philli profile image 88

Since you can't give babies (under 2 yrs) many OTC medications, what do you do for runny nose/cough?

I have a son that has not yet turned 2. He has allergies, so he often has a running nose, some congestion and sometimes wheezing and cough. If it were me with the symptoms, I would just pop a Zyrtec or take some cough medicine. However because of his age, I have not been able to find him any OTC medicines. His doctor always just says let it run it's course. This works most times, but when it is really bad, I want to give him a little help to get over it. I've found tons of medicines for 2 and up, but nothing for younger kids (he meets the recommended weight but not the age). Homeopathics?

Best Answer JThomp42 says

• philli profile image

philli 4 years ago

Thanks for the very thorough answer! We've tried most of this, but I did not make the connection with more liquid to keep secretions easier to deal with. I will try this. We use a nebulizer, Little Noses, Vicks plug-ins, etc already.

• philli profile image

philli 4 years ago

My son is just over 30 lbs., so I'm sure that his doc could probably prescribe something similar. She seems very anti-OTC, though.

Lady Guinevere profile image59

Debra Allen (Lady Guinevere) says

• philli profile image

philli 4 years ago

Thanks for the link...I had not heard about the garlic tip. It's always nice to learn something new. The thing about the honey is that his doctor said he shouldn't eat it until he was at least 2 years old. Thanks for all the info, though!