Baby Backpack Diaper Bags for Moms and Dads
A Diaper Backpack is a Good Choice For Both Mom and Dad
What is the best diaper backpack for you? Are you choosing between a messenger, tote diaper bag, or diaper backpack? Do you want to know which bags have the best reviews?
I love the idea of diaper backpacks. They avoid putting stress on your neck, back, and shoulders by distributing the load evenly across the back balanced between the shoulders, unlike totes that can put a strain on your shoulder.
While what constitutes the best diaper backpack is relative, it should, at the very least, make going about your business with baby tagging along easier. A good diaper bag makes sure you have enough supplies with you, easy to get things out when you need them, and comfortable to carry around.
Choosing the Right Backpack Diaper Bag
Whenever you are choosing any diaper bag, regardless of whether it's a backpack or not, it should be comfortable, ergonomically correct, practical, durable, and should fit your style.
Here are some essential buying tips:
- Comfortable and ergonomically correct: While going out with a baby is fun, having to take all the things you might need for both you and your child can be a significant organizational feat. Your bag needs to be able to carry diapers, bottles, changes of clothes (at least one, even for a relatively short trip), and all the other extra paraphernalia you and baby might need.
All this stuff can get heavy. A good bag should make it easier to carry it without too much strain.
- Easy to organize: This will make traveling around with baby easier, be it for a major trip or just going about your daily errands. A diaper bag should have enough compartments so that you can find the things you need without having to dig around too much.
- Durable: Durability vis-a-vis the price you pay is one of the first points to consider. You can either go for a diaper bag that will last the whole time your baby is in diapers maybe even for a future baby or more. On the other hand, you can choose to buy a cheaper model and change every few months.
I prefer having one or two high-quality bags that I know will last some time. The advantage for me is that I prefer using a bag that I am familiar with, as this makes packing it a breeze.
All the same, some people prefer to buy a wider selection of cheaper bags in various designs and colors to match their moods or outfit.
- Style: All the bags in this review will work for moms, but if the diaper backpack bag will be used equally by both mom and dad, or if dad is the one who will use it most of the time, then you should choose a model with a more neutral unisex look.
Picking A Diaper Bag - Great Video on What to Look Out For
Diaper Backpack Reviews
DadGear Diaper Backpack Review
If ample storage space and extreme organization are what you're after, look no further than the DadGear Backpack.
The DadGear Backpack drew me because of the design. The design reflects the style of hiking packs from my native Colorado. This rugged backpack maintains the standard of excellence seen in all DadGear diaper bags.
It's spacious and durable, and offers 13 easy-access compartments. Other handy features include a quick-access wipes case that keeps baby wipes close at hand. It is ergonomically shaped, with padded shoulder straps that make carrying the pack very comfortable. The integrated straps can be used to hang the bag effortlessly from a stroller.
If you are wondering where you can find diaper bags for men, you need not look any further, this diaper bag is a great favorite with many dads.
Other Features Include:
- Diaper hammock that keeps diapers at the top of the pack.
- Spacious main compartment with a clamshell opening for easy access to contents.
- Two large pockets with numerous compartments make it simple to organize and find everything.
- Two bottle pockets accessible from the exterior that hold up to 2 bottles each.
- Light-colored interior helps you see everything inside.
- Changing pad included.
DadGear Diaper Bag Features
Diaper Dude Convertible Messenger-to-Backpack Diaper Bag
I love this bag. First of all, it's a backpack, so it's comfortable to carry around. I also find the name Diaper Dude is such a choice for a diaper bag for dads.
But on a serious note, this is truly one of the best backpack diaper bags available. The colors, styles and length make it perfect for the dude in the family, and at the same time mom can carry it too if she wants.
This versatile bag can be used either as a backpack or as a messenger bag. There are loads of easy-to-access storage compartments of different sizes that make the organization so much simpler.
The diaper bag for the dad who may feel overwhelmed there is a great checklist to make sure he takes all the things he needs for the little one.
