Things to buy for newborn babies
The moment you get pregnant, in addition to searching for a name for the baby, you are thinking and shopping for things for the baby. There is a lot of shopping to do and it takes a lot of time exploring your options and shopping for the best safest items and toys while keeping the cost low. Welcoming a newborn baby requires many months to get yourself and your beautiful home ready for the new member to your family. It is always good to buy some of the baby things in advance to care of the baby during the early months. You will be busy in doing things like changing baby diapers, changing baby clothes and cleaning umbelical cord you will not have time to do detailed shopping. Here is a list that you will need to buy before the baby is born.
List of things for newborn babies:
1. Car seat: This is one of the time consuming things to shop for. I would advise buying a travel system that has both a car seat and a stroller. The main advantage is that the car seat fits into the stroller. So, when the baby is sleeping in the car seat, you don't have to wake up the baby to get into the stroller. You can just fit the car seat into the stroller and the baby's nap is undisturbed. I bought the Graco travel system which I have no complaints about. The rear facing car seat can be used up to 1 year or 22 pounds of your baby's weight. Follow the instructions for fitting the car seat and you can go to the local fire department if you need help.
Crib and bedding set:
Crib bedding set for boys
2. Crib: Crib is another thing to buy for your baby to sleep at night and shopping for a crib takes a lot of time. I bought a crib from JC Penny's website that has slats that are no more than 2 3/8" apart so that baby won't fall out from the crib. Most cribs do not come with the mattresses. You have to buy one separately. You can get good ones from Walmart for low prices. Pick out a mattress that has good back support. I bought the one that are not too soft. Buy the crib that comes with the drawer. It helps to store your baby's clothes and toys. Also, buy
- Crib linens
- 1 matress pad
- 2 crib sheets
- 2 waterproof mattress pads
- 2 light blankets to cover your baby.
3. Diaper related stuff: I bought the infant diapers at target. I like the pampers brand which is really good and do not leak easily. Check out my other hub on how to save money on baby diapers.
Baby wipes: Try to use thick soft wipes to clean your baby's bottom. I like the huggies brand which is thick and really good. You can buy from Costco or Sam's club in bulk to save money. I prefer the unscented ones.
Changing pad: It helps to change your baby's diaper.
Diaper bag: I bought the backpack kind of diaper bag which is easy to carry, looks good and is very convenient. You can pack all your baby's things like formula food, bottles, diapers, wipes, clothes and toys. I bought the one that has a changing mat and bottle holder.
Diaper rash cream: I bought the A&D diaper rash ointment. You can also use this for baby's lip dryness.
Helpful tip: I have been using valuable free coupons from coolsavings.com successfully and saved quite some money.
I bet you will be taking plenty of great pictures and videos once your baby is born and while the baby is growing up. Make sure to organize and save those precious moments.
This article is written originally at http://hubpages.com/hub/Things-to-buy-for-newborn-babies. Do not copy the contents.
4. Baby's clothes: As you know babies grow faster, try to spend less amount of money on clothing. I bought most of the baby clothes at Kohl's during their clearance sale. The clothes were of good quality and at very cheap prices. I got many marked down items for $1 each. You can also buy clothes from the outlet mall, if you have one nearby. Here are the clothes you need for baby.
- 7 onesies (0-3 months)
- 4 stretch suits
- 1 snow suit ( buy if the baby is born during the winter months )
- 2 pairs of socks
- 1 pair of mittens
- 2 hats
- 4 receiving blankets to cover your newborn baby
- 2 thick blankets
- 2 bibs
- 3 wash cloths
5. Bath items:
- Buy packaged bath kits that contain many acessories like thermometer, comb, scissors, nail clippers.
- Shampoo: I personally like Johnson and Johnson's head to toe tear free baby shampoo to bath the baby.
- Baby lotion
- Baby oil: Again, I prefer Johnson's brand
- Aquaphor: For dry skin - I bought the aquaphor which is too oily. I heard that Eucerin is also good.
- Baby comb and nail clippers
- Towel: Always buy the one which is soft and gentle and wash before using.
- Laundry detergent: I like the Dreft brand laundry detergent
- New born first aid kit: I bought the safety 1st brand that comes with the comb, nail cutter, nasal aspirator and thermometer.
6. Breast feeding equipment
- Breast pump to pump your milk into the bottle
- Nursing bras if you are breast feeding
- Breast pads
- Nipple cream
7. Bottle feeding items
- 6 bottles and sterilizing equipment
- 1 bottle brush
- 1 bottle warmer
- Infant formula milk: always check the expiration date and ask your doctor first.
- Rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs (for the umbelical cord)
- Infant tylenol - for fever (you will need it when the baby gets immunization shots)
- Mylicon for gas relief
- optional: Gripe water. A great way to treat your baby's stomach problems. Babies cry a lot and sometimes it could be due to stomach problems. Giving a spoon of gripe water in the morning helps the baby's digestion. You can get gripe water in many Indian grocery stores or at Amazon. You should always consult with a pediatrician before giving medicines to your baby..
9. Other miscellaneous things
- Bouncer: I bought the one that comes with the music, toys and vibrating massager. It helps to keep the baby happy. This is a great way to keep the baby entertained so you will have some time to do other things also.
- 2 pacifiers
- Fischer Price Toys Recall 2010
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Symptoms
- Aromatherapy recipes for massage
- Amoxicillin and children
- Swine flu symptoms in humans
- Jaundice in Newborn Babies
- How to Cut Kids Hair at Home
- Whooping Cough Treatment in Infants:
- How to Calm a Crying Baby
- Breastfeeding Schedule for Newborn Babies
- Hospital Checklist - What to pack for the Hospital for Labor and Delivery
Simple and essential checklist of things for mom, baby and your partner.
- Fun Baby Shower Games for Pregnant Women
- Foods to avoid when breastfeeding
There are certain foods to avoid when breastfeeding. Find out the most common foods that cause discomfort in breastfed babies.
- Foods to avoid during pregnancy
There are foods you should avoid during pregnancy? What foods you can't eat when pregnant? Here's is a list from raw meats to papayas that you should avoid during pregnancy.
- Does your baby show signs of Autism?
Do you wonder if your infant baby is autistic? Here are some general areas where atypical brain development makes itself known in autistic babies.
- Top ten gifts for newborn baby and mother
With description, links and tips
- How to save money on baby diapers
Tips to get free samples and to save money on baby diapers
- How to detect and treat Diarrhea during Pregnancy
How to find whether pregnant women has diarrhea, what causes it, what are the symptoms and what diet should be followed during diarrhea.
- How to breastfeed a baby
Find information on breastfeeding, how to breastfeed, breastfeeding positions, breastfeeding basics and breastfeeding problems/concerns