Things to know about preschool children
Preschool stage based on the different Developmental stage Theories
A preschooler is a child 3 to 6 years of age.
Psychosexual Stage (Freud): Phallic - The child's source of pleasure is the genitals.
Psychosocial Stage (Erikson): Initiative vs. Guilt - The child is increasingly independent and gets along well with parents.
Cognitive Stage (Piaget): Stage II (Perceptual Intuitive Stage) of the Preoperational Thought Period - reasons can be given for beliefs and actions but considered prelogical and termed as preoperational intuitive thinking.
Moral Stage (Kohlberg): Preconvetional Level 1 Stage 2 - a stage of self-interest driven
Type: Associative or Cooperative
- Housekeeping toys
- Playground equipment (swing, seesaw, slide)
- Watercolors, fingerprints, clay
- picture/ Coloring books
- Materials for cutting/pasting
- Simple jigsaw puzzles, Lego
- Castration fear / body mutilation
- Fear of the dark
- They love to watch and imitate the behavior of adults.
- They are very creative and curious, that is why their favorite word is "Why"?
- Imaginary playmates are common among them.
- They love to tell "lies" and brag or boast in oder to impress others.
- They enjoy offensive language.
- They usually experience sibling rivalry.
- Masturbation may be seen in some
1. Three years of age
- Pedal trike
- Walks backwards
- Climbs stairs
- uses scissors
- Helps dress Himself
- Climbs and jumps well
- Uses alternate steps when climbing stairs
- Throws ball overhead
- Brushes teeth
- Runs and hops well; jumps rope
- Skips; balances on one foot for 8 seconds
- Ties shoelaces with bow/ribbon