- Family and Parenting»
Kids: Help Overcome Their Fears
Help your Kids Overcome Their Fears
Kids have different fears. Fears that are considered common among their age. Consider yourself when you were still young and there were so many things bothering you which frightens you to try something new just because you were afraid to do so. Sometimes most of us, we often forget to pay attention to the very least details wherein kids can hardly express themselves, too. This sometime becomes related to our kids emotional stresses. We even forgot what exactly they were afraid of, right after trying to convince them it was just nothing.
Common Fears of a Child
Fantasy There are two sides of every fantasy in our children, the first gives them happy thoughts that they really enjoy. It helps them to sometimes end up dreaming and fantasizing wonderful things for themselves. While the second one is the evil side to every fantasy wherein some frightful scenarios retained to their memories and leaving kids frightened when it flashes back in mind.
Enemy According to Lawrence Cohen, children were vulnerable to two kinds of pain. It is the normal social and the other is the serious social (pain). While most children experienced the first than the latter. The normal social pain does not continue firmly.
While Michael Thompson, Ph.D. , said that fifteen the percent of kids were vulnerable to extreme social risk, and the other eighty five percent were attacked by social challenge.
Once the child experienced extreme social pain, he/she is already vulnerable to fears.
Anxiety We all knew fears among children changed as they mature. Fears of ghost and ugly creatures such as monster, being injured , afraid of the dark, thunder and lightnings, and anxiety about things that are not reality based.
Rejection The early age of rejection can be seen commonly to those preschoolers. As one grows, this rejection will teach us somehow to misbehave and change varies in many ways.
Scene Some scene that comes from the movie they're watching could be very frightening. Violence, scary faces, emotions, rolling thunder, lightning and sometimes even roars from wild animals.
What should We Do?
- Give your child sufficient attention. Show them that you understand their fears.You can tell stories from your childhood.Tell them your own childhood fears and how did you face all of them.
- Ask what is bothering your child.Listen to what your child is trying to tell you. And try to identify things which bothers them that they can't tell you.
- Be patient when asking so that they may be able to speak their thoughts clearly. Show them you care.
- Pay attention to them and try to evaluate their fear. Give them a nice explanation why they should not be afraid or something like telling them you always have time for them to listen to their worries that they can come to you at any time of the day.
- Show your sympathy and caress them with your love.
- Do not coerce them to instantly remove their fears instead help your kids dare to face those fears away.
- Do not laugh or castigate them through fears. Laughing them can make them feel the worse. It won't help, kids will not open up their feelings when being laughed.
- You too, should show bravery.
- You cannot easily keep them away from fearful characters but you should keep their fantasies distinct from real ones.
Divert the Fears
As children grows, they constantly change their fears. Until such time they can handle their own emotions and manage their own fears. This happens to most individuals.This happens to most of us. Psychologist says, 'Fear' is okay as long as one can help himself recuperate. Our world is now changing, The dilemma of 'before' has already been patched currently by rapid growth of unique ideas on how a child can divert their fears into a unique activity. There are so many activities out there wherein we can let our kids join and help them enhance the creativity inside them. Good thing, some encourage the guardians or the parents to join with the kids. Parents nowadays had so many choices wherein they can leave the kids and have learning. Do not just leave your kids in front of television, and consume most of their time watching movies. Media has a tremendous source of unnecessary things that might be dangerous to your kids.Educate the kids. It's more fun learning, visualizing and analizing things.
Let Them Pray
Prayer is still the most powerful tool for any kind of fear. Teach your little ones how to pray. Let them know all about Jesus and you'll be surprised how they react once you mentioned the name. Let them pray alone.
Helpful Reading Tools
The Little Graduates
- For The Little Graduates
A little tribute for the little girls and boys who are now a graduate from their pre-school levels and looking forward to their bright future.