philli profile image 87

What are some practical ways to encourage older siblings to share & help out with younger siblings?

I have a toddler and a 7 month old baby. If your family has had a similar makeup, what practical things did you do to encourage sharing and love from the older sibling (to avoid jealousy of the new baby)? The baby is now crawling and consequently touching the 3 year old's toys, etc. Some days he is generous, but mostly he tries to run around and keep baby girl from his stuff. We are hearing "mine!" a lot lately from the pre-schooler.

Kat Shinstine profile image60

Best Answer Kathy (Kat Shinstine) says

• philli profile image

philli 2 years ago

I had mentioned an achivement chart to my husband, but it was geared more to his pre-school academics. This is a wonderful idea for his behavior and helpfulness. Thanks.

freecampingaussie profile image38

freecampingaussie says

• philli profile image

philli 2 years ago

I have been trying this. At first, it seems to help. However, he usually get tired of being a helper and wants to be the "helpee" (if that is a word...lol). We are still trying to find a happy medium. Thanks for your encouraging response.