KellyRivers profile image 59

Did you allow your child to take their bedroom furnishings with them when they moved out?

Our youngest son moved out, but has no furnishings for his apartment. He has asked if he can have his bedroom suit. After careful consideration, his father and I have decided that he can take it with him. This suit was bought (with insurance money) after Hurricane Rita destroyed a large portion of our house, including his bedroom. He helped pick the suit out and loved the bed, but I don't know if I would have told him no anyway. I'm not second guessing my decision, just curious about how anyone else would have handled it.

• KellyRivers profile image

KellyRivers 5 years ago

peeples, I appreciate your comment. I feel that any help I can give to help "spread their wings" is going to be one of the final acts of parenting in getting them established in life. God knows they will have many struggles afterward!

Bevipoo profile image60

Bevipoo says

• KellyRivers profile image

KellyRivers 5 years ago

Bevipoo, It's good to hear different opinions. We all love our children and want to see them do well. Leaving home is a big step and helping them begin their new life is important to me. Thank you for your feedback!

libby1970 profile image83

libby1970 says

• KellyRivers profile image

KellyRivers 5 years ago

libby1970...thank you for your response! I gave him the furniture, but it did not belong to him. He had every opportunity to save his money to buy furnishings before moving out. However, I'm not hurting and I want to see him off to a good start.

fitmom profile image92

fitmom says

Rfordin profile image86

Rfordin says

• KellyRivers profile image

KellyRivers 5 years ago

Rfordin: I absolutely agree. I had to have a little help when I moved out. Maybe like it's likened to a baby bird trying to learn to fly. But it don't take them long so the help he gets is very limited now. Thank you for your input!

KellyRivers profile image59

KellyRivers says

Ashlea B says

• KellyRivers profile image

KellyRivers 5 years ago

Ashlea B, You make a lot of sense. My husband says that our children have temporary housing and everything in their rooms are on borrow! We have tried to get them to save and start a hope chest, but we're not opposed to a jump start. Thank you!