- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice»
- Parenting Advice & Tips
How to be a Good Role Model to your Children? Tips for Parents on Being a Positive role Model for their kids
Good Parenting – Being a Positive Role Model for the Child
Parents are a child’s first teachers and role models. They are responsible for shaping up the child’s behavior and implementing positive values in them. Children listen, observe and imitate their parents. So it is important that they should be good role models the kids would want to follow. As a Mother or Father, a Parent has to practice what she/he preaches to expect the child to follow it. But majority of Parents miserably fail to be that and set up examples of bad parenting instead. There is no doubt that Parenting is one of the most difficult and demanding tasks in the World. It requires continuous learning and sacrifices to be a good Parent. To raise well behaved and responsible children one should be willing to invest a considerable amount of time, patience and energy.
It is not wrong to say that bad kids come from bad parents. Children are like raw earth and they get molded based on how their parents mold them. It is up to you to decide how you want your child to be. Faulty parenting only can lead to faulty children. If you want a well behaved and positive child, you will have to lead by example by being a positive role model for them.
What does it take to be an effective parent and good role model for children? What is the importance of being a positive role model? What are the Qualities of a good role model? If you are looking for the answers of these Questions, this Hub should help.
Qualities Parents should have as Role Models
I don’t think anyone can be a Perfect Parent. Everyone learns by trial and error. No one is born perfect. Every Individual has negatives and drawbacks. But it is not difficult to be a good parent. All you have to do is be a positive example for the child to follow as it is from you a child will know what is wrong and what is right. You may make mistakes, acknowledge it and correct it. If you do not set a good example for the child, you cannot expect the child to be a good citizen. Normally we learn our first steps of parenting from our own parents. Sometimes we tend to parent the way we are parented because our parents were successful in it. But most of the time children end up paying a price for the bad treatment their parents got from their grandparents by being treated in a similar manner. Some Parents take the Bad Parenting of their own Parents as an example of how a Parent should not be and try their level best to make sure that their children do not suffer the way they did.
How to be a good role model for your child? Given below are Qualities a Parent should have in order to be a positive role model.
- Teach Positive Values: If you want your child to have positive values, you should have them as well. Children are known to imitate and follow their parents. So it would not be a good sign if you tell your son/daughter to be honest and get caught by the child while you were lying. By doing that you would be conveying the message that it is okay to say lies when it is beneficial. Similarly, there are many parents who use bad language and swear words but instruct their children not to use them. You will have no explanation why you can use it while he/she can’t. So it is important that you practice what you preach. It is important that you banish your negative image if you want your children to show positive qualities. Teach your kids positive attitude and values like honesty, respect, generosity, kindness, good manners and forgiveness by being an example for them to follow. Encourage good behavior by praising and rewarding them.
- Respect Children as Human Beings: If you expect your child to respect you and treat you well, then you should also respect others, including the child. Your children would treat you the way you treat your parents or others. If you are disrespectable to your Parents, your children also may not treat you well. When you throw your aged Parents out of the house or treat them like garbage, remember that one day your children may also treat you similarly. If you show toxic behavior, your children may also develop them. For instance, if you are an abusive husband who beats his wife, you would be teaching your son that it is okay to be abusive towards his future wife. So watch out how you treat your friends, spouse, parents, neighbors, colleagues, servants and other people in your life. Let the child know that they are loved and cared for. Let them know that they are secure with you.
- Establish an Open Communication: As a Parent, Spend quality time with children every day. Listen to the children and understand their feelings when they talk. Let your children know that they can be honest with you. Show happiness on their accomplishments, discipline them, encourage them when they need motivation, comfort them when they are hurt and teach them responsibility. Just like positive behaviors, children also pick up negative traits. So if you make a mistake, take the responsibility on yourself instead of getting into the blame game. Accept your mistakes and apologize. When the child makes a mistake, patiently make him/her understand the mistake. Instead of yelling and physical punishment accept a sincere apology from them. Let the child know that it is okay to make mistakes but it is important to be honest and make amends.
- Teach them Healthy Habits: Just like good manners and etiquette, healthy habits also should be taught to children. Be their role model for healthy living. Implement healthy eating habits and exercises to keep them healthy and fit. Encourage them to participate in sports and games. Allow them to play with the children of their age. Teach them about hygiene and cleanliness. Let them know about the effects of drugs, smoking and alcohol abuse. Be a mentor to the child. Show love for learning new things. By doing it, you will be able to instill an appreciation for learning and education in the mind of the child. Also be involved in your child's life by taking interest on sports, hobbies or anything else they are interested in.
In short, be a positive role model to the child by implementing positive attitudes and behaviors in front of the child. Apart from Parents, Children also learn from their Teachers and surroundings. So choose wisely whom your child associates with. It is advisable to keep your kids away from those with toxic behaviors as they can be of influence to the kid.
Is there anything I have left out? Feel free to add them through comments.
More on Good Parenting
© 2012 Anamika S