jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

What are the pros and cons of homeschooling?

1. Ludivine profile image60
    Ludivineposted 7 years ago

What are the pros and cons of homeschooling?

2. Daffy Duck profile image59
    Daffy Duckposted 7 years ago

You can teach your child in a way they will best learn.

They will never be late for school.

Bullying, not a problem

They won't be able to socialize with others in between classes and during lunch.

They would miss out on some school activities.

Forget about school sports.

3. days leaper profile image79
    days leaperposted 7 years ago

In some ways the pros are the cons!  1.  Pro. Your child/ren don't have to put up with idiots, bullies etc.  con.  Your child doesn't get to learn about life, how to deal with such people, how to make friends.  How the best friends are made etc.
    Pro.  IF there are less distractions, Con.  How to ignore distractions and keep working anyway.  Though home may have different kind of distractions.
    I was home schooled in writing poems, being lucky enough to have an expert relative.  The downside is that though I enjoyed success outside of school, it caused jealousy and accussations (false) of cheating as my work in the distracting, less nurturing -as the teacher has more pupils to cover, and more "annonymously" in the school environment.   My work there suffered and was arguably not as good.  Though I now excell in writing, compared to the other more neglected subjects.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 7 years ago

Cons:  what if the parent teaching the child isn't qualified to teach.  Loved my kids, but a teacher, I am not.

No social interaction and learning to get along in a group.

It takes real discipline to teach when the kids are not in the mood and won't cooperate and sometimes parents get behind in the curriculum.

Not sure of the pros, much less expensive--no bullies or bad school influences.

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 7 years ago

There are so many ways of homeschooling, three to be exact. By a teacher, by you, or by internet/television. In public school they only have one, the one that the system designs for them, not you.
    They won't be as social, however they will be closer to their parents than most children. This can be good or bad for you in the end. Some children become anti-social or start out anti-social in homeschooling. Still most homeschool students have learning disabilities, are teased in school systems, or anti-social. Public school children dislike homeschoolers.
    I think I'll write a hub about homeschooling then.

6. mcrawford76 profile image82
    mcrawford76posted 7 years ago

I knew the first thing people were going to bring up was social interaction. We are a homeschooling family; we belong to several homeschooling groups, and probably have more QUALITY interaction than you could ever hope for in school. We go on field trips together, go to museums, the park, and all kinds of other things.
    Not to mention the fact that on most days we can complete a full day's lessons by 11AM so we have more time for enrichment activities.

Let's see, more pros.
    No bullies
    No peer pressure
    No contact with drugs or alcohol
    No sex (I know it was happening at my high school)
    No schoolyard fights
    They get to learn at an accelerated pace.
    They get to do many more activities than could ever be possible in a school setting.
    You don't have to worry about your children going out on the streets alone. It's dangerous out there these days.

P.S. You can apply for your children to play school sports in whatever school district you reside in.

What are the cons well, let's see. . . nope, can't think of any.

7. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

Cons:

1) a lack of practice interacting with large numbers of people, especially those of different "races," ethnic groups, nationalities, languages, etc -- on behalf of the children themselves, of course.

2) homeschooling does, obviously, eat into the free time of the parent doing it; one wonders if this takes the parent down the "slippery slope" of "smothering," overprotecting, over-parenting the children.

Pros:

* Frankly, (though I work in the public school system and believe in it with all its flaws), I believe the advantages of homeschooling far outweighs the disadvantages, which are very minor and can easily be corrected for.

1) creativity; more room is available for teaching the material in an interesting, engaging way almost by definition.

2) children can be allowed to learn "at their own pace," and even focus on subjects and areas that are of most interest to them; they may even learn what they want to do with their lives at an earlier stage than they might spending most of their time in public school.

3) My understanding is that homeschooled children do better than public school children, academically, on all kinds of measures.

4) The necessity for a parent/teacher to have "qualifications" gets overdone. Abraham Lincoln (16th President of the United States; one of our top five presidents; and who had only one year total of formal education) and his generation were essentially homeschooled/self-taught and they did just fine.

8. awhughes profile image58
    awhughesposted 7 years ago

Hoo boy, I created a long answer... sorry you missed it. wink  I guess I can't do that.  And now it's gone.

I homeschooled my children until my oldest was in fifth grade.  He's about to graduate high school.  He was a much more confident child back then.  I found all my children were more self-confident before public school.  They have all asked me to return to home-schooling.  Mostly because they don't like dealing with bullying and idiots in school.

Homeschooling focuses more on academics, tailoring more to the specific educational needs of the child.  It is more likely that a child's weaknesses will be determined and strengthened while homeschooling than in public school.  Public schools might be aware of academic strengths and weaknesses through testing, but they lack time, staff, and financial resources to focus on individual needs. 

It is possible to involve homeschooled children in group instruction, activities, and sports.  I had my children in a state-funded charter school that required 18 hours of teacher time.  I hired teachers who divided their time into group classes or who taught individually.  I was able to hire teachers who taught academics and piano.  My children were in karate, tumbling, and swim lessons.  All of my academic supplies and curriculum were paid for.  (It was great!)

That brings me to the downside of homeschooling.  It can be expensive.  I moved away from that school system and no longer had that advantage.  I open-enrolled part-time in the local school system for a year using the public school system curriculum, but it did not have the same advantages of teacher support.  In fact, I was required to hire a teacher to oversee my student progress for the year and I could not afford this, which is why I ended up putting my children into public school the following year.

The other con, for me, was managing children of varying ages and varying topics.  It can be difficult, especially when I had a toddler and a baby demanding my attention (and housework piling up.) 

Homeschooling requires a lot of support.  I was basically trying to do it all myself with five children in the end.  I was disappointed to have to give it up, but I will always support the option.  In my opinion, homeschooling provides a great foundation for children.

9. profile image0
    marellenposted 7 years ago

One of the reasons I like regular school, is that the child socializes with other kids, a big plus for me as a parent.

Another big reason for school...how qualified is the parent or whoever is home schooling? I'm an intelligent person but lack the expertize to teach others the basis of school and certainly wouldn't want to guarantee someone's education.

10. ChristineVianello profile image60
    ChristineVianelloposted 7 years ago

There are alot of pro's and con's with home schooling. I think that there are more pro's with home schooling. But even with the little cons, they seem bigger then all the pros. Having children going to a public/catholic school is allowing them to make some mistakes. Learning how to defend themselves for the real world. Allowing them to make friends outside of your home.

11. CARIBQUEEN profile image72
    CARIBQUEENposted 7 years ago

I think you need to read Marye Audet's recent article about homeschooling and the curriculum. She gives an insight into homeschooling.

working