Swimming – Kid's Swim Gear- Life Jacket
The importance of choosing the proper swim gear for children cannot be over emphasized. Most children love to swim and play in the water, and they like the brightly covered colored swimsuits, swim goggles and swimming fins. However, drowning kills more than 1000 children a year under the age of 14 and at least another 20 are admitted to the emergency room because of near drowning.
Swimming Pool Courtesy of Full Quotient
I Almost Lost my Son to Drowning
I almost lost my youngest son to drowning when he was approximately 18 months old. I was working part time selling real estate at that time, and I had a 22-year-old babysitter who came with good references. We had a fenced in pool in our backyard and one afternoon my youngest son was napping. The babysitter decided to wash her car after she had done some sunbathing by the pool, and I was paying her for this!! My baby son had no fear of the water and we kept door latched at all times.
Apparently he woke up, went out the unlatched door and jumped in the pool. My oldest son was about 10 and found his brother in the bottom of the pool. He yelled for the babysitter who came running and jumped in the pool and pulled my son out, while my oldest son called 911. And then he called me. My baby regained consciousness fairly quickly and vomited which was a great sign.
Of course, I just jumped in my
car and drove as fast as I could to the hospital. While driving those 22 miles
I was terrified that maybe my son had died and they didn’t want to tell me on
the phone. I arrived at the hospital and as I walked back into the ER I recognized
his cry, which was music to my ears. They kept him overnight to make sure he
didn't get pneumonia or have any other problems, and I spent the night holding
him sitting in a rocking chair. In fact, I held him wrapped so tightly in a
blanket that he developed a temperature of 101° that returned
to normal after the blanket was removed. I knew how close I came to losing him
that day but by the grace of God not only was his life spared, he had no ill
effects from the experience at all. He still wasn't afraid of the water! It is
certainly one of the scariest events that ever happened in my life, and I was
so proud of my 10 year old son for reacting so competently in the face of this
Swimming Pool Safety Tips
Earn Money by Writing on Hubpages-- Sign up Today!
The CDC lists specific guidelines on their website to help prevent drowning:
- Supervision: Always have a responsible adult to watch children when they're swimming or playing around water or even in the bathtub. The adults should not be reading a book, talking on the phone or playing cards as they need to keep their full attention on the children.
- Buddy System: Always swim with a buddy and choose swimming sites that have a lifeguard whenever possible.
- Avoid Alcohol: Do not drink alcohol before or during swimming, while boating or water skiing or while supervising children.
- Learn to Swim: Formal swimming lessons can help protect children from drowning. Pool fencing is still necessary even when children know how to swim because they need the supervision of an adult.
- Learn Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR): During the time it takes paramedics to arrive at the scene you can save a life by starting CPR on an unconscious person. CPR performed by bystanders has been shown to improve the outcomes in drowning victims. With the new CPR guidelines this is not difficult to do. Please check my CPR hub that explains the guidelines in detail.
- Do Not Use Air Filled or Foam Toys: The air–filled or foam toys, such as “water wings”, “noodles”, or inner tubes in place of life jackets are not designed to keep simple swimmers safe.
CPR on Children 1-8 Courtesy Adam
Super Swimmer's nine training levels gently encourage rapid swimming skill building by a gradual reduction in flotation. As the child's comfort level increases, the pads can be removed, one-by-one, to shift reliance from the flotation pads swimming aid to the child's swimming movements to teach swimming skills within the child's comfort zone. Great Swim Teacher.Age 6 - 9
Bare Sprint Shorty Wetsuit for Toddlers and Kids
An excellent wetsuit for young children in swim classes or at the beach! Features: 1.5mm neoprene front and back panels give thermal protection and a little bit of buoyancy. Lycra sleeves & side panels provide flexibility, comfort, and room to grow. Excellent sun protection in a suit kids will want to wear. Back zip with short zipper leash for easy dressing and undressing
Summer will be here soon and children will swim any time they get a chance. I think the CDC guidelines are so important as it is so tragic for a child to die or live with brain damage due to drowning. This is a preventable accident. If you are not comfortable with performing CPR, call the Red cross and take a class which would only take about a half a day. There are even classes online.
Have fun with your children and make it a safe summer!
Some of my Hubs
- Childhood Obesity Begins in Infancy
Childhood obesity has more than tripled over the past 30 years beginning in infancy according to the CDC; nearly 15% of children according to Mayo Clinic are officially obese. Childhood obesity is the...
- Child Safety for Babies and Toddlers
The leading cause of death for children is accidents and most of these deaths are preventable. This year about one in four children (14 million) will suffer an injury that will require medical attention. Of...
- Children Pre-School Age Separation Anxiety
It is natural for a preschool child to feel anxious when they are left in a new environment without mommy or daddy, which is referred to as separation anxiety. After all, starting preschool is a big step for a...
- No CPR Certification Required to Save a Life
The new CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) is a wonderful life saving technique for sudden death and now much easier to accomplish than the using the older criteria. I taught CPR classes for many years, and...
Some of my Hubs
- Carnival Cruise Family Reunion
Im not sure who came up with the idea of a family cruise but as my husband and I had taken cruises before, I was designated to coordinate a family reunion on a cruise ship with 28 people, covering...
- Health Problems Related to Childhood Obesity
Health problems related to childhood obesity are confirmed In the CDC book published last year on the health consequences of obesity as more than 72 million people are obese in the USA, and 16% of the...
- Weight Training for Teens a Win-Win Situation
Teenagers are taking up weight lifting in record numbers around the world and by all accounts it is a win-win situation. This helps them build muscles, add stamina and gain strength so they are more...
- My 100th Hub -my Special Granddaughter
This is my 100th Hub! I never though I would hang in here this long, but I really like HubPages, so here I am. Since it is my 100th, Ive decided not to write a serious article but something positive that...