Now, why don't regular diaper bag manufacturers think moms could use such a list too?
- A padded changing mat.
- An insulated bottle holder.
- Breathable mesh padding for extra comfort.
- Dual-access front compartment.
- Removable padded shoulder straps.
ERGObaby Organic Travel Backpack - Discontinued
The ERGObaby Diaper Backpack is an excellent bag. It is a high-quality product perfect for the eco-minded mother or father. The body of the bag is soft 100% organic cotton while the inside has well-organized easy-to-access pockets.
Both fully insulated bottle holders zip shut. The largest compartment is a nice size that can carry most things you need for most day trips, with two mesh pockets to help organize your baby's stuff.
I like how the soft moisture-resistant changing pad just folds out of its zipper pocket, it is easy to remove for both changing the baby and washing without having to bring the bag along.
Another neat feature is that you can quickly hide the padded shoulder straps when you attach the bag to a stroller.
- Hidden changing pad.
- Easy access while in use.
- Breathable mesh padding for extra comfort.
- Mesh pockets.
- Insulated bottle pockets.
Skip Hop Forma Backpack Diaper Bag
The Skip Hop FORMA Backpack is one of the best rated backpack diaper bags you can find. This diaper bag can combine a load of space to pack what you will need in a very lightweight body. Love the quilting, it gives this bag a lovely look that works well in most situations. I like the peacock color above, but it also comes in a black that is very clay.
As I previously mentioned, this bag can hold a lot. It is also designed to make it easy to store whatever you have in a nicely organized fashion. The main compartment is huge. There are 3 logical sections, one fo the changing mat and the other two for other things you would carry. You can dedicate one section for food items and diaper while the other is for clothing or whatever works best for you.
It also has two cubes that fit in the front pocket that are great for organising smaller stuff.
Skip Hop Via Backpack Diaper Bag
This is a great bag for running around town.
However, while most of the diaper backpacks shown on this page are made large enough to fit a man's frame, the Skip Hop is smaller and may not be comfortable for many men.
- Front section allows easy access to storage cubes
- Insulated cube is perfect for bottles
- Multipurpose mesh cube for clothing and snacks
- Changing pad pocket holds tablets and laptops up to 15"
- Elasticized interior pockets and cell phone pocket
- Extra wide dual zip opening
- Hangs neatly on a stroller for on-the-go convenience
Designer Diaper Backpacks
Choosing a stylish backpack diaper bag has never been easier. These designer diaper backpacks are both practical and stylish.
Coach Diaper Backpack for Diva Moms
Thanks to growing demand for high-fashion mommy-wear, you can now get yourself a fashionable or trendy diaper backpack. But you may be asking yourself, can these beautiful, stylish bags take the vigerous use diaper bags get? And are they even practical?
Unfortunately, in my research I found that they very often can't take the day-to-day wear of being a diaper bag. Though most are well organized, quite a few were not very comfortable or sturdy. These are the ones that pass the test.
The bags in this section are both well made and have beautiful designs that will keep you well organized and look good. You will never need to skimp on the functionality that you must have when taking a child out. Even the most discriminating of women would be proud to carry these diaper backpacks.
Petunia Pickle Bottom Backpack Diaper BagsClick thumbnail to view full-size
This Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bag is high quality, stylish, and the perfect size. It holds everything you need without being too heavy. Additionally, it can be used as either a backpack, shoulder bag or a stroller bag.
While Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bags are rather pricy, they are exceptional bags and well worth the investment.
The soft diaper pad comes in a separate compartment at the front of the bag, and the front pocket area offers plenty of pockets for a mini-changing station. In addition, there is a hook where you can hang your keys, and a removable, smaller zip pocket on the inside.
The glazed finish and bright design are more fashionable than the ordinary diaper bag.
The bag is very easy to clean, organize and carry.
- Water-resistant lining and straps.
- Hands-free backpack or messenger-bag strap.
- Built-in changing station with detachable changing pad.
- Two large diaper/wipes pockets.
