- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice
How parents can handle their children or kids temper tantrums and stubborn behavior?
Dr Ann: How to deal with children temper tantrums?
More parenting strategies:
- Parenting strategies: How parents can teach money management to young children?
Parenting strategies: How to teach money management to young children? Parents can teach simple money skills to children which can help them to become givers instead of takers in their adult life. They need to learn to divide their pocket money in fo
- Parenting strategies for disciplining kids easily
Parenting strategies for disciplining kids easily. Parents can discipline children easily by doing what they preach, giving a listening ear and providing unconditional love and acceptance. This can open the communication channel between parent and ch
- Parents guide: How to motivate my kid to do homework?
Parents guide to help motivate their children to study and finish their homework.
How to deal with child temper tantrums?
Dealing with child temper tantrums is a tough job for new parents. Children often throw tantrums to get what they want and to do what they like to do. Parents find themselves in a big puzzle as they find it hard to tolerate screams, cries and at the same time, they don't want to let their kid become obstinate or stubborn.
Since birth, babies have an idea that they need to cry to get their parents attention. Although, they don't know how to talk but they know that by crying they will soon be looked and comforted. However, if this crying gets converted to temper tantrums as they grow up, parents need some guidance how to handle it.
Here, are some simple steps to deal with child temper tantrums. Before applying these principles, parents might consult child doctor for expert guidance. Below advice is for information purpose only:
1. When a child throws temper tantrums, we need to look what exactly is the root cause. Sometimes, the cause can be a genuine need like the child is hungry for long time or he or she is badly hurt in an accident. That is a real call for help and we need to fix the root cause and give the child what he needs.
2. However, if the root cause of child tantrums is that the child just wants all the toys for himself or herself and is not willing to share with other sibling, we know that this is not a good habit. In such cases, we need to understand that if we encourage such tantrums, it will be bad for the child and he might become stubborn. So, we need to ignore the child tantrums and let him or her continue with his screams, shouts or any type of temper tantrum that he or she likes to do.
3. Soon, the child will realize that his or her screams, crying is not helping him or her. The child will soon realize that he or she is not getting the desired results. The screams will stop almost immediately.
4. Sometimes, parents get angry when the child is throwing temper tantrums in front of relatives, friends and try to stop it by shouting or other means. However, it might just encourage the child to repeat the behavior. Children are smart enough to understand that parents are embarrassed in front of public and they will give in to their demands. So, we need to be patient and ignore their behavior for some time even in the eyes of public. Although, it is difficult and sometimes, not possible, we need to be patient as many times as we can whether outside or inside home. We will soon see the rewards of our seeds of patience.
5. Children are intelligent and they understand what works. If they soon find that temper tantrums are just ignored and not reaping fruits, they will soon leave them and go for some behavior that is worthwhile and rewarding.
These are simple and easy strategies to handle your child temper tantrums if they are going out of control. Parents can enjoy and have fun while growing up kids with simple parenting strategies. Enjoy parenthood and wish you all the best!