Things to Carry in a Diaper Bag
Diaper Bag Essentials for Infants
Before you leave the house with your infant you will need to make sure all the essential items are packed into the diaper bag. The first couple of times you do this you may find that you have packed some things you didn't need and forgot some things you did need. Don't worry, after a few outings you will know exactly what is needed before you leave the house.
Here are some basic items you will want to have in your infants diaper bag.
- Enough Diapers and Wipes
- Changing pad
- Hand sanitizer for yourself
- Clean bottles and formula (if you are bottle feeding)
- Light blanket to cover up if breastfeeding
- Burping Cloths/Towels
- Extra clothes in case of an accident or weather changes
This is a basic list of items that you may need for your infant. There is no right or wrong way to back a diaper bag. All you need is a system that works best for you and your baby!
Diaper Bag Items for Toddlers
The items needed in a diaper bag change as you enter your child's toddler years. You may still need to pack diapers for awhile and when potty training starts you may wish to carry extra pull-ups or training pants. You will no longer need to carry formula but that will be replaced with juice or water along with some healthy snacks.
This is a list of items you may wish to pack for your toddler.
- Diapers, Pull-ups, or Training Pants along with wipes
- Changing pad
- Extra clothing in case of an accident or a change in weather
- Water or Juice in a sippy cup
- Jars of baby food or other healthy age appropriate snacks
- Hand Sanitizer for you
As your child grows you will be able to pack less items in a diaper bag. By the time your child enters his toddler years you will have an excellent idea of what you will need when leaving the house.
"Diaper Bag" for Older Children
It is always a good idea to pack a "diaper bag" even for older children when going on day trips or if you planning on being away from home for a few hours. By the time your child is potty trained you will no longer need to carry diapers or training pants but it is still a good idea to take some extra items along with you just in case you might need them.
I have four children under twelve years old and every time I leave the house for a long period of time I still take along a "diaper bag".
Here is a list of items you may wish to pack for older children.
- Extra clothing such as; shirt, pants/shorts, underwear, socks, etc. You never know when you might need these items.
- Drinks and healthy snacks
- Anything else that may be appropriate for where you going
Every time my family takes a day trip I always back extra items we may need. I even take items that my husband and I may need. Even though many times we do not need to use anything that was packed there are times that the extra items came in handy. So this is always a good idea when traveling with children.