Things to Do in March with Your Family
Looking for some fun things to do with your family during the cold and rainy month of March? Here are some options based on March holidays that you may not be aware of.
March 1 - National Pig Day
A Texas Art Teacher named Ellen Stanley created National Pig Day in 1972 to honor the intelligent domestic animals. To celebrate National Pig Day, you are your family can:
- Read a pig book, like my favorite "If you give a pig a pancake."
- Have a competition to see who can make the best pig sound.
- Make pigs in a blanket.
- Make some pig art. Draw Pictures of pig or make pig puppets.
- Talk in pig Latin.
March 1 - Peanut Butter Lovers Day
For Peanut Butter Lover's Day you and your family can:
- Make your own peanut butter using the below recipe.
- Homemade Honey- Roasted Peanut Butter | RecipeBoy
Recipe for how to make Homemade Honey- Roasted Peanut Butter. Photographs included.
How to Make Homemade Peanut Butter
2. Deliver jars of your freshly made peanut butter to friends and family.
3. Make some other great recipes using peanut butter. I listed some of my favorite recipes that include peanut butter below.
- Peanut Butter-Banana Bread Recipe
A recipe for a moist, delicious Peanut Butter-Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips.
Homemade Peanut Butter Cup Recipe
March 2 - Old Stuff Day
Almost every day someone asks me "What's going on?" And, I will respond with "Not much" or Nothing really." Today is the day to turn those boring old responses and unexciting daily routines into something exciting. Throw off the doldrums and do something you have been wanting to do.
March 3 - I Want You To Be Happy Day
On I Want You To Be Happy Day you and your family can:
- Think of ways to make others happy.
- Sit down with the entire family and take turns telling each other what you love most about them.
- Take turns telling jokes.
March 3 - If Pets Had Thumbs Day
Most animals do not have opposable thumbs. If they did, they might be able to get their own food, use the can opener, or play video games! Talk about this idea with your family and come up with some other ideas that pets could do if they had thumbs.
March 3 - National Anthem Day
March 3rd if National Anthem Day because this date in 1931 is the day that the United States adopted the Star Spangled Banner as it's national anthem. To celebrate this special day you and your family can:
- Put your flag up with a special ceremony attended by the entire family.
- Sing the star spangled banner.
- Draw pictures or make other artwork using the imagery in the Star Spangled Banner.
- Read about the history of the Star Spangled Banner.
March 4 - Hug A GI Day
A GI describes someone in the army. GI stands for General Infantry or Government Issue. On this day in March you can hug a GI or anyone in the military and thank them for their service.
March 11 - Johnny Appleseed Day
John Chapman, better known as Johnny Appleseed, was an American settler who traveled west. As he travelled he planted apple seeds along the way. He also sold apple trees to other settlers. To celebrate Johnny Appleseed Day you and your family can:
- Plant an apple tree.
- Make an apple pie, baked apple pie egg rolls, or apple pie dip. Some recipes are below.
- Make carmel apples.
- Read a book about Johnny Appleseed.
Johnny Appleseed Books
- Apple Pie Dip & Cinnamon-Sugar Tortilla Chips
Perfect for afternoon snack or tea parties. You can also use the Apple Pie Dip as pie filling or ice cream topping!
- Classic Apple Pie - Martha Stewart Recipes
Get Martha Stewart's Classic Apple Pie recipe. Also browse hundreds more test kitchen-approved food recipes and cooking tips from Martha Stewart.
March 11 - Worship of Tools Day
On Worship of Tools Day you and your family can:
- Sing "If I had a hammer."
- Spend time with the family teaching them how to use tools.
- Complete a building project as a family.
March 12 - Plant A Flower Day
On plant a flower day you and your family can plant one flower or lots of flowers. Since I live in St. Louis, Missouri it is usually to cold to start planting outdoors in mid-March. Another option would be to plant potted plants indoors or start seedlings to be planted outdoors in 6-8 weeks.
March 13 - Earmuff Day
I love earmuffs! I think they are so cute. My favorite kind are the earmuffs with the built in speakers that connect to ipods. On Ear Muff Day, you and your family can sport your ear muffs or wear buy new ones.
March 14 - Learn about Butterflies Day
On Learn about Butterflies Day you and your family can:
- Read a butterfly identification book.
- Make butterfly art like the below link to Butterfly Object Art using paper butterfly printouts, a saucer, a branch, and a glass dome.
- Make plans to plant flowers in the spring that will attract butterflies. Dianthus, Verbana, and Marigolds are great options.
March 14 - National Potato Chip Day
On National Potato Chip Day, you and your family can make your own potato chips. I have provided the link to a great recipe for homemade potato chips with avocado ranch dip below.
March 14 - National Pi Day
Mathematics is celebrated on 3/14 since Pi starts with 3.14. To celebrate, you and your family can:
- See who can memorize the most digits in Pi.
- Make up a poem about Pi.
- Make apple pie.
- Have dinner with only foods that have pi in the name such as PIzza,sPInach dip, key lime PIe, and PIna coladas.
March 15 - Ides of March
On the Ides of March you and your family can:
- Learn about the Ides of March and it's historical significance.
- Since the Ides of March is often associated with Rome and Julius Caesar you can have a toga party.
- Eat like the Romans with apples, figs, grapes, and wine.
- Learn some Latin phrases.
March 15 - Absolutely Incredible Kid Day
On Absolutely Incredible Kid Day you can:
- Write a letter to each of your kids or any child in your life telling them how much they mean to you.
- Make awards for your kids for being absolutely incredible. Throw a special ceremony and banquet to give them the awards.
March 17 - Submarine Day
March 17th celebrates the establishment of the US Submarine Force in 1900. To celebrate Submarine Day, you and your family can:
- Watch movies with submarines in them like "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" or "The Abyss".
