jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Have you ever felt that you had a lot of friends, but no best or very close frie

1. kittyjj profile image72
    kittyjjposted 6 years ago

Have you ever felt that you had a lot of friends, but no best or very close friend?

If you have, how did you handle it?  My son told me today that he's been feeling lonely even he has a lot of friends.  He said none of those friends is his best or very close friend. What would you say to him if you were me?  (He is in 7th grade)

2. profile image48
    Eclectic Amandaposted 6 years ago

I felt this way quite a bit as a child. We moved around a lot. I am finishing up my degree in middle school education now. As a mom of a little boy myself, I would ask him to describe his loneliness. Some examples could be. How does he experience loneliness? What makes him feel lonely? Do his friends not share a lot of the same interests, but only one or two? Do they not listen to him or ask what is opinion is?
       I think it would help you to understand how he experiences the loneliness. It will also help him tremendously to know that you want to understand how he is seeing it. A lot of kids this age really feel as if people do not listen to them or take them seriously. Being truly heard can have a healing effect.

3. kittyjj profile image72
    kittyjjposted 6 years ago

Thank you Eclectic Amanda for your advices.  I will try to ask him those questions you suggested.  smile

4. emimemo profile image79
    emimemoposted 6 years ago

I would say to my kids that It is ok, you do not have to know who is your best friend is. You will know someday. Also you do not have to have a best friend all the time. You can help your friends, but do not change yourself just to be with someone. Do not rely on someone, always have your own opinion. And if you have any question or any trouble, always always talk to your mother.

School is temporary place in your life. Every group you join, you will meet a lot of people you get along or not get along with. In that many process in your life, you will find good friends.