- Family and Parenting
Bottle Feeding A Newborn Baby
Bottlefeeding vs Breastfeeding
While there is no comparison and breastfeeding is undoubtedly the best option, in cases like low breast milk production or inability of the infant to suck directly from the breast,people have to resort to bottle feeding.
While some mothers express their breast milk and then bottle feed this milk to their child, sometimes unfortunately breast milk is not enough and this is when the search for the perfect formula begins.For us, it was no less than a quest as doctors initially informed that our little guy was lactose intolerant.
- Always ensure you buy a BPA free baby bottle.I prefer glass bottles as they can be repeatedly sterilized too.
- Polypropylene BPA free bottles are available too but make sure you buy from a reputed brand.
- Keep a measuring cup handy.Usually the standard is 1 standard scoop(available with the powdered formula tin) /30 ml( 1 oz).
- Bibs are important if you don't want the baby to spill his drink out on a recently changed shirt!
- Allow the baby to breathe after it sucks 5-6 times .
- Colic is a frequent problem of bottle fed babies.Use a bottle with a colic valve in it.Easily available nowadays.
Is your baby crying because of colic?
Colic in newborn babies may occur because of trapped gas or overfeeding. Gas is the most common reason , with the baby sucking in air while feeding from a bottle.
While we should encourage traditional methods like burping,stomach massage etc, investing in a baby bottle with a colic valve is an intelligent decision. The colic valve reduces air intake while feeding by controlling the air flow inside the bottle,depending on the sucking force and duration of the baby
Do Away With Colic!
Colic free baby, happy baby!
Another good option
Ready to tackle colic and I know about BPA.What next?
Congrats!You are almost good to go.But now comes the most important part.You need to choose the baby formula.
Our doctor prescribed lactogen.But within 1 week, the baby was passing gas with much discomfort and his stool was green and hard.While the color of his stool was not a concern ,the doctor was worried about the stool being hard and not liquid or semi solid.He said the baby might be lactose intolerant and suggested us a lactose free soya based infant formula.We tried it out for a week and saw marked improvement.My son was a lot less gassy and did not strain much while passing stool.
But we were advised not to depend on this formula for too long and the doctor again prescribed a new formula,Nestle Nan.We were apprehensive but our baby took to it without any problem.He still passes gas and sometimes his stool is not as soft as it should be,but following doctor's advice, we give him some water between feeds.And his condition is getting better.
Do not self decide baby formula brand!
Always consult your pediatrician.
Let your pediatrician know if your baby is uncomfortable or gassy.
I express breast milk and feed my baby.
Great! You need not worry about formula then.
However, the ensure your baby remains healthy,you need to take precautions.
- Use a good pump.Available both in manual and automatic options.Choose as per your convenience.
- Do not store breast milk in plastic pouches.Instead use bottles.Its much safer.
- Eat healthy.Whatever you eat ,the baby gets it too.If something makes your baby uncomfortable ,experiment by avoiding a certain food item.It the baby seems fine after that, you have found the culprit!
- Protect your breasts from getting sore.
- Use breast pads to avoid wetting your shirts and smell like a milk van!
Great feeding gear!Now time to kill those germs!
A sterilizer is a must.You can sterilize by dipping bottles and nipples in boiling water but that is unsafe and time consuming.
I personally prefer electric steam sterilizers.Microwave sterilizers are available too.
Any thing else?
If you are storing your breast milk,you need some good containers.Also,most importantly,you need a bottle warmer.You don't want to take out your refrigerated milk and fumble with warm water or the microwave.
Don't forget to label your stored milk!
Label it, so that you don't feed your child old milk!
Clean your baby bottles regularly!
What to do when I am travelling?
Travelling with an infant is tricky.Apart from all safety features,you need to ensure you don't run out of formula or warm water.
Keep these handy!