- Family and Parenting»
- Parenting Skills, Styles & Advice
What it means to be a Full Time Mom
What is it being a Mom?
Being a mom is not something which we can apply for. It's not as easy as filling up an application form and attending an interview.
The job requirements and scope are ever changing and the tenure is life-long. Another thing is that once accepted there is no way you are able to hand in your resignation letter.
As a mom not only are you responsible for your own actions but you are also responsible for the upbringing of the kids under your child.
It's your duty as a mom to nurture them both physically and mentally in hope that one they they will be able to contribute back to society.
With the birth of our first child, the flooding of emotions and sudden increase in responsibility was overwhelming. The fragile little being in my hands was someone who needed my love, care and guidance to be able to blossom into a young adult.
I struggled to cope with the feeding and caring of a really fussy and demanding infant. I wasn't getting proper rest due to the constant night feeds and was totally exhausted.
I was unsure back them if I would be able to cope with all the added stress of caring for a newborn while at the same time performing all the regular duties/chores which I had previously been given.
However as the months and years passed and three kids later, the decision to have kids was something which I never regretted.
The Ups and Downs of Motherhood
Motherhood is not always a bed of roses. It is a constant flux between the highs and lows as we struggle to do the best for our kids.
The Joys that I experience
- To be able to witness the different milestones from birth.
- To savour the moments of bliss seeing the infant happy and being well fed and cared for.
- To hear their first words and them enjoying the simple pleasures in life.
- To have the assurance that my child is given the best possible care by the most appropriate child care giver.
- To be there for my kids and also to know that they appreciate me being there
The Heartaches that I face
- Seeing things being thrown around the house and being destroyed by the kids.
- having to suffer from sleep deprivation to be able to cater for the night feeding sessions.
- getting extremely frustrated when the kids throw tantrums and can't understand even after explaining.
- having restrictions and limitations on privacy and me-time.
- being pulled to breaking point when I have too much on my plate and limited resources to cope with the issues at hand.
No one said that it is easy being a mother. It's even tougher being a fully hands on mother without any helpers around. However the rewards that I get seeing the kids growing up happily and the smiles and hugs that they shower me with is payment enough.
I also know that I have given and am giving my best to my family and this is something which I will never regret.