- Family and Parenting»
- Babies & Baby Care
What's the Best Cloth Diaper Brand? 10 Popular Brands and Why We Love Them
Searching for the Perfect Cloth Diapers for Your Baby
Cloth diapering is not only great for the environment, but can save you a lot of money for the duration of the several years that your child, or children, will be in diapers. That said, since it is recommended that you purchase 20-30 cloth diapers for your "stash", there can be a significant up-front cost to buy your diapers. That makes it important that you make the right choice when selecting the brand that you will use. This article gives a description and summary of the 10 most popular cloth diaper brands.
As always, I will recommend that you purchase one diaper from a couple of different brands and use them on your baby before you commit to purchasing a full supply. This will ensure that you don't spend too much on diapers that will not work for you. All babies have their own unique body shape, so no one brand will fit perfectly on every baby.
bumGenius is an American company that was launched in 2005. The majority of their products are manufactured in the United States and their diapers are sold at major retailers including Target, Buy Buy Baby, and Babies R Us. Their diapers are also sold by almost all merchants that sell cloth diapers. The core bumGenius product line includes:
- 4.0 (V4)- This is a one-size pocket diaper that features durable snap closures help keep diapers on older babies, easily replaceable elastic to keep diapers fresh, 3x3 snap down design to accommodate babies from approximately 7-35+ pounds, a waterproof insert, wide slot opening to easily stuff and remove insert, and a slot cover to protect baby from wetness.
- Freetime- The bumGenius Freetime is an all-in-one (AIO) one-size cloth diaper. It features a butterfly closure system, "no-stuff" design with semi-attached, stay dry inserts, and a 3x3 snap down design to accommodate babies from approximately 7-35+ pounds.
- Elemental- The bumGenius Elemental features 6 layers of super absorbent, certified organic cotton, an ultra-trim fit, the ability to easily tuck any insert inside diaper for custom absorbency, durable snap closures, a 3x3 snap down design to accommodate babies from approximately 7-35+ pounds, and trim, snug and comfortable stretchy tabs gently flex around your baby.
- Newborn- The bumGenius Newborn diaper features an all-in-one is a cloth diaper with the absorbent layer integrated into the waterproof outer layer, an outer fabric that is safe to wash in hot water, easy hook & loop closure, an ultra-absorbent inner-core, and ultra-gentle leg elastic to keep messes in.
- Flip- The Flip system is customizable since it features a one-size cover with 3 different options for inserts: stay-dry, organic, or disposable. The cover itself is available in snap or hook & loop closure, has stretch-to fit tabs for a customizable fit, contour flap to hold inserts in place, form-fitting leg elastic to prevent leaks, and a waterproof exterior to wipe clean and reuse.
GroVia modern cloth diapers are designed, developed and manufactured by The Natural Baby Company, a family-owned business committed to providing innovative natural parenting products. The Natural Baby Company is located in Montana and distributes to retailers around the country. Major retailers include Buy Buy Baby, Diaper Junction, the Green Nursery, Kelly's Closet, and Nicki's Diapers, as well as many other online and physical cloth diaper retailers. Products include:
- The GroVia Hybrid Diaper System- The Grovia hybrid contains the choice of selecting either Hook & Loop or Snap closure. Adjustable rise snaps allows you to adjust the diaper and accommodate babies 8-35+ pounds. The outer cover has a thermal-waterproof coating and you have the option to choose an organic, stay-dry cotton or disposable pad for the inner insert.
- All-In-One- The Grovia All-In-One cloth diaper features a waterproof outer layer and an ultra-absorbent organic cotton inner soaker which are sewn together for ultimate ease and convenience. The diaper fits babies 10-35+ pounds.
- My Choice Trainer- The GroVia My Choice Trainer features a unique pull up design with a waterproof outer layer, interchangeable flexible side panels to fit 1T-3T, a hidden layer of hemp/cotton blend with a pocket to allow for adding extra absorbency.
The gDiaper cloth diapering system combines a cloth outside cover (similar to a diaper wrap) with an absorbent, flushable insert or a nylon snap-in liner. The outer cover, or gPants come in 5 sizes to ensure a snug fit on your little one. The newborn size, which accommodates 6-10 pounds, the small size that fits 8-14 pounds, the medium size which fits 13-28 pounds, the large size which fits 26-36 pounds and the Xlarge size that fits 34+ pounds. Disposable inserts come in two sizes Newborn/small (use in newborn and small gPants) and Medium/large/xlarge (use in medium, large and xlarge gPants). The alternative insert, a cloth insert comes in sizes Small (use in small gPants) and Medium/large/xlarge (use in medium, large and xlarge gPants). All covers (gPants) have a velcro, hook & loop closure. Additionally, you can purchase a "swishstick" to help break apart the insert to flush them easier down the toilet. gDiapers can be purchased at major retailers such as Walmart, Target, Babies R Us, and Buy Buy Baby making these diapers extremely easy to buy and add to registries. Additionally, you can purchase them at many other cloth diaper retailers and online shops.
