- Family and Parenting»
The Snorting Cinnamon Challenge. Parents: Lock Up That Cinnamon, It Could Be Dangerous To Your Teenager!
Cinnamon, The Danger In Your Kitchen
Have you heard about the Cinnamon Challenge? I had never heard of this until just recently. Evidently, its the newest craze among teenagers. I remember some pretty crazy things we used to do, but these stunts are getting crazier and crazier. This one has really got me scratching my head. Just when parents think their kids are becoming more mature (?), they go and think up something this outrageous.
I remember a game we played called "Chubby Bunny" when I was a kid. You would stuff a marshmallow in your mouth, but don't chew it. Then you said (with the marshmallow in your mouth), "I am a chubby bunny." Then you put another marshmallow in your mouth and repeat the same phrase. You just keep on going this way until you can no longer say "I'm a chubby bunny." Whoever has the most marshmallows in their mouth wins the game. I guess it would be possible for someone to choke to death playing this silly game, but I don't think that was as dangerous as this new game called the Cinnamon Challenge.
I think this newest game is very dangerous. It can lead to serious health problems according to health professionals who are very concerned about this. We know teenagers are not fully "cooked" until they are 25 years old, and we know they can make some very immature decisions. Most of these crazes come from just wanting attention, I guess. Now with You Tube becoming so popular, it's easy for a teenager to become a superstar overnight.
How The Kids Are Doing The Cinnamon Challenge
The person tries to swallow a teaspoon of cinnamon without drinking water. I watched the video from You Tube, and all I saw was a cloud of cinnamon dust being blown out of the person's mouth. They choke, they sneeze, they gag, they vomit, and they just can't breathe. It is just impossible to swallow that much cinnamon at one time because we don't have enough saliva to absorb the cinnamon. Some of these kids have suffered collapsed lungs. Common sense should tell these kids that can't be good for your lungs. But we parents know our teens don't have a lot of common sense, do they?
Parents Should Be Aware Of This Cinnamon Challenge
This newest craze, the cinnamon challenge is just another subject that parents need to talk to their teenagers about. We parents know very well that when we warn our kids about something, it can just make them do it more. I still think we are obligated as good parents to warn our kids about this potentially dangerous game. As good parents we should make it our responsibility to find out about these new crazes that our kids are indulging in.
If you have teenagers in the house, maybe you should lock up the cinnamon along with the liquor.
It's Hard For Parents To Keep Up With These Fads
It is so hard for parents to "keep up" with all these latest fads that our kids get involved in. I've heard of kids inhaling (huffing) all kinds of toxic stuff that can be deadly. One that comes to mind is inhaling compressed air. There are many solvents they use to get high, but that's another story. It probably never occurs to kids that this cinnamon challenge can be dangerous to them.
An Article In the AARP Magazine About The Cinnamon Challenge
I was very surprised when I got my August/September issue of the AARP Magazine to see they had included a short article about the danger of trying to swallow a spoonful of cinnamon without any water. They point out the possibility this can cause choking, vomiting and vomiting, as well as throat and lung injuries.
I was glad to see this article, because more of us Grandparents were not aware of this danger, so now they will be aware just like I was.
The poison control centers have received many calls from concerned parents.