Express10 profile image 87

Why is it common among poor people that they expect their children take care of them financially?

Some of those living check to check, those receiving some form of government assistance, addicts, spendthrifts, etc. expect their children take care of them financially, even when the parents provide no resources, support, or tools to help the child become an affluent adult. Do they not understand how harmful this mindset is when what's best for their child(ren) should be most important? Do they truly not know this expectation and even indoctrination in some cases, can severely limit their children's potential (educational/financial/etc.) in life & can contribute to generational poverty?

It is VERY Common for Poor People to Expect Their Children to Financially Support Them82

It is VERY Common for Poor People to Expect Their Children to Financially Support Them

• Express10 profile image

H C Palting (Express10) 10 months ago

There are many people in generational poverty for example. If you look at these groups you will find a subset who teach their children that children must take care of their parents even when they did not teach their own to take care of themselves.

dianetrotter profile image82

G. Diane Nelson Trotter (dianetrotter) says

• Express10 profile image

H C Palting (Express10) 10 months ago

I must make it clear that I do not think that all of poor feel this way, I did say some. However, I've noticed a surprising number do. I find it sad and tragic because this thinking put into action is a burden on children & has negative effects.

MarieLB profile image86

Marie L B (MarieLB) says

• dianetrotter profile image

G. Diane Nelson Trotter (dianetrotter) 10 months ago

I have to agree with you. I know of parents who have sacrificed to give their children college educations. I took care of my mother who had Alzheimers because I loved her and took her out of a nursing home and brought her from AR to California.

• Express10 profile image

H C Palting (Express10) 10 months ago

This answer is what I thought happened in 3rd world countries & not here in modern America. I am being awakened from my ignorance. Am I in the minority in the thinking that the parents should be self sufficient prior to having children?