Effective Tips and Suggestions on How the Parents and Teachers Can Help the Children to Deal With Low Self Esteem.
What is Low Self Esteem?
First of all, we must understand the signs of Low self esteem in the children and the teenagers.
- Is your child self-conscious? Does he/ she avoids going to the parties or the family or social gatherings or meeting people?
- Does your child suffer from inferiority complex, about some of his/ her physical features, such as the short height or being too tall, too fat or too thin?
- Is your child backward in the studies? Is he/she not getting good grades in the examinations?
- Does your child refrain from playing with the other children?
- Are you aware, that your child is being bullied, at the school or the college?
- Does your child avoid taking part in the school activities, such as the debates, the stage shows and other cultural programs?
The presence of such signs and symptoms in the children, indicates towards the possibility, that your child may be suffering from low self esteem or lack of self confidence.
As a responsible parent, and as a sincere teacher, you must take these symptoms seriously, and try to solve this grave issue.
If it is not dealt with, in the initial stages, the child may grow up into a complex individual, and may also develop behavioural problems, later on.
7 Factors that may lead to Low self esteem, in the children or the youngsters:
Low self esteem in a person does not occur all at once. It has it's roots in--
1. A person's surroundings;
2. His or her childhood;
3. His or her upbringing;
4. His/ her relationship with the parents, siblings, teachers, peers, friends and so on;
5. Poor academics;
6. Physical features, height, weight and general appearance;
7. Sibling rivalry.
The problem has to be identified first, and then with constant and conscious effort, it can be dealt with.
The parents are the best persons to identify the problems, and solve it thereafter. However, nowadays professional help is also available, and can be useful for the child.
How to help your child, if he/she suffers from low self esteem, source: YouTube
What Is The Role of the Parents, in Improving the Self Confidence of their children?
Role of the Parents:
Parents have a very important role, in dealing with those children, who are suffering from low self esteem.
- First of all, the parents should have a very balanced behaviour, towards their children.
- Too much of criticism; always talking in a negative way; praising too much or finding faults, in front of everyone; comparing children, within own siblings or with the relative's children--should be cleverly and wisely avoided.
- Parents can understand their own child's psychology, in the best possible manner.
- If they suffer from lack of self confidence, it should be built up.
- They should be encouraged, even for their small achievements. This will help them, to come out of the withdrawal tendency.
- Nowadays, the parents are too busy to even notice, the emotional ups and downs of their children.
Building self esteem in children, source: YouTube
How can the Teachers help, If the Student Is Suffering From Low Self Esteem?
Role of Teachers:
- Teachers have a significant role, in helping the children, who are suffering from low self esteem.
- A student might be weak in a particular subject, or in sports or the extracurricular activities.
- The teacher should understand the student well enough, and should not criticise or humiliate him/ her before the classmates, if they have not performed, up to the mark.
- Efforts should be made to improve their performance, by talking to them freely and inviting them, to voice their trouble areas.
- Sometimes, a student may not be very good in academics. But they may have some special and extra talent, in sports or art or some other field.
- The talent should be identified, and the child should be further encouraged to do well, in that particular field.
Signs of Low Self Esteem
Is your child
What can be done to deal with low self esteem, if the factors are beyond our control?
- There are certain things, which are beyond our control, for example--height, physical features, like nose, teeth, complexion and so on.
- Parents have a very significant role, in building up their child's confidence, with whatever physical features they are born.
- Personality can be worked upon. Any kind of inferiority complex, should be dealt with lot of encouragement and tender care, by the parents and the teachers.
Meeting people, making friends:
Meeting people, who are happy, jolly, with a positive frame of mind, is very much helpful in building the self esteem or self confidence.
- Making new friends, going to the parties and picnics, should be encouraged, with the help of the parents, the teachers and older siblings.
- Let the child get involved, in organising and arranging activities or events. This will help them, to be more interactive with others and make them more confident.
Sports and exercise:
- It is good to encourage the children, to play some sport, instead of just be busy with their computer or games, related with computers.
- Outdoor games are always beneficial for the children, both physically and mentally. This will divert their negative energy, into positive energy.
- Besides developing their healthy body, it will also build up a positive bent of mind.
- Being surrounded with so many happy and positive people around, it will definitely help them, to come out of low self esteem and feel confident.
Engage them in constructive activities:
There are numerous activities, in which these children can be engaged.
If they create something really nice and useful and get appreciation in return, their self esteem would automatically be lifted.
In today's world, we normally make a Google search, for whatever our question may be, to get answers, for anything and everything, and it is available 24 x 7 as well.
But there are recognised Counselling sessions, for helpless parents and children, almost in every educational institution, nowadays. There are experts available at various psychological clinics, as well.
You can browse through to get the counsellors, practicing in your area, if you want to have an expert's opinion and suggestions.
Steps to improve self esteem, source: self esteem
Have you ever suffered with the problem of low self esteem?
Some of the online Counseling sites that may be useful to deal with low self esteem of young children
Helping a child deal with low self esteem, Source: YouTube
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 Chitrangada Sharan