Sphinxs Sanctum profile image 60

Can severe states of denial cause as much harm to a person & their family members as lies?

I'm sure many of you will first think of 'Drugs,' where addicts or their loved ones are in denial but I'm referring Denial within a family regarding All forms of behavior from one or more of its members or a parent in denial of their adult child's true, criminal or manipulative nature.

Stina Caxe profile image87

Cristina (Stina Caxe) says

• EmpatheticAdvisor profile image

Ruth Laughery (EmpatheticAdvisor) 4 years ago

I agree whole heartedly with your explanation.

twig22bend profile image81

twig22bend says

• Sphinxs Sanctum profile image

Sphinxs Sanctum 4 years ago

I normally don't require validation of my thoughts but denial is so pervasive in my family it has my head spinning & trying to undo the hold it's had for nearly 40 yrs is beginning to seem impossible. Thank-you for answering. You're on the money

nanderson500 profile image88

nanderson500 says

• Sphinxs Sanctum profile image

Sphinxs Sanctum 4 years ago

I pulled out drug cooking tools drug residue & drugs in front of my Grandpa from his son's things & he STILL doesn't believe that his son is an addict! It's like he NEVER Saw any of it & all it took was a, "NO DAD" to dismiss it. I'm sic

EmpatheticAdvisor profile image62

Ruth Laughery (EmpatheticAdvisor) says

• Sphinxs Sanctum profile image

Sphinxs Sanctum 4 years ago

Yes, in my family, the patriarch makes great effort to deny that his male children could possibly do anything wrong making the females those at fault at all times. W/ far more males, this is the Accepted way, now. I think the same. Thanks!

Fastian profile image79

Fastian says

• EmpatheticAdvisor profile image

Fastian,

True there is no issue to that person if the person in denial does not feel there is one. However, what becomes the issue is when this denial begins to affect others in the family or relationship dynamic negatively and is monetarily costly

wildove5 profile image60

wildove5 says

• Sphinxs Sanctum profile image

Sphinxs Sanctum 4 years ago

Goodness Wildove5- I'm sorry to hear you've had to go down such a rough road with your child but I'm glad for you & her that she's willing to seek treatment. I Truly wish your family the very best! I'm dealing with lies & denial almost 40 y

Tayshia says