- Family and Parenting
Tips to Take Care of Newborn Baby for Moms and Dads
As a mom and dad, you must be really happy and amazed when the newborn comes to your home. Everyone in the family is congratulating you over the success you have achieved in your life. You have become a father and mother now and you have so much to think and so many things you want to do. As a father, you want to play with the new one, tickle him on the lips, and ask “hey newbie how are you darling? I missed you when you were in your mom’s tummy” As a mom, your heart is filled with motherhood and you want to do whatever possible to keep your baby happy, jolly, and protected from the world. It’s time to celebrate the most awaited moment in your life but do you know there are a few things that you need to take care of like protecting your kid from infection, starting breastfeeding, using a baby bath, shampoo, and oil, etc. If you don’t about these things, then below are a few tips to take care of your newborn baby from father of a four year old, so that you as a mom and dad don’t lack anywhere in taking the responsibility of your baby:
- The first and foremost tip of all after a baby is born is protecting your baby from infection. The immune system of neonates is not at all developed so you really need to take care. Keep your newbie in an airy room. Change your newborn’s bedding on a daily basis. Keep a mild alcohol hand sanitizer at your home and whenever anyone comes to visit your baby, ask him very polity to wash his hands with the sanitizer. Quarantine family members having contagious and infectious diseases.
- Second tip is to breast feed your newbie till at least 1 year of age. This is very important. One point which is of utmost important is to feed the baby on one breast at a time. Don’t change the side. The next feed should be from the other side. This is because the breast secretes foremilk first which is kind of watery and quenches the baby’s thirst and then it secretes hindmilk which is rich in fats and proteins. If you keep changing sides during the feed which is done traditionally, the baby gets the watery foremilk only. Demand feed the baby and do not set timings for breastfeeding.
- Next tip is to never bathe the newborn baby with hot water, always prepare lukewarm water for this purpose. You can also perform oil massage of your baby before bathing but before doing this always perform an oil patch test for allergy testing. Even Johnson’s Baby Oil or Dabur Lal Tail can cause allergy, so plain coconut oil is recommended. After the baby gets 4 months old, you can keep the baby in sunshine for 10 to 15 minutes after an oil massage; this will give him his daily dose of vitamin D. Daily head bath is not a necessity but if you apply oil to the scalp, wash it off, else it might give your baby a cradle cap.
- Eat a balanced diet with loads of veggies and fruits. Don’t consume nonveg stuff as it may not be properly digested due to recent delivery of the baby. Don’t forget iron, multivitamin, and calcium supplements as long as you breastfeed.
- For fathers, you have to give time to your wife and baby because now your wife is loaded with new responsibilities. Take some time off from the office and try to perform some household chores or at least spend some time with the baby so that your wife can perform her other tasks. At night, sleep together with the baby protecting the baby with your hands. Do these things. You will see that your baby will start loving you with his little hands on your face.
So above were a few tips to take care of newborn babies. There are many more things that should be taken into consideration by mother and father of the new baby like which clothes to wear, how to take your baby outside for the first time, what to do about insects or mosquitoes flying around the newborn, how to change the diaper, and many more things which I will explain in my upcoming articles. Best of luck and enjoy your life with new life that has taken birth in your house.