- Family and Parenting
INDICATORS OF CHILD ABUSE
Below are some typical signs of child abuse:
1. Visible marks such as bruises welt, burns, scars and fractures.
2. The child may be tired, uneasy, irritable, the result of not getting enough rest and food.
3. Child like mannerisms (similar to those displayed by much younger children) such as thumb sucking, soiling of pants, tempers tantrums.
4. The child may start clinging to an adult for emotional support and may be quite fearful of adults.
5. Very low self-esteem and may start having problems at school.
6. Dirty clothing and unpleasant body odor. Lack of basic health care such as dental work, glasses and hearing aid.
7. May show extreme behavior such as aggressiveness, destructive, hyperactive or shyness or may not display any emotion at all.
8. May be reluctant to leave day care center or school.
9. To summarize judge the following signs or indicators of child abuse. Observe carefully and assess the situations:
• Sleep disturbances
• Loss of appetite
• Behavior change
• Fear of adults
• Not wanting to go home