Joe Fiduccia profile image 59

How do you help your child when he/she is 'stubborn' and wants to do it their own way?

First, I know our kids sometimes have to learn things on their own. And I am all for letting go of the reigns and allowing him to grow on his own. But here's a simple example of what I mean - he currently takes lessons in tennis. While watching him, his serve posture could use a little help. I am a tennis player as well, and naturally want to help him get better. So later in the week I try to help him but demonstrating the right posture and motion and asking him to try it. But he won't even try. He is determined to do it HIS way. How can I help him if he won't even listen or try?

lisasuniquevoice profile image71

Lisa Brown (lisasuniquevoice) says

• Joe Fiduccia profile image

Joe Fiduccia 2 years ago

I do agree with you. It's always a fine line for me. I want him to have a great time AND learn from my own experiences that can help him get even better. Just have to find that balance. Thank you for your response!

Ian Moone says

• Joe Fiduccia profile image

Joe Fiduccia 2 years ago

Thanks Ian. I do realize that he's going to have to find his own way in life, and I'm using tennis as just one of those examples. It's just frustrating sometimes because as a parent you want to help them be all they can. Thanks for commenting!