The Duggar's, from "19' Kids and Counting" Religious Beliefs.
The Duggars From "19 Kids and Counting" Religious Beliefs
Many people have heard or seen the show ''19 Kids and Counting, '' but they don't understand why they do what they do. This article should help clarify their banal stance. They state they are Independent Baptists and are not part of the Quiverfull movement. They follow many of the Old Testament commandments because they claim that many of them are still good rules to live by.
1. While there is no family rule, Jim Bob and Michelle feel a conviction that they should not dance. The children are not told they cannot dance, it is just not something that is encouraged,
2. They wait 40 days after the birth of a boy to have sex. They must wait 80 days after the birth of a girl. They have no sex while Michelle is on her cycle, but they do have it seven days after her cycle.
Leviticus 12: 1-6
1 The LORD said to Moses, 2 "Say to the Israelites: 'A woman who becomes pregnant and gives birth to a son will be ceremonially unclean for seven days, just as she is unclean during her monthly period. 3 On the eighth day the boy is to be circumcised. 4 Then the woman must wait thirty-three days to be purified from her bleeding. She must not touch anything sacred or go to the sanctuary until the days of her purification are over. 5 If she gives birth to a daughter, for two weeks the woman will be unclean, as during her period. Then she must wait sixty-six days to be purified from her bleeding.
4. They do not eat pork.
5. They keep their hair long since the Bible says that a woman's hair is her crown and glory. The Bible says if you trim your hair, you might as well shave it off.
1 Corinthians 11:5 - But every woman that prayer or prophesies with [her] head uncovered dishonours her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
6. They also wear long skirts that must cover the knee. They do not wear pants since that would be considered masculine. They claim this verse when asked:
"A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.
7. The do wear bathing suits. It's a dress that has sleeves and goes past the knees.
8. For the unmarried kids, when they decide that they are ready to become wife or husband, the boy has to go ask her dad if she can court him. All dates must be chaperoned. They do not hold hands, kiss, or do a full frontal hug until they marry. They can do a "Christian side hug."
9. They believe a woman should submit sexually whenever he wants; no matter wants. She said, "In your marriage there will be times you're going to be very exhausted. Your hubby comes home after a hard day's work; you get the baby to bed, and he is going to be looking forward to that time with you. Be available. Anyone can fix him lunch, but only one person can meet that physical need of love that he has, and you always need to be available when he calls." (Except for sex when she's on her period, and for seven days afterwards).
10. Since the Bible says to go forth and multiply, they interpret that, and people should keep that philosophy. They state that it is a huge urban legend set out by liberals. They claim everyone in the world can fit inside the state of Jacksonville, Florida. They have obviously never been to NYC, or Jacksonville, Florida.
On a personal note, while I do not necessarily agree with many of their beliefs; I see that they are good people, and that they love their children very, very much. All of the Duggar kids are smart, play musical instruments, keep their virginity until marriage, and love their family. They can afford their kids, and make sure that each of them is given personal time. Michelle and Jim Bob have a date night every Saturday, just the two of them.
1. The King James Version Bible
2. 19 Kids and Counting Show