Thirsties brand makes eco-friendly, cloth diapers. All diapers are manufactured in the US and in addition to making "green products" their manufacturing and packaging are also focused on utilizing renewable energy and recycled materials. Most products are available in both the hook & loop (aplix) or snap closure. Thirsties diapers are loved by mommas everywhere for their ease, eco-friendly nature, low price, and their fun colors and prints. The main products in the Thirsties diapers line are:
- One-size all-in-one (AIO)- The Thirsties one-size all in one diaper features fast drying time, convenient, trim fitting, and absorbent liner, one size rise snaps for a customizable fit, 4 total layers of absorbent microfiber terry, a microfleece liner and a reliable waterproof exterior. option of hook & loop or snap configuration with two rows of snaps,gentle elastic around legs and waist provide protection against leaks, and stay-dry microfleece liner to provide wetness protection.
- One-size pocket diaper- The Thirsties one-size pocket diaper features a two-piece pocket system combining 8 layers of absorbency with a waterproof exterior, front rise snaps to provide a customizable fit for most babies from 8 to 40 lbs, newborn insert and full size insert with customizable absorbancy, option of hook & loop or snap configuration with two rows of snaps, and gentle elastic around legs and waist provide protection against leaks.
- Duo Wrap- The Thirsties Duo Wrap is an adjustable waterproof cover to wear over your choice of inserts. While the diapers can expand in size, there are 2 sizes needed to go all the way from birth to potty. There are leg gussets for advanced leak protection, and the option for either hook & loop or snap closure.
Duo Fab Fitted- The Thirsties Fab Fitted diaper are trimly shaped soft diapers with a stay-dry liner that must be used with a separate water-proof cover. The internal soaker is composed of three layers of microfiber terry that can absorb up to seven times its weight in liquid with a a tunnel behind the soaker which allows for better washing, quicker drying, and stuffing of additional absorbency when needed. The diapers are available in either hook & loop or snap closures.
- Diaper Cover- The Thirsties diaper cover is the brand's original waterproof cover. The cover features a hook & loop closure, leg gussets for advanced leak protection, a generous cut to provide a superior waterproof exterior on any type of flat, prefolded, or fitted cloth diaper, and X-small, small, medium, and large sizes to offer specialized fit.
Tots Bots is a U.K. based, family-owned and run company that began in January 2001. Their washable, reusable cloth diaper products include the Flexitot, the Flexiwrap, the Easyfit, the Bamboozle Stretch, and the Easy Fit V2, V3, & V4. Below is a description of each type of diaper:
- Flexitot- The Flexitot is a two-part diaper system with 2 sizes to get a custom fit for your baby. The size 1 fits from as low as 6 pounds and the size 2 fits from 9 pounds. The diaper is very absorbent with super-stretcy fabrics to ensure a snug, slim fit. A waterproof wrap must be worn over this diaper.
- Flexi-wrap- The flexi wrap is a waterproof, breathable diaper cover with aplix (hook and loop) closure.
- Easyfit- The Easyfit is an all-in-one (AIO) diaper system that is great for use during the day or overnight on light wetters.
- Bamboozle Stretch-This diaper is a two-part system. There is a stay-dry liner with a separate, waterproof wrap to be worn over the top. This combo is great for heavy wetters and for overnight use.
- Teenyfit- The Teenyfit is an all-in-one (AIO) diaper system with a smaller, slimmer fit that is great for preemies, early babies, and twins.
Charlie Banana was created by Winc Design Limited, a Hong Kong-based company. They manufacture nearby in order to reduce overall pricing, which makes them an affordable option among the major cloth diaper brands. Charlie Banana diapers can be found at major retailers such as Walmart, Target, Babies R Us, and Buy Buy Baby making these diapers extremely easy to buy and add to registries. Additionally, you can purchase them at many other cloth diaper retailers and online shops. Products include:
- Extraordinary Swim Diaper- The Charlie Banana organic cotton lining reusable swim diaper & diaper cover have an outer layer that is waterproof and a soft organic cotton lining inside against your baby's skin. The diaper comes in 4 sizes: Small, Medium, Large, and X-Large. The diaper cover can also be used in place of a traditional diaper cover for everyday use.
- Extraordinary Training Pants-The Charlie Banana Training Pants contain waterproof covers lined with organic cotton inside. The diaper comes in 4 sizes: Small, Medium, Large, and X-Large.
