a Time Capsule for Your Family
Make a Time Capsule
Are you looking at something unusual and memorable? Something that you can do to preserve the valuable memories for you to cherish together? Then you should do a family time capsule.
What Is Time Capsule?
A time capsule is like a message into the future in the form of snapshots of events and thoughts of that day. It gives a glimpse of what happened on that particular day and it can also be your family heirloom.
Make Time Capsule as Your Family Project
Get every member of the family to be involved. Consider this as one of your family projects. It is fun as well as educational. You can make as many time capsules as you like. Just make sure it is for a different event.
Why Do Family Time Capsule?
There are several reasons why you should do a family time capsule. It could be:
- To mark a special occasion such as the birth of a baby, child graduation from kindergarten or high school, or your job promotion
- To chronicle your family’s history
- To preserve the family’s memories
- As a special gift to your loved one
- As a family treasure box or heirloom
- To preserve the memoir, event, and thoughts of the day
- To record your family’s visions, desires, and aspirations for the future
- To record your message to your loved one
- To bring the family together for the future unveiling of the time capsule
What to Put in a Time Capsule
What to put in your time capsule will depend on the reason for that time capsule in the first place. Is it to mark your kid’s first birthday, to remember the happy occasion that you are pregnant, that you are moving to a new and bigger house or just a simple reason to record the event of that day?
Make it personal and appealing. Just focus on things related to the reason, and things that happen on that day.
Things to Put in a Time Capsule
Here are some examples that you may want to consider:
- Something that will mark the event of that day (like your child’s exam results) and you can also write a short story on it
- Photos of you, your family, your other family members (grandma, granddad, uncles etc.) and friends
- Photos of your home and neighborhood
- Photos of your pet
- Photos of your favorite things
- 1st page of your local newspaper
- Letters and notes of the current event
- Letters to be addressed to you and your loved one
- Any personal memorabilia like an old shoe, shirts etc.
- An empty can of your family’s favorite drink (the design can change, so it’s nice to see what it was then)
- Drawings by your kids
- Video recording (could be of your child’s first step or his first word or his first birthday etc.)
- Tracing of all family member’s feet and hands
- Your vision, goal, aspirations, and predictions
- Shopping receipts
- Anything else that is relevant to the reason why you have that time capsule
You may want to do all these in the form of a scrapbook.
Checklist for Your Time capsule
- Ensure all items are labeled with a brief description of location, names, and dates. However, if you focused on the event of that DAY itself, then you do not have to date every item.
- A brief summary to the people who will be opening the time capsule, reasons for the capsule and list of contents
- Put only items that you do not need but relevant to the reason, idea, and concept of why you have that time capsule (like to mark your son's first day at school)
- Items stored must be of non-biodegradable materials.
Things You Need to Make a Time Capsule
To create this family time capsule, you will need, among other things, the followings:
- Any waterproof airtight container. Depending on where you intend to keep this time capsule, you may want to consider using a fireproof container. The size of this container must be adequate to put all your contents. You can also buy a specially made time capsule container.
- Airtight plastic bags such as Ziploc
- Camera, to take photos of the event of that day
- Acid-free papers and envelopes to write notes, thoughts, messages or anything significant and individually sealed in each envelope.
- Artifacts, personal items, and mementos
- Video recording if required
- Other items such as a front page of that day's newspaper
Where to Hide
So where should you keep or hide this family time capsule?
You can bury it in the front garden. If you choose this option, remember to dig it out should you move house, do any extension to your house or anything else that may permanently seal it.
Alternatively, you can put it in a less trafficked area like in the attic.
Whichever location you decided on, record its location and of the agreed date to unveil it. Otherwise, you will forget especially if you choose to have a longer period before you unveil the time capsule.
When to Open Time Capsule
Not only will the kids be looking forward to opening this time capsule but you as the parent will also be anticipating this big day. The longer you set the opening date, the more dramatic and significant will you see the changes. It could be 5 years, 10 years, or more. Whichever period you choose, stick to it.
Start Your Family Time Capsule Now
Your family time capsule will freeze and preserve your family’s special moments or ideas of that day. It will regroup all family members for this unveiling of the time capsule. It can be fun and it can be sad. Whatever the outcome, this family time capsule will definitely be cherished and appreciated for years to come.
Have you started on your family time capsule yet?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 Mazlan