- Family and Parenting»
- Babies & Baby Care
How to Make Your Own Baby Headbands with Flowers for Newborns
I've been requested by a photographer friend to make some baby headbands for her to use in her photo shoots. So, after seeing some modern baby portraits with oversized flowers on their headbands, I decided to make some with big flowers, too. (Those photos will be found in my next hub.)
Wanting to also be practical, I also made some smaller flower arrangements and also some with only one flower for newborn babies. I'll be explaining how to make them in this article.
So...off I went to Wal-Mart and purchased 4 packages of headbands. Three of the packages were the same: 6 different pastel colored headbands. And I purchased a package of thicker headbands: one pink, one brown.
My next stop was Michaels craft store. I was in heaven the moment I stepped through the door, dreaming up so many creative possibilites with each new isle of merchandise. I was in the store for two or three hours and it seemed like only minutes. I finally had to summon my thoughts to the task at hand: baby headbands! I made my purchase and headed to my art studio.
Small Flowers for Newborn Babies
For the small newborn headbands, I hand-sewed usually one flower on each headband.
1. As shown, I was careful to remove most of the plastic flower parts--everything except the center piece needed to hold the flower together.
2. Then I carefully sewed each flower to each headband.
3. Once sewn, the little bit of green stem poked through to the other side. So, I hot glued a small piece of soft, cotton material on the underside, directly over the stem.
4. Then I cut a piece of fabric that was a little bit larger than the cotton piece, and that matched each headband. I glued that piece on next.
Be careful to only use a small amount of glue. I used a small dot and immediately pressed the fabric onto the dot, which made the glue spread to the edges. If you use too much glue, once the glue dries, it hardens and will hurt the baby's head.
For this blue headband with a green bow, I didn't use any glue at all. I made the bow from 3 pieces of green ribbon and hand-sewed them together in the back. And then sewed the bow to the headband.
This black, red, and white headband was a little trickier. It is also completely hand-sewn.
1. Each black loop is a separate piece of ribbon that I sewed together one at a time, overlapping each piece in the middle.
2. Then I added small red beads (that look brighter in person than in this photo).
3. And then sewed the whole piece onto my white headband.
More Handmade Baby Headbands
- How to Make Baby Headbands and Girls or Teens Hair Clips With A Knifty Knitter Flower Loom
So, I've just now discovered a neat line of knitting looms by a company called "Knifty Knitter." I haven't knitted since I was in 7th grade when my mom and I took up knitting dish cloths. It didn't last...
- How to Make Your Own Baby Headbands for Newborns
I've been requested by a photographer friend to make some baby headbands for her to use in her photo shoots. So, after seeing some modern baby portraits with oversized flowers on their headbands, I decided...
- How to Make Your Own Baby Headbands With Large Flowers
In my first baby headband article I showed how to make baby headbands with small flowers. In this article I will explain how to make headbands for the more adventurous baby who isn't afraid to wear large...
Handmade Headbands and Hair Clips for Girls and Teens
- How to Make Your Own Flower Headbands and Hair Accessories For Girls and Teens - 2
Yesterday, I had to break free from the hum-drum of life and do something creative. Those of you who are artisic too, know exactly what I mean. The need to create (and it is a NEED) begins to tap the...
- Make Your Own Fashion Headbands For Girls and Teens
My 11-year-old daughter and I recently had a Mommy/Daughter Day. We had so much fun together shopping for some summer clothes and walking downtown. During our shopping time, I was hit with a burst of creative...
- Fashion Feather Headbands for Girls and Teens - Fushia and Purple - Blue and Green
I've recently made two headbands in this style and immediately sold them both. Items you will need: feathers from your local craft store floral wire hot glue material scraps to match your feathers ...
- HAIR ACCESSORIES - How to Make Your Own Feather Hair Clip
scissors hot glue gun hot glue sticks hair clip inexpensive jewel or gem large purple feathers with fanned-out tips medium blue feathers (mine have green tips) small blue, polka-dotted feathers ...
Handmade Girly Flower Pens
- How to Make Your Own Flower Pens and Girly Pens 2
Before you begin, make sure you have everything you need: * hot glue gun * hot glue sticks * ribbon(s) you will use to go around the pen shafts * pens (the kind that has a removable...
- How to Make Your Own Flower Pens and Girly Pens
Before you begin, make sure you have everything you need: hot glue gun hot glue sticks ribbon(s) you will use to go around the pen shafts (I like to use ribbed ribbons. They are more durable and the hot...
Handmade Feather Earrings
- Ideas to Make Your Own Feather Earrings - Brown and Turquoise
These earrings are so easy to make. First cut some kind of semi-stiff fabric into tear-drop shapes. Next, hot glue different layers of feather onto your material. Use your creative imagination as to...
- Ideas to Make Your Own Feather Earrings
Feathers are all the rage right now in fashion and design. From feather earrings, to feather necklaces, to feather headbands and feather hair clips, to clothing designs using birds, feathers, and...