One Size Hybrid System- Charlie Banana one-size diapers have adjustable rise snaps to fit babies from birth to potty-training age. They are a 2-in-one system where you have the option to place a reusable, washable or disposable insert into a fleece flap. The diapers also feature wide back elastic, a side snap, and leakproof leg casing.
- Sized- Charlie Banana sized diapers are available in Xsmall, small, medium, and large size to ensure a custom, easy fit. They are a 2-in-one system where you have the option to place a reusable, washable or disposable insert into a fleece flap. The diapers also feature wide back elastic, a side snap, and leakproof leg casing.
OsoCozy products are manufactured and distributed by the All Together Diaper Company located in Utah. The diapers are 100% cotton which makes them fairly unique in the diaper market. A full listing of where to purchase their diapers can be found at their website: http://www.osocozy.com/where-to-buy/. Here are the main products they offer:
- All In One- The Osocozy All-in-one diaper features a contoured form-fitting shape, soft, breathable and durable outer liner, snap closures, attached exterior insert, and the option to select bleached or unbleached version.
- Fitted- The Osocozy fitted diaper is best if you want a trim-fitting contoured diaper that is easy to wash and put on baby. These diapers must be used with waterproof covers. The outer layers are made of 100% birdseye weave cotton and the interior is made of multiple layers of absorbent flannel. The sizes available range from small through toddler. The diapers are available in bleached, unbleached and organic.
- Prefolds- Osocozy prefolds are best if you want an inexpensive, easy to launder cloth diapering system. Prefolds are often used with waterproof diaper covers. Pins or other diaper fastners are optional if you want to secure the prefold together. The Osocozy has features of 100% Cotton, available in bleached, unbleached, and organic fabrics.
- Flats- Osocosy flat diapers are best if you are looking for an inexpensive option that washes easy and sun dries quickly. They can be pinned or folded insert style into diaper covers.OsoCozy Flat diapers are all 100% cotton and 1 layer thick. The diapers are generally thicker, softer and more absorbent than other branded flat diapers typically found in chain stores.
Bummis was founded in 1988 by two industrious mothers. All products are manufactured in North America and the majority of their materials are produced in North America as well. Bummis diapers are sold by boutique stores throughout the US and Canada as well as many internet retailers. For a listing of where to find Bummis diapers, go to http://www.bummis.com/us/en/find-a-retailer.php. The Bummis product line includes:
- Flannel Fitted- The Bummis Flannel Fitted diaper features a 100% organic cotton sherpa interior, cute flannel exterior in a variety of prints and colors, trim fit with cross-over tabs and rise snaps for adjustable size, and wide elastic along back panel. This diaper must be used with a waterproof cover.
- Dimple Diaper- The Bummis Dimple Diaper is a great overnight solution. It features an incredibly absorbent core and included booster for leak-free nights, soft, organic cotton interior and exterior, a double-sided booster with stay-dry polyester on one side and organic cotton on the other, 100% natural fibers, adjustable rise snaps and cross-over waist tabs for a perfect fit, and wide elastic against the back panel. A waterproof diaper cover must be used with this diaper.
- Duo-Brite Wrap- The Bummis Duo Bright Wrap features two adjustable sizes. Size 1 fits 8-20 pounds and size 2 fits 20-35 pounds. The waterproof wrap has tummy-hugging elastic at the waist and comfy gussets for added leak protection. There is a wipe-clean interior and a trim fit. This wrap must be worn with an absorbent insert.
- Duo-Brite Insert- The Bummis Duo-Bright Insert has a contoured fit and is double-sided, with stay-dry polyester on one side and organic cotton on the other. There are two sizes, with Size 1 fitting 8-20 pounds and size 2 fitting 20-35 pounds. The inserts fit perfectly into the Duo-Bright Wrap to form an All-In-Two diaper system.
- Super Brite- The Bummis Super Brite is very similar to the Duo-Bright Wrap, but made especially for newborns. The wrap fits babies 4-9 pounds. This wrap must be used with an absorbent insert.
Kissaluvs is a family-owned and operated company dedicated to creating and providing natural family products. Their diapers are sold throughout the USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, and other areas. Kissaluvs can be found at major retailers such as Diapers.com, Sears, and Amazon. Kissaluvs can also be found at many online retailers and local boutiques. Their main products include:
- Marvels One-Size- The Kissaluvs One-Size all-in-one diaper fits babies 7-35 pounds and includes all you need for diapering. Features include a waterproof exterior, stay-dry fleece lining, gentle and sturdy elastic around the legs, adjustable snaps for appropriate sizing, and a pocket in the back to stuff additional soakers if needed.