- Four bottle pockets.
- Two organizational pockets.
- Small pacifier pocket.
- Detachable dirty-diaper pouch.
- "No more digging" key clip.
- Water-resistant liner.
- PVC-free glazed wipeable exterior.
- PPB-monogrammed wipes case.
- Compatible with Valet Stroller Clips (sold separately).
The Bumble Collection Jessica Messenger/Backpack Diaper Bag
by Bumble Bags
Bumble Bags Hanging Stroller Diaper BagClick thumbnail to view full-size
In addition to being beautiful and stylish, this is a very sturdy and well-made diaper bag with plenty of space and pockets. You can use it as a comfortable backpack, a chic messenger bag, or a practical stroller bag.
The Bumble Collection diaper bag is a good cheaper alternative to the fashionable Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper backpack.
It is well organized with plenty of space for everything. The soft diaper pad comes in a separate compartment at the front of the bag, making the diapering section entirely detached from the rest of the bag.
- Water and stain resistant.
- Detachable changing pad with magnetic closures.
- Top zipper closure.
- Changing station with detachable, soil-proof change pad.
- Two interior bottle pockets.
- Two exterior pockets for small items.
- One exterior back pocket.
- One interior zipper pocket.
- Four flat pockets for diapers and wipes.
- Machine washable.
Ju-Ju-Be Be Right Back Diaper BagClick thumbnail to view full-size
New Ju-Ju-Be Be Right Back Diaper Bag is a very popular diaper backpack, with mostly excellent reviews.
The main compartment opens up completely, suitcase style, so you can throw everything in easily in an organized fashion and also see everything at a glance.
The Agion anti-microbial lining comes in bright colors which also makes it easy to find all yours and your baby's stuff. The Thinsulate pockets on the sides are good for keeping your bottled water, bottles, or sippy-cups warm or cold.
The front has a great mommy-pocket for your stuff with a key-fob, a sunglasses-holder that doubles as a cleaner, and various zippered pockets to keep you super organized. Just above the mommy-pocket is a smaller zippered pocket for your phone or camera.
Also on the mommy-pocket is another long pocket that can either be used for a couple of diapers and wipes or for pencils and a book. On the back is a pocket for the changing pad.
The Ju-Ju-Be Be Right Backpack is a very comfortable bag to carry, it has well-designed ergonomic straps and memory foam padding on the back.
It is also just the right size, not too big or small for most people, and is designed to hold more than you would expect.
- Ergonomically curved and padded shoulder straps.
- Teflon-treated outer fabric and Agion-protected linings, easy to clean and anti-microbial.
- 3M Thinsulate in the insulated bottle pockets.
- All metal hardware and self-healing coil zippers
- Machine washable (air dry).
Ju Ju Be BFF Diaper Bag: Your Best Friend, Forever
The Ju Ju BFF will carry all your stuff in an ultra-organized way. It has tons of pockets, so many you won't know what to do with it all. The BFF is flexible too. It comes with detachable shoulder straps and messenger straps. Use it in any way you want. The triangle base keeps the bag from tipping over.
The BFF has spice, flair, elegance, and style.
In backpack mode, you have the two backpack straps in the back. You can also use it in messenger bag mode. It comes with two loops where a messenger strap would connect from one side of the bag to the other. All the straps are padded with memory foam which makes them super comfortable, even when you have the bag fully loaded. Since I prefer being hands-free, I tend to keep it in the backpack mode.
Now for the bag and its compartments.
Starting at the back, you have a giant pocket where the changing pad is kept plus quite a bit more. On one side is what Ju Ju bags calls a crumb drain so you can easily clean out bits that might get caught in the bag quickly from the bottom of the bag which comes in handy.
Each side has an elasticized, insulated pocket for a bottle or sippy cup. They work well keeping the contents hot or cold.
Right on top, right above the front pocket is a small pocket. This pocket has a felt lining and quite is also quite deep, good for a cell phone (even the new large ones) or a camera.
