flacoinohio profile image 80

Is it appropriate for a kindergartener to sign a suspension form with out a parent being present?

My son made a foolish mistake and was suspended from school for half day for telling a girl that he was going to kill her. He did not explain his actions and his statement is part of the "zero tolerance policy" criterion. He and his friends were palying "zombies" and she was unknowingly selected to be a zombie. My son was escorted to the principals office and consequated before he was asked his side of the issue. I can understand the policy and the consequence, but did not think it was right to be handed a sealed envelope containing a document signed by my son with no representation.

cat on a soapbox profile image96

Catherine Tally (cat on a soapbox) says

rutley profile image75

rutley says

• flacoinohio profile image

flacoinohio 5 years ago

I received a single document in a sealed envelope at the end of the meeting when I was called to pick up my son. To date that document is the only one I have received concerning this matter from my son's school, it is being "looked into".

Becky Katz profile image84

Becky Katz says

• flacoinohio profile image

flacoinohio 5 years ago

The investigation was merely asking other students if he said what he had said and if he and his peer were mad at each other. I believe the term she used was unprovoked act of verbal agression. My admitting his guilt to me was her primary concern.

rfox21 profile image79

rfox21 says

Susana Suarez profile image78

Susana Suarez says

• marriagefortoday profile image

marriagefortoday 5 years ago

Well, this is not completely true, Susana. Our K-girl is 5 years old, writes paragraphs, reads regular books (not little kids books), and knows the longest word in the dictionary (and how to spell it). But we definately agree on your other statments!

marriagefortoday profile image71

marriagefortoday says

• flacoinohio profile image

flacoinohio 5 years ago

My son did accept responsibility for his actions, he admitted to the principal what he had said. He did not say why he said what he said, I believe the principal said it was irrelevant, she processed his suspension based on his admission.

Lizam1 profile image80

Lizam1 says

• flacoinohio profile image

flacoinohio 5 years ago

I agree that my son should be accountable for his actions, I have no issue with the consequence, he was processed without representation, I was not informed verbally or in writing about the appeals process or a meeting with the superintendent.

Catzgendron profile image74

Catzgendron says