How to Deal with Low Self Esteem in Kids and Improve Self Confidence : Role of Parents and Teachers!
What is Low Self Esteem?
© Chitrangada Sharan Aug. 2012
All Rights Reserved
First of all we must understand the signs of Low self esteem in children.
- Is your child self-conscious and doesn't like to meet people or going to parties or social gatherings?
- Does your child feel inferiority complex, about some of his/ her physical features, such as short height or too tall, too fat or too thin?
- Is your child backward in studies?
- Are you aware that your child is being bullied at school or college?
- Does your child avoid taking part in school activities such as debates, stage shows and others.
In such cases there is a possibility, that your child may be suffering from low self esteem or low self confidence.
As a parent and as a teacher, you must take it seriously and try to solve this issue.
If it not dealt with initially, the child may grow into a complex individual and also may develop behavioural problems later on.
Factors which lead to Low self esteem!
Factors affecting it:
Low self esteem in a person does not occur all at once. It has it's roots in:
1. A person's surroundings,
2. His or her childhood,
3. His or her upbringing
4. His/ her relationship with parents, siblings, teachers, peers, friends and so on.
5. Poor academics,
6. Physical features, height, weight and general appearance.
The problem has to be identified first and then with constant and conscious effort it can be overcome.
Who can help?
Role of Parents and Teachers!
What Is The Role Of Parents In Improving Self Confidence Of Kds?
Role of Parents:
Parents have a very important role in dealing with children suffering from low self esteem.
- First of all, parents should have a very balanced behavior towards their children.
- Too much of criticism, always talking in a negative way, praising too much or finding faults in front of everyone, comparing children within own siblings or with relative's children--should be cleverly and wisely avoided.
- Parents can understand their own child's psychology, in the best possible manner.
- If they suffer from lack of self confidence, it should be built up.
- They should be encouraged even for their small achievements. This will help them to come out of the withdrawal tendency.
- Today parents are too busy to even notice, the emotional ups and downs of their children.
Signs of Low Self Esteem
Is your child
What Is The Role of Teachers If The Student Is Suffering From Low Self Esteem?
Role of Teachers:
- Teachers have a very vital role in helping children suffering from low self esteem
- A student might be weak in a particular subject, or in sports or extracurricular activities.
- The teacher should understand the student well enough and should not criticize or humiliate him/ her before the classmates, if they have not performed up to the mark.
- Efforts should be made to improve their performance, by talking freely to them and inviting them to voice their trouble areas.
- Sometimes a student may not be well in academics but in sports or art or some other field.
- The talent should be identified and the child should be further encouraged to do well in that particular field.
Have you ever suffered with the problem of low self esteem?
What can be done to deal with low self esteem?
Factors responsible for Low self esteem among children,
Due to physical appearance:
- There are certain things, which are beyond our control, for example--height, physical features like nose, teeth, complexion and so on.
- Parents have a very significant role in building up their child's confidence, with whatever physical features they are born.
- Personality can be worked upon. Any kind of inferiority complex should be dealt with lot of encouragement and tender care of parents and teachers.
WHAT CAN BE DONE TO DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM?
* Meeting people, making friends:
Meeting people who are happy, jolly with a positive frame of mind is very much helpful in building self esteem or self confidence.
Making new friends, going to parties and picnics should be encouraged with the help of parents, teachers, older siblings.
* Sports and exercise:
It is good to encourage the children to play some sport, instead of just be busy with their computer or computer games.
This will divert their negative energy into positive energy.
Besides developing their healthy body, it will also build up a positive bent of mind.
Being surrounded with so many happy and positive people around, it will definitely help them to come out of low self esteem and feel confident.
* Engage them in constructive activities:
There are numerous activities in which these children can be engaged. If they create something really nice and useful and get appreciation in return, their self esteem would automatically be lifted.
In today's world, most of us would Google our question to get answers for anything and everything and it is available 24 x 7 too.
But there are Counselling sessions for helpless parents and children, almost in every educational institution nowadays. There are experts available at various psychological clinics as well.
You can browse through to get counselors practicing in your area, if you want to have an expert's opinion and suggestions.
© Chitrangada Sharan 14th Aug. 2012
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Steps to improve self esteem, source: self esteem
Some of the online Counseling sites that may be useful to deal with low self esteem of young children
Other related hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- Loneliness Among Children : Are You Too Busy To Noti...
Busy parents and lonely children is the reality of today's society.But it is a necessity for both the parents to earn, to manage a decent living. How to find a balance so kids are also given attention.
- How To Deal With Criticism At Office or Workplace: S...
Are you the one who is always criticized in spite of your sincere efforts, at workplace? It is important to have peace of mind to increase output, in your job. Tips on how to have a balanced approach!
- Examination Stress: How To Help Children Cope With E...
Is your child facing examination stress?As a parent, are you helping or making things worse for your child? The mantra should be prior planning n study, realistic approach avoiding over expectation!
- Sibling Rivalry : Signs, Symptoms And Parenting Tips...
While mostly siblings are best friends, in many families, there is Sibling Rivalry as well and most upset and sad by this are the parents only.Can the Parents be blamed? If yes, can they handle this?
- Why And When To Go To A Counsellor Or Therapist? Ask...
Are you feeling confused, struggling with situations/ relationships, unable to take decisions, dying to get 'that' support? Then probably you need some counseling sessions by a trained psychotherapist.
© 2012 Chitrangada Sharan