- Newborn AIO- The Kissaluvs Newborn is an all-in-one diaper that fits babies 5-15 pounds. There is a waterproof and durable exterior with stay-dry fleece interior. There is also an umbilical snap down to protect the baby's cord and gentle elastic that keeps leaks in.
- Pocket Trainers- Kissa's Pocket Training Pants are available in sizes 2T and 3T and features an adjustable design with 4 snap settings to modify leg and waist openings as needed. There is a printed flannel inner area to help create the "wet" feeling for a quicker transition. There is also a waterproof outer layer which allows the diaper to double as a pocket diaper if stuffed with an insert. The diapers can be pull up or snap on.
- Kissa's Cotton Fleece- The Kissa's Cotton Fleece is a fitted cloth diaper available in 2 sizes (0/Newborn fits 5-15 pounds and M/L fits 15-40 pounds). The diapers feature textured fabrics to contain the runniest of messes, fabric options of unbleached cotton fleece or colors, stretchy elastic for a snug fit, elastic at leg and back openings, snaps for easy fastening and security, adjustable wing snaps for a customizable fit, and absorbent microfiber soakers sewn into the diapers.
- Kissa's Organic Cotton / Hemp- The Kissa's Organic Cotton / Hemp Fitted Diaper has the same features as the Kissa's Cotton Fleece fitted, however, it is made of 55% hemp and 45% organic cotton which makes it very environmentally safe.
- Kissa's Kuties Diaper Covers- Kissaluv's diaper covers include the Marvels One Size Cover and the Kissa's Kuties Printed Diaper Cover. Both havea durable, waterproof exterior, fit size 8-40 pounds, gentle elastic in leg gussets to provide excellent containment, cross-over waist snaps to ensure a good fit on all babies, and a lifetime-guaranteed snap closure.
- Kissa's Hybrid One Size- The Kissa's Hybrid One Size is a contoured diaper with textured, custom-made fabrics to help contain messes. The diapers fit babies 7-35 pounds and include a uniquely sewn-in soaker/doubler for fast drying time. There are no closures, so a Snappi, pin, or snug-fitting cover must be used. The microfiber soaker is topped with fleece for enhanced absorbency and the attached doubler stays put.
FuzziBunz was founded in 1999 by a young mother looking for an update on the traditional cloth diaper. FuzziBunz is known for their very unique sizing system. Their main product, the FuzziBunz Adjustable Diaper, is a "one-size" diaper, although they are technically available in 2 sizes. Choose Size 1 if your baby is a newborn, you enjoy a trimmer-fitting diaper without a lot of "poof" or your children run on the smaller size. Choose Size 2 if you are beginning your cloth diaper journey after the newborn stage of diapering, you want the diaper to last through potty training, your children potty train late, or your children run on the larger size. This pocket diaper features size customization using the leg and waist buttonhole elastic inside of the diaper and multiple outside snap positions. Each pocket diaper comes with a contoured, microfiber terry cloth absorbent insert. Sewn to the colorful outer shell is the water-wicking polar fleece which forms the pocket opening. The included, contoured absorbent insert fits into this pocket and absorbs wetness away from baby's bottom. A listing of retailers can be found at: http://fuzzibunz.com/pages/find-a-retailer
What is your favorite cloth diaper brand?
What's your Favorite Cloth Diaper Brand?
Do you have a favorite cloth diaper brand not listed here? If so, please share in the "comments" section below. Also, I'd love your feedback on any of the above-listed brands. It is very helpful to other mamas starting out on the cloth diapering journey or mamas looking to make a switch. Thank you!
Helpful Cloth Diapering Links
- The True Value of Cloth Diapering and How to Find th...
Tips on finding the lowest prices on cloth diapers. Find cloth diapers on clearance and cloth diaper coupon codes. Brands include bumGenius, Flips, FuzziBunz, Gdiapers, Thirsties, Econobums,and more
- The Complete Guide of Cloth Diaper Terms, Phrases, a...
The idiot's guide to understanding cloth diaper phrases, terms, acronyms, and definitions. The best and fullest list of words used in community boards and chats. Increase your lingo and expertise.
- Clearance Cloth Diapers: 40+ Websites to Help you Sa...
A comprehensive list of cloth diaper clearance sites. Find bumGenius clearance, Flip clearance, Thirsties clearance, FuzziBunz clearance, gDiapers clearance, GroVia clearance, Rumparooz, and more...
- bumGenius 4.0 vs. Freetime Cloth Diaper Review and C...
Help decide between bumGenius Freetime and 4.0 diaper styles. Pros and Cons for bum genius diapers. Advice and help to guide you in your cloth diaper choice. Find the best cloth diaper for you.