A World of Kindness
"Imagine a world. Where people look out for each other. Where we all pay it forward. Where success is measured in selfless acts. Where kindness is the philosophy of life."
Random Acts of Kindness
- Welcome | Random Acts of Kindness
Kindness stories, quotes, ideas, classroom resources and more.
Being Kind Counts
A Random Act of Kindness is a measure of your capacity as a human being to consider the worth and needs of others. It is your ability to think outside of yourself and have empathy toward others' struggles or experience. A Random Act of Kindness, is, most importantly, a way to give the intrinsic strengths you have within you to strengthen others who are in need.
I Feel Good
A Random Act of Kindness feels good. Knowing that you have done something, intentional or not, to make someone else feel good can be a powerful antidote to your own perceived problems or woes. Allowing the best version of yourself to act towards others, can strengthen your desire to navigate your day in a positive way, spreading happiness and joy to others. I know that sounds corny, but positive energy is contagious.
Mr. Happy Man
Think of the times that someone smiled at you randomly. Did you find yourself smiling back? Or a time when you noticed someone laughing joyously. Did you wonder what they thought was so funny and wish you were in on the joke? Think about a time that someone engaged in a random act of kindness toward you. Did you feel the urge (and hopefully follow through on it) to do something nice for someone else so you could continue to pay it forward?
There is power in being kind. Even the simplest act of kindness can have an incredible impact, most of the time an impact you will never know. But that's not the point. Engaging in a Random Act of Kindness is simply the right thing to do because you are a kind, caring, giving individual who is concerned about the well being of others.
What is a RAK?
What is considered a Random Act of Kindness? Kindness.com.au/ defines a Random Act of Kindness as "a spontaneous gesture of goodwill towards someone or something - our fellow humans, the animal kingdom, and the kingdom of nature." I consider it a way to say "I care about you and want to help in anyway I can."
Exactly what is a Random Act of Kindness? Althought the word "random" leads one to believe that there is no intention behind your act, I have always been okay with being kind intentionally. What you practice happens more. Intentional kindness can soon transition into random kindness as your kindness toward others simply becomes the way that you engage with others.
Showing That I Care
The list below gives a few ideas for the different ways that people of all ages can spead the contagion of happiness and caring.
- Share your toys with a sibling
- Help mommy fold the laundry
- Give grandma a hug
- Say "thank you" when daddy helps you into the car
- Tell your brother you love him
- Snuggle with grandpa when he comes to visit
- Do your chores without mom telling you to
- Say "good morning" to your teacher when you arrive at school
- Help a friend clean up a mess
- Hold the door open for someone else
- Draw a picture for someone who is sad or upset
- Leave mom or dad a note saying you love them
- Sit with someone who is alone in the cafeteria
- Ask someone new to play
- Talk to someone who looks sad
- Clean up messes you see in the school hallway
- Offer to help your teacher in the classroom
- Ask someone without a partner to work with you on a project
- Stand up for someone who is being teased
- Shovel snow or do any other chore for someone without being asked
- Give praise to someone you see working hard
- Ask someone who looks lonely to hang out with you
- Send random thank yous to your friends by text
- Tell your teachers you appreciate them
Age 15 and above
- Carry packages for someone who is struggling
- Call someone you have lost track of and ask how they are doing
- Walk your neighbor's dog
- Take care of someone who is ill
- Tell someone why they are special to you
- Say "thank you" to the store clerk
Give Kindness a Try!
Try it! Notice how good you will feel about yourself and about your contribution to someone else's day. Check out the links below for even more ideas for how to engage in a Random Act of Kindness.
100 Acts of Kindness
- 100 Acts of Kindness for Kids | Coffee Cups and Crayons
Any act of kindness no matter how big or small can make a difference--especially when done intentionally. Here are 100 acts of kindness for kids that you and your family can do together!
29 More Ideas
- 29 Ways to Carry Out Random Acts of Kindness Every Day
The time has come when we cannot just rely on others to make the world a better place – each one of us has to do our bit. It is therefore time for people t