- Visit a naval museum.
- Eat Submarine Sandwiches.
- Sing "Yellow Submarine" by The Beatles.
March 17 - Saint Patrick's Day
To celebrate St. Patrick's Day, you and your family can:
- Dress all in green including painting your finger nails green.
- Make green food for breakfast.
- Read the book "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Suess.
- Create a scavenger hunt through the house where the children have to find gold covered chocolate coins.
- Read about St. Patrick.
March 18 - Supreme Sacrifice Day
Supreme Sacrifice Day is all about honoring and remembering those who have sacrificed of themselves for others. Some examples of people who have given a supreme sacrifice could be firefighters, military men and women, or Jesus Christ. To celebrate this day you and your family can:
- Show appreciation to those you know who have sacrificed for the good of others. Send them a card, write them a letter, or bring them some brownies.
- Talk about who you are thankful for and have a moment of silence for those individuals or pray for them.
- Do a good deed.
March 19 - Poultry Day
Usually when I hear the word poultry I think of chickens. But poultry really includes chicken, quail, turkey, duck, pheasant, and goose. On Poultry Day, you should be able to find lots of options to eat! You and your family can:
- Prepare meals with eggs, chicken, or Cornish hens.
- Buy some baby chicks to raise as your own.
March 20 - International Earth Day
International Earth Day was created to help us remember that we are the caretakers of the planet and we are responsible for it. To celebrate International Earth Day, you and your family can:
- Pick up trash in your area.
- Time your water usage. See if you can beat your time. Make a game of it and have everyone participate. This doesn't have to be just on International Earth Day but everyday.
- Take a hike and enjoy nature.
March 20 - Extraterrestrial Abductions Day
You can watch the skies on Extraterrestrial Abductions Day or you can:
- Watch movies about aliens. I like E.T. myself.
- Make alien art imaging what you think aliens look like.
- Make tin foil hats.
March 22 - National Goof Off Day
On National Goof Off Day do something that your family enjoys doing together. My family would probably have pizza, watch a movie, and play a Wii game like Just Dance 3. Some other ideas for celebrating this fun day are:
- Sleep in.
- Stay in your pj's all day and watch your favorite tv series back to back.
- Have a karaoke party.
- Go to the movies.
- Play laser tag, mini golf, or go bowling.
March 23 - National Chip and Dip Day
On National Chip and Dip day you can go to the store and buy your favorite snacks or you can make some homemade chips and dip and home. Below is a link to the recipes that the Cooking Channel has named the best chips and dip recipes.
- Best Chips and Dips : Recipes : Cooking Channel
Everyone loves chips and dip and Cooking Channel has fun and delicious recipes like guacamole, hot spinach and artichoke dip, loaded nachos and more.
March 24 - National Chocolate Covered Raisin Day
On National Chocolate Covered Raisins Day you can eat Raisinets or make your own chocolate covered raisins. I have added a link below to a recipe.
March 25 - Pecan Day
To celebrate Pecan Day, you and your family can:
- Plant a pecan tree.
- Make your favorite pecan recipes.
- Make Rosemary and Pecan Chicken Tenders with Honey Mustard Dip.
March 25 - Waffle Day
On Waffle Day, you and your family can have waffles for breakfasts, chicken and waffles for dinner, and chocolate cake waffles for dessert if you want to.
March 26 - Make Up Your Own Holiday Day
On Make Up Your Own Holiday Day, you and your family can brainstorm your own holidays. You don't have to celebrate the holidays today. You can plan them for future days. For instance, my family has two made up holidays. We celebrate Pumpkin Day on a Saturday in October prior to Halloween. My parents have a farm where they have a pumpkin patch just for the grand kids to pick pumpkins. On Pumpkin Day our whole family gets together on the farm, we do something fun like a scavenger hunt, feed the farm animals, have lunch, and pick pumpkins. It is always a memorable day.
Our other family holiday is the Saturday before Thanksgiving. It is called Leaf Day. We spend the day with relatives we won't see on Thanksgiving. We have a big thanksgiving type meal and then rake up all the leaves into a huge leaf pile and everyone takes turns jumping in!
March 28 - Something on a Stick Day
There are a lot of foods that can be put on a stick. You can have corn dogs, carmel apples, cotton candy, cheesecake on a stick, cake pops and much more. For recipes for creative foods on a stick see the below link.
March 30 - Take a Walk in the Park Day
On Take a Walk in the Park Day you and your family can do just that. Or, you can go for a hike or talk your dog to the dog park.
Second Thursday of March - Popcorn Lover's Day
In my house, we love popcorn so every day is popcorn lover's day. On this second Thursday in March you can celebrate by eating regular popcorn, carmel popcorn, kettle corn, or make popcorn balls. You could also invent your own popcorn flavoring and have a popcorn and movie night.
Irish American Month
During Irish American Month, you and your family can:
- Host an Irish potluck where each family brings an Irish dish to share.
- Bake green foods.
- Participate in St. Patrick's Day festivities.
- Visit local attractions featuring Irish exhibits.
National Craft Month
Are there crafts that you have pinned on Pinterest but not done yet? Or, is there something you have been meaning to learn like how to make candles or sew? In March, there is not much to do outside so take this time to work on crafts you have been wanting to do.
2nd Week in March - National Bubble Week
Created in 2000 by a bubble company named Koosh Bubbles this is a fun family holiday. During the second week in March, you and your family can break out the bubbles, bubbles wands, and bubble guns and have a great time.
- March 2013 Holidays Special Days - Ides of March, St. Patrick's Day, at Holiday Insights
March 2013 Holidays Bizarre Special Days Ides of March, St. Patrick's Day