ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Is Dyslexia Genetic

Updated on December 9, 2012

Understanding Is Dyslexia Genetic

Dyslexia can most usually be identified in children who have a hard time learning to read, write, and spell. The reason these children have difficulty with these tasks is because their brains have a harder time sequencing and memorizing visual symbols. So, dyslexics will find it hard to remember words, especially those, which cannot be sounded out. Dyslexics can sometimes also have a hard time with numbers.

People with dyslexia sometimes complain that words, letters, and numbers seem "blurry" to them. They will start to get headaches and seem anxious when trying to decipher words on screen or in a book. Dyslexia can often occur together with ADD and ADHD.

The most important identifying feature is that reading and spelling are hard and therefore dyslexic children, who are otherwise intelligent, fail to reach their potential. It is important to get dyslexic children the help that they need so that they do not lose all self-confidence early on, and so that they understand this condition is treatable.

The Biology of Dyslexia

This condition is found in every culture around the world except in those cultures where reading is not used or important. You will find that dyslexia spans across all IQ levels, and socio economic statuses. Interestingly, it is more prevalent in males vs. females. Additionally dyslexia can be affected greatly by environmental conditions such as nutrition.

Is Dyslexia Genetic

One of the largest risk factors determining whether someone will be dyslexic is to have a close family member that is also dyslexic. Studies show that about 50% of a person’s genes account for reading ability while the other 50% is environmental. This means that dyslexia is heritable by 50%. Boys are more likely to be affected by dyslexia than girls.

Some research has suggested that if either parent is dyslexic than their sons might have about a 75% chance of having dyslexia, but girls will only have a 25% chance of being dyslexic.

Can Dyslexia Be Cured

Dyslexia is not a disease; it is a condition in which the brain has a more difficult time reading and deciphering symbols. Though this should not be discouraging because there are many treatments to help with dyslexia such as filter glasses which help with the visual aspect, phonological training, and dyslexia programs.

Additionally, because dyslexics have different kinds of brains than others they have other skills that have exceptional value. Many dyslexics excel in film, art, and programming industries. There is even a well-known architectural firm that prefers to employ dyslexics because of their advanced lateral thinking and spatial awareness abilities.

Diagnosing Dyslexia- What Are The Symptoms

Some typical symptoms of dyslexia include:

- Unusually poor reading

- Bad Spelling

- Problems remembering phone numbers

- Problems remembering appointments

- Difficulty learning any type of sequence like the months in a year or days of the week

- Problems with concentration

- Problems sounding out words

- Visual distortion like blurring of words and numbers

- Eye strain & headaches

Helping A Dyslexic

The number one thing to do is to be supportive and to reassure the person that they are not stupid nor are they lazy. Don’t blame a child for having difficulty in school- because it is a real condition; a physical condition of the brain.

The diagnosis can be a big relief because now you and they know that they are not stupid. You should encourage other activities in which they can excel such as art or sports. There were many very smart and successful dyslexics. Einstein himself was a dyslexic!

Please add your comment

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • SusanDeppner profile image

      Susan Deppner 

      5 years ago from Arkansas USA

      Interesting topic.

    working

    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

    Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)