Parenting Boot Camp
Your children will not remain young forever. You have to take hold of the reins of control before it’s too late to correct their bad behavior. The following simple tips will ensure your children grow up to be healthy, confident and happy adults in the future:
- Don't underestimate your son or daughter - he is able to understand a lot more than you believe he is doing and when you are making him believe you believe poorly of him this may affect his development.
- Don't use threats - a young child loves challenging their parents or adults and when threatened he may most likely just do what he wasn't suppose to simply to ascertain if he is able to escape the punishment or test your consistency when it comes to setting rules and boundaries for behavior.
- Don’t bribe your son or daughter - if you're looking to get him to understand the value of money for instance, all he'll get from this is actually the need for money.
- Encourage them to help around the house. Children are little bundles of energy after all. Focusing it into something constructive like housework can make them more responsible in the future. They may even start contributing their help without being asked.
- Art of Discipline:Effective Tips for parents to inculcate good behaviour
This section aims to explain Art of Discipline as set of techniques to inculcate good behaviour in your child.
- Precious Children: Helping Your Child Learn Responsible Behavior
How to teach your child responcible behavior from early childhood education television program Precious Children
- Be consistent with your rules.
- Treating your children as responsible human beings from the get go will make disciplining them much easier. Shouting at them till your throat is hoarse will only make you sick and might even put the wrench in the work you’ve already managed to accomplish.
- Children have wild imaginations which is why you should never show frustration if you think the tall tale they’re telling is a lie. That may not be true anyway. Their chaotic creative juices compel them to spin tales that may seem straight out of a storybook.
- Showing affection won’t hurt you. Children are the most innocent human beings on the planet. Hugging and kissing them when they’ve done good will make their confidence grow and will also strengthen their self worth.
- Your child’s positive behavior is the one to look out for. Focusing on the bad only can make them rebellious or fearful which are 2 scenarios that you MUST avoid at all cost! Complimenting them for behaving well when no one was watching to check their conduct is a good way to do this. Be sure to tell them what made you happy and they will definitely try to please you again.
- Inculcate independence in your child by letting them do small things on their own. Letting them complete school projects themselves is a good way to do this. Remember, your job is to guide them, not do everything for them! Plus being good role models for your kids is also a good idea.
Goodluck to all of us parents!
Cow in a Party Dress
Nitroglycerin or Tums?
The Attention Dance
Parenting Your Little Hitler