- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice»
- Parenting Advice & Tips
Parenting tips and tricks – How to teach good manners to your kids.
Fostering Good Manners
Parents want their children to be well-mannered, polite and on their best behavior at all times. If you’re a parent reading this then you know that raising such well-mannered kids is not an overnight job. It requires unconditional love and the patience of a saint. The key to teaching manners to kids is to start at a very early age. With poor role models on television and also in their everyday lives, how do you make your kids behave in polite, considerate and well-mannered way? Here’s the answer.
1) Be a strong role model
Remember that old saying ‘Actions speak louder than words’? Well, that applies in this case. It’s up to you to set a good example for your kids so they can look up to you and want to be like how you are.
2) Practice at home
Like charity begins at home, so does the education of good manners. Teach them to behave politely right from an early age. Encourage them to always use the words 'Thank you.' 'Please?' 'May I …' 'Excuse me.' And 'No, thank you.' Practicing at home will make them more confident about behaving that way in public too.
3) Be patient but firm
Children won’t learn good manners overnight. Not even within a week or six weeks. There’s no time schedule. You will have to be patient with your kids but make sure that they don’t away with being impolite or disrespectful. Correct them politely and encourage them to always be a polite and courteous child who is considerate of others feelings. Start with small things like teaching them to politely ask instead of demanding.
Top 10 most important good manners that parents should teach their children.
1) Always say ‘Please’, ‘Thank you’ and ‘Excuse me’.
2) Good phone manners
3) Listen when others speak and respond clearly when spoken to.
4) Write thank you notes for gifts.
5) Wait their turn to speak rather than interrupting others.
6) Table manners like do not slurp, do not talk with your mouth full and do not express your dislike for the food served.
7) Help others. Always be kind, polite and courteous.
8) Treat others as you want to be treated. Letting others down, making fun of others or hurting them in any way is never a good thing.
9) Be a sport. Everybody likes to win but even if you lost the game, be a good sport about it.
10) Greet people. Always greet the people you meet with a smile. Surly rude behavior is not acceptable.
Good Manners – Video for kids.
A few other Parenting tips and tricks.
- Parenting tips: How to develop moral values in your ...
Remember that saying, ‘Charity begins at home’? Similarly, kids need to learn the basic moral values at home too. Here are some tips to help parents develop moral values in their kids.
- Parenting tips – How to teach your kids to be hone...
Honesty is the best policy, but do we actually practice this everyday? Parent wants their children to be honest, truthful and grow up to be good human. Here's how you instill honesty in your kids.
- How to keep children entertained at home? - Fun art...
On a rainy day or an exceptionally hot summer day, rather than watching TV or playing video games encourage your kids to get creative and work on a craft project. Here's are some craft ideas for kids.
- Parenting tips - How to teach your kids to be humble...
Humility is not a virtue that everyone possesses. But the one's who do, are the strongest of all. It's never too early to teach kids about humility or learn a lesson yourself.
- Parenting tips and secrets: How to raise happy kids?
Being a parent is a wonderful things, however its not always easy. Here are the 7 secrets to fostering happiness in your children and raising them to appreciate all the good things in life.