Billie Kelpin profile image 90

Besides being driven by biology, what else drives people to have children in the 21st century?

It hasn't really been a long time in the history of humankind that we had a CHOICE of having children or not. Consistently RELIABLE birth control has been on the scene for only about 70 years. So it would seem the majority of people who have children, have made a conscious decison to do so. When I was in love when I was young, I remember loving this person so much that there was the intense desire to create something of our own together. I think there are a myriad of other reasons we have children. What are some of our subconscious, unexamined reasons to have children?

joanhall profile image92

Joan Hall (joanhall) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 21 months ago

Joan, That is absolutely WONDERFUL! I'm so happy for you.

Edward J. Palumbo profile image91

Ed Palumbo (Edward J. Palumbo) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 21 months ago

Lovely, Thank you, Edward. "Our world was a fine place to be, so we wanted to enlarge it, expand it..." I think psychologists would call this an extremely healthy outlook on the relationship of marriage to children.

cat on a soapbox profile image82

Catherine Tally (cat on a soapbox) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 21 months ago

Thank you, Catherine. I agree. AND I love the "re-living" childhood part for the valid excuse to play with the toys. Did you see the remote control Anna from Frozen doll. Oh my goodness, I need an excuse to get her :) that or an RC helicopter :)

unvrso profile image86

Jose Juan Gutierrez (unvrso) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 21 months ago

Jose, I think you expressed the CORE of our motive to have children. It seems as if it's a "Prime Directive" as Captain Kirk of Startrek might say. It's the underlying principle from which all the other motives arise. Thank you!

Nadeem Koudsi profile image81

Nadeem Koudsi says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 21 months ago

Ah, that is a very strong and meaningful motivation! Our children become better than we were - every generation becomes more noble, more giving, more helpful to the world. I think that's a driving force. Thank you Nadeem

Viki Pan profile image59

Viki Pan says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 21 months ago

In response to your last paragraph, I once copied a picture of the Coke logo and printed it with the words, "Things Go Betther with Beth" and gave it to my daughter. My daughter has a quick wit and things do go better when she's around. Thanks, Viki

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 21 months ago

So cute, Paula, They're very lucky to have such a talented mom and I can imagine that the women 'who know they can't return them' have a lot of fun when they're around you!