peeples profile image 89

Best advice for a child who is not good at sports but wants to be?

My oldest (almost 12 yr old boy) wants to be good at sports. I doubt this will ever happen. He's always had coordination issues, and he has no real interest in these sports other than being able to say he is good at them (seeks to be good at everything). He is however good at many other things. He is a reader, video game king, and very bright with technology. What is the best advice a mother can give without making him feel bad about his inability to do sports? I have tried focusing on his positives, and this isn't working.

mattdigiulio profile image81

mattdigiulio says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 19 months ago

My thought was this was likely a normal thing for his age. Wants to be good for the sake of showing off a bit, but no real follow through. Thanks!

• peeples profile image

Peeples 19 months ago

I'm going to do soccer w/ him, but he is far from lazy. He works our with his brain. His talents lie in taking apart computers and learning. I think he just wants to fit in and not be seen as nerdy. I encourage what I see he is good at. Thanks!

Billie Kelpin profile image89

Billie Kelpin says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 19 months ago

I think it is wanting to be like other ppl. Cute story, and I believe that is his situation. The kid is smart, does coding for computers already, but doesn't want to be seen as "the smart kid" rather be seen as the athletic or popular kid.

StephanPoe profile image82

StephanPoe says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 19 months ago

I'm his mom, my natural instinct tells me it's my job to tell him everything. lol! Maybe it can be a bit pushy, but I'd like to steer him in the right direction.

connorj profile image80

John Connor (connorj) says