jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can I relate better to my part-time stepchild?

1. CeeGunn profile image82
    CeeGunnposted 6 years ago

How can I relate better to my part-time stepchild?

When a stepchild only spends every second weekend with you, how do you make a good connection or build a solid relationship?

2. phoenixarizona profile image66
    phoenixarizonaposted 6 years ago

I would recommend first talking to your partner and finding out what the childs interests are.
    This way, if the child likes to paint you could perhaps paint with them etc.
    I have written a hub on this so I won't go too much in to detail, but I will say this, if the child does not want to spend time with you don't force it on them.
    The child will come round eventually it just takes time.
    You are doing really well thus far by seeking help.

3. Hawkesdream profile image68
    Hawkesdreamposted 6 years ago

Like phoenix said 'it takes time'. I built a relationship with two step children, whilst my husband built a relationship with one stepchild. My husband built his quicker because my son lived with us, wheras the two only came every other weekend the same as your situation.

The way we did it was to involve them in activities, we would let each child take in turns to choose an activity for the weekend. We found that in time the three would discuss what they would like to do.

This brought the three of them together as brothers and also us as parents.

Now all three boys see us as Mum and Dad. It did take time though, stick with it, it wil come.

4. sharanya dinesh profile image59
    sharanya dineshposted 6 years ago

It is a giant leap that you are earnest and want to develop a relationship. Let this translate itself to the child through every action of yours. Honest, open and patient communication is the key. I put patience last because it the toughest quality and very imperative though.It takes times, you simply have to be, hang in there. All the best.

working