ChristinS profile image 94

How do you convince your aging parents it's time to give up their home?

The wife has leukemia and is getting worse, husband is in denial. Their home has major problems and they don't have the money to fix them. They seem to not take it seriously when we mention their needing to move. They live 2 hours away from the closest relative willing and able to help them. How do you convince aging parents in a gentle way, that they are no longer able to be independent and need to be closer to those who can help them?

CraftytotheCore profile image98

CraftytotheCore says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

completely understandable. It is such a difficult subject, no one wants to say to them "you're too old and frail to manage" but at the same time, it is a colossal mess in the making. Talk about no easy answers...

Lizam1 profile image81

Lizam1 says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

I completely agree. I think they need to downsize to an apartment and be closer to us. I think they can manage on their own without the stairs and without reliable help being 2 hours away. Dad is unfortunately not always forward thinking that way.

Glimmer Twin Fan profile image97

Glimmer Twin Fan says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

Thank you. I'm thinking maybe not even a facility yet, but even just a ground level apartment at first, maybe a facility later on. Dad is well enough to not need a facility, but not well enough to care for mom who is very ill and worsening.

sprickita profile image75

sprickita says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

No offense, you don't know our situation. There are no siblings willing to help just us we are two hours away and she is very ill and too much for him to take on by himself. I'd obviously leave them if it was feasible.

MizBejabbers says

chef-de-jour profile image90

Andrew Spacey (chef-de-jour) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

Thank you. I understand it's got to be awful to give up ones independence, I think maybe we will try to just show them some places in the area that are nice and at ground level. They live in a split level and it's another accident waiting to happen.

ajaychanchal profile image60

Ajay Chanchal (ajaychanchal) says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

We do not have the room in either house to blend families or I would take them in, but that's unfortunately not an option.