The main pocket is enormous for the size of the bag. It opens up wide for easy access to anything you may put inside. The front has two plastic see-through pockets for pictures or id and a zip up bag for miscellaneous stuff at the bottom. The central section has six pockets, four gusseted pockets and two with zippers. Even after filling the six pockets you still have a large central area to put a lot more stuff for both you and your baby.
On the front is a nice sized mommy pocket. It has a pocket for sunglasses, two gusseted pockets as well as a zippered pocket and a jumpy cord for your keys.
All the hardware is super solid, and they even added rhinestones on the ends of each zipper pull for some extra snazzy factor.
This is a well-organized bag. It is easy to find things you need, which is essential especially when you need to get to things fast.
- Mommy pockets with lots of organization.
- Two sets of adjustable straps with memory foam shoulder pad.
- Teflon-treated outer fabric and Agion-protected linings.
- All-metal hardware and self-healing coil zippers.
- Machine washable (air dry).
Petunia Pickle Bottom Scout Collection
This collection has some fine diaper backpack for dads
First are here are the ones made from coated cotton canvas fabric that are easy to clean with a damp cloth.
The style of Nomad Knapsack is made so that it can either be carried as a backpack or as a messenger bag - moving from one form to the other is quick and easy, accomplished in moments. The 10 pockets ensure you can carry anything you'd ever need in an organized and easy to access manner. of the 10, there are 4 spacious open interior pockets for larger things, and the rest are of various sizes. some open, or closed with zippers or snap closures.
The Satellite Sling is a more dense compact bag, for those times when you don't need to carry too much stuff for your baby. But it still has all the essentials, including 5 quick access pockets, a changing pad.
Petunia Pickle Bottom Scout Rubicon Rucksack - Black
Probably the best known of the scout collection the Petunia Pickle Bottom Rubicon Rucksack is made of leather.
It has been designed not only to work as a daddy diaper bag, but as an office bag as well. To accomplish this, the bag the designers came up with an ingenious solution, the bag comes with two interior linings that can be interchanged. To convert, just unsnap and switch the liners.
The diaper bag liner has pockets for bottles, diapers and wipes, while the laptop liner has a padded computer holder and two deep pockets.
A truly versatile bag, perfect for diaper duty or a day at the office.
Diaper Backpacks to Avoid
Columbia Trekster Diaper Backpack: No Longer a Good Buy
Always sad to see a good product go south! The Columbia Trekster Diaper backpack used to be one of the best diaper bags around, but, unfortunately, is no longer made to the same standard.
Some of the issues brought up by more recent buyers include:
- poor construction that seems to unravel soon after buying, this happens even after light use.
- The small size, and very few pockets inside to help organize stuff.
- The Thermal pocket does not fit most sippy cups.
- The middle section does not open all the way. You are forced to either dig in from the top or open the side pocket and fish around.
- The clips on the straps are supposed to hook the bag onto a stroller but do not stay closed.
One nice feature is the changing pad. It has a two convininet pockets you can use to store diapers and wipes. The two pockets are attached to the changing pad itself, so they are always easy to reach and do not get misplaced. The whole changing pad folds up onto itself, so that it is easy to carry it separately into a bathroom, eliminating a need for juggling baby, diaper bag, and changing pad.
Anyone who bought this bag before 2012 seems to have loved the bag. You may have got a good review from someone who bought this diaper bag before this date through word of mouth. Unfortunately, any such review is no longer applicable since the bag is no longer the same quality, and not as good a buy as it was when it first came out.
It is so sad to see a company take an excellent product and kill it by outsourcing it to unreliable or uncaring manufacturers.
Fortunately, there are many good backpack diaper bags available now. Choose one of the ones mentioned above and you should be happy with any choice that meets your needs.
Avoid: Baby Sherpa Diaper Backpack
The Baby Sherpa Diaper Backpack is another popular diaper bag that used to have a respectable name but it now seems to get very mixed reviews.
While there are some people who still like it, an almost equal number have found it lacking.