Relax with a Staycation in Your Home Sweet Home
A Wonderful Vacation is What we All Need!
The next time you plan a vacation for your family, how about a stay-at-home vacation. Yes, indeed. Referred to as "staycation", these simple and inexpensive holidays are a great way to get rid of the stress, relax and spend some quality time with your spouse and kids.
What is a staycation?
In short, it is a vacation in which you don't travel. You stay put at home. No phones and no computer. You don't do your usual daily activities. Instead, you plan out for something exciting and new to do with your family.
Staycations are becoming more and more popular with families who just can't handle the rising costs of road trips and air travel. People want to relax but they just don't have the money to take that expensive vacation to those popular holiday destinations. Add to that rush during peak seasons, and you just can't help thinking that maybe you should just stay home and relax.
How to plan a stay at home vacation?
So, you may think that if you have got to stay at home, you don't need any planning. Well, you are wrong. If you don't plan in advance as to what you are going to do on your vacation, you will end up just going about your usual daily activities. You are at home, but you don't want to spend your time watching the TV and sleeping the whole time, right?
So, here are a few things that you may want to consider before starting your holiday at home.
- Turn off the phone, the computer and the TV. You have been using these things for your life. It is time to try something new! Yes, indeed get rid of them or just promise each other that you won't go near these things at all.
- Make all the arrangements before you start your holiday. Ask yourself: Do you want to do some sightseeing? Maybe you want to play a game of baseball with your kid? Or maybe you want to learn a new thing with your family or just practice the old piano? Decide on what you want to do and on what days are you going to do it. It really pays to plan your holiday in advance.
- Now, this is not just your vacation. It is for your family too. So, don't just tell them what the family will be doing. Instead, just have a family meeting and decide on what you want to do on each and every day. Work together and have fun together as well!
- Once you know what you want to do, it is best to get all the things before you start your stay at home vacation. You don't want to end up running around getting all the things together while on a vacation. Get it all done before the holidays.
- Think about your meals. If you like home-cooked food, it's fine. However, you don't want to spend your entire time cooking and cleaning up the dishes for your family. You may want to plan a family day where everyone can just chip in and cook some delicious food. For the rest of the days, you can always go out for some fast food or for an exotic meal at a fancy restaurant. You may also want to just prepare some meals in advance and freeze them.
- Of course, think about your budget. You are saving money by staying at home. That doesn't mean that you become a miser here. You may still want to splurge some money on something exciting that you have been postponing for a while. However, you don't want to go overboard either.
Family staycation ideas
If you are confused as to what you want to do during your vacation, here are a few ideas that you may want to think about.
- Family games - Try the traditional game of monopoly or any other board game!
- Play sports - Try out tennis or baseball or anything that you have just given up because you just don't have the time anymore.
- Art therapy - Make a painting or a sculpture; you don't have to be a Van Gogh here. Just play with the colors and create some memories.
- Family workout session - Well, you don't have to go to the gym. Just a simple walk in the park or around the neighborhood can be exciting with your family.
- Go for a massage - You want to get rid of the stress and relax. So, plan a day to get that massage or spend some time in the sauna. If you are on a romantic vacation with your better half, then how about using some aromatherapy oils and giving each other a relaxing and romantic massage? This could be the best vacation of your life!
- Plan a day trip - Just get into the car and go sightseeing, or fishing, or the amusement park or go hiking or explore nature; anything that makes you and your family happy.
- Read a book - Why not? If there is a book that is of interest to the whole family, maybe you can just read it together. Or maybe just explore your genealogy.
- Talking - When was the last time you spent the whole day just talking about old memories with your family? Long time, eh? So, why not just sit around the fire and talk about some fun times!
This content is copyrighted and no one has permission to copy it. If you like this article, please link back instead of copying the content.
Benefits of a staycation
One cannot ignore the fact that a staycation allows you to save a lot of money. However, a very huge benefit of a vacation at home is that it allows you to work on rebuilding those bonds with your family.
It can be used to bring back that spark in your relationship. It can be used to understand your teenager better, who may have just been acting a little too weird for you.
Furthermore, it also allows you to let go off your usual stresses and just relax, rest and allow your body and mind to go through some healing.
We all know that the home is the best place to relax. If we just take away the usual daily activities, we will surely be able to experience this as well.
Well, hopefully, these ideas just got the juices flowing and you are all set to take a vacation at your home next time. Just imagine how exciting a stay at home vacation can be. No day lost in traveling. No jet lag and exhaustion because of traveling. No weather issues to ruin your plans. No strangers around, only the people you love and your own house and own bed! So, when are you taking your staycation?
Read more articles
- Why Should I Eat Eggs?
Should you or should you not eat eggs? This is one question which has always been controversial. Find out the answer right here.
- Walk to Health with the Best Walking Shoes
Find out about the benefits of walking as an exercise and how to choose the best walking shoes.
- Five Fantastic Yoga Poses for Weight Loss
Yoga for weight loss? If you think that yoga poses cannot lead to weight loss, just try these excellent asanas and then decide.
Share your thoughts. Join Hubpages!