- Family and Parenting
The reading benefits - What is reading good for?
What are the benefits of reading?
Living in a digital world of moving pictures we too often forget about the benefits of reading. We actually still read a lot, probably more than any time in human history. Unfortunately the quality of reading material is often very questionable.
But let me take a step back and ask again: Why is reading good? Can't we just get the all information required for our everyday's lives from television or other attractive media?
Unfortunately life is sometimes more complicated than just pressing the LIKE button on the dashboard of your social profile. We are different and everyone of us can process information in his own tempo. For this reason books are much more appropriate than massive media.
And of course this is just one of the many benefits of reading.
(Image credit: Pixabay, PD & RF licence, all images on this page are in Public Domain and Royalty Free)
Books are your best friends
Comics and magazines don't count!
How many books do you read every year?
Want to improve your reading skills?
No matter if you are absolute beginner or experienced reader, if you seek for help for you, your kid, somebody with special needs..., the internet is loaded with great sites where you can find tons of useful material.
This one is free. It is rich with content, it is nicely organized and it is growing. It is useful for kids, parents and teachers. In short: it is great.
If you want to find only one free resource for everything related with reading, this can be the one:
Huge importance of reading
1. Reading stimulates your brain and improves your memory. It helps building your vocabulary too. With all that you have better communication skills, what guarantees you more friends, more connections, better relationships, more business opportunities... And of course with better usage of your brain you become smarter. Who doesn't want to be smarter?
2. Every story in a book is based on some logic. So reading should help to improve logical thinking of readers. Being better in making conclusions means having better chances to understand relations in our world and our role in it. This simply translates into better control of our lives and better chances for happiness. Who doesn't want to be happy?
3. Reading is great exercise for focusing. When you read a book, you can't just skim the information like in magazine or television shows. You have to be focused or you lose the track. But books are also greatest storage of ideas. Just reading about other people's ideas will definitely boost your creativity. Who doesn't want to be creative?
4. When you open a book, you enter a whole new world. This gives you the chance to learn about new people, new places, new situations, new problems... You can watch how all these elements interact to each other and it is up to you if you will identify and imply their solutions to your everyday world with your people, your places, your situations, your problems...
5. Reading is one of the best relaxation techniques. Good story gives you a chance to break your current patterns of thinking, forget (at least for some time) just about anything and sort of 'reset' your mind. When you 'switch' back to reality, you will see many things in new light and it is very possible to find totally unique ways of doing things. We all appreciate originality, right?
Make it fluent! - (a good book is always great investment)
Investment in education is best investment. Always was, always will be. Everybody has a room to improve the reading skills. We can read faster, memorize better, more efficiently organize the data, develop more critical approach to reading material...
Reading skills were always important but they are essential in modern world where we deal with tons of data on daily basis.
Fluent reading which transforms in better understanding and selection of data according to its importance can only help in quality of life.
Your (and your child's) personal relationship, business, health areas can be improved with more fluent reading and this book offers exactly that.
Achieve better fluency with a help of scientifically proven methods. Make the most of your time and your reading material!
Why can literacy change the world?
"Every man who knows how to read has it in his power to magnify himself, to multiply the ways in which he exists, to make his life full, significant and interesting"
................................. Aldous Huxley
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark."
................................ Victor Hugo
"People who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read."
............... Samuel Ichiye Hayakawa
Importance of reading to kids
1. If we read to our kids we spend our precious time to be with kids. And time is money, right? Wrong! Money comes and goes, but time only passes. If we use for making bonds with our kids, we are investing ourselves in their future. Reading books together is very intimate doing. It helps to build self-confidence and trust. Our world needs self-confident people and it surely needs a lot of trust.
2. Reading broadens children's horizons. Every good book literally opens whole new world to a reader and kid's mind can absorb ideas, feelings, relations... like a sponge! We live in a society of highly trained specialists, but too many top experts lack of breadth of mind, development of empathy and, well, humanity. Wider the horizons, better chances to find great job, great friends, great life.
3. If we read to a child, he will listen. Ability to listen is too often underrated skill in our fast forward moving world. If somebody knows to listen others, he has much better chance to listen himself. He can learn to step back and think about his motivations, his problems, himself. And what is better chance to temporary forget his present problems and find solutions on subconscious level than listening to stories and fairy tales?
How to choose the right book for kids?
There are several proven methods and so called Goldilocks method is one of the best. It is called by the fairy tale about Goldilocks: everything should be just right. Not too hot, not too small...
Same goes with the book: not too big, not too short, not too difficult, not too many illustrations. Just right for the age, gender, interests and other specific needs of the child.
Do you read to your kid?
We all know how important is reading to our children. But do we find enough time to read them?
Best time with children
If you want to find more info about critical reading and development of children in general, here are few good places to start:
- Fairy tales and their surprising powers
All about the fairy tales, their creators and hidden meanings behind the stories. Kind of look behind the scenes...
- History and meaning of fairy tales (in Slovene)
What is a fairy tale? Why it is so important? What can we learn from old books? (In Slovene language, but you will understand the pictures for sure!)
- All about drawing!
Drawing has many similarities with reading, they are actually different parts of the same thing - children development. If you want to know what, why, how etc., this is the right place to start.
Why is reading to kids so important?
"I found that children are so enthusiastic that someone is taking the time to read to them."
................................. Glenda Dixon
"Iif every parent read with their children at least 30 minutes a night, it would really revolutionize education in this country."
................................. Richard Riley
""Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
.......................... Emilie Buchwald