- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice
Parenting Style Quiz
What Kind of Parent are You?
Take the following quiz to find out what your parenting style is; you'll find the answers at the end of the quiz.
1. If your son his a child at a sports practice. What would you do?
a. Get mad at your son's actions, and tell the other child to hit him back.
b. Ignore the kids and let them handle it.
c. Tell him not to hit other people, make him apologize, and if this is a second offense, take away one of his privileges.
2. Your son and his friends have made a big mess, and now they want to go outside. What would you do?
a. Yell at them to clean up.
b. Go ahead and let the go outside, while you clean.
c. Help them clean by making a game out of it.
3. You and your pre- teen daughter are renting a few movies, and she wants to rent an R- rated movie that all of her friends have seen. What would you do?
a. Get mad, telling her she can't rent the movie.
b. Go ahead and let her watch the movie.
c. Tell her no and help her find a more appropriate movie.
4. You daughter is procrastinating her bedtime by saying that she would like something to eat. What would you do?
a. Make her go to bed hungry because it's her bedtime.
b. Go ahead and let her eat a snack before bed.
c. Give her a healthy snack, but tell her it's the last time she gets a late- night snack because she'll need to start eating more at dinner.
5. What do you do if you kids don't do their chores?
a. Yell and make them do it right then.
b. Do the chores yourself.
c. Remind them that they need to do their chores.
6. What do you do when your child whines and has a tantrum?
a. Send him to his room.
b. Give in, in hopes to stop him.
c. Wait till he's done with his tantrum and explain to him there are better ways to express his frustration.
7. If your child gets in trouble, what do you do?
a. Yell or spank the child.
b. Don't do anything.
c. Discipline the child and then explain that there are better choices to make.
8. Your son wants a certain toy that he sees at the grocery store. What do you do?
a. Flat out tell him that he can't have the toy.
b. Buy it for him to prevent a potential scene.
c. Tell him no, but explain that when he saves up his money, you'll take him back so that he can purchase the toy himself.
9. What do you do if you pre- school aged daughter had a nightmare and wakes you up?
a. Get mad because she woke up and tell her to just go back to bed.
b. Let her sleep wherever she wants, even if that means in your bed.
c. Comfort her and try to help her back to sleep once she's calmed down.
10. What is the main goal of parenting and discipline?
a. To get your children to listen no matter what.
b. To make sure that everyone is happy.
c. To teach your children why rules are important and to help them learn how to make good choices.
Answers & Explanations
Count up your A's, B's, and C's.
If you had more 'A' answers, you are more of an authoritarian parent, which means you attempt to control your children's behaviors. You stress the importance of obedience in regards to authority. Most authoritarian parents rely on punishment.
If you had more 'B' answers, you are more of a permissive parent, which means that you have very little if any control. You let your kids set their own schedules. Most permissive parents do not demand the same type of behavior as the other to parenting types.
If you had more 'C' answers, you are more of an authoritative parent, which means that you believe that both the parent and child have certain rights that are both of equal importance. You tend to set rules and explain them to your children. Most authoritative parents is sure their in control and doesn't need to assert any physical force to keep the child on track.