- Family and Parenting
Cohabitation vs Marriage
Cohabitation vs Marriage
From 2006-2010, nearly half of all women cohabitated before marrriage according to an NBC News report. This is an astounding rate. In the late 1970s, however, it was just beginning to become apparent. There were very few relationships where couples were living together back then.. We just need to take a look back to see how much we have changed. No commitment toward the relationship means an easy way out for most of us. Have we settled for second best because we can't wait for the best?
Marriages on the other hand are rapidly declining. Why stay in a relationship that doesn't work, especially if we have been "living together" before marriage? Too many women think that cohabitation is for them. Of course he will marry me...eventually.
So why not prove the relationship by getting married before "living together". There has to be a commitment, something binding, or there will be too much hardship ahead. Relationships take a lot and marriages take more. But it is worth staying together through thick and thin unless your in danger of abuse. Then you must leave and work on issues before you get back together because they may only get worse in the end if not dealt with.
Thought For The Day
Take time to look at God's creation around you. If you look closely at the flowers of the field, they have the most intricate design, beautiful colors and wonderful smell. We need to see that even the flowers have so much thought that has gone into the creation of them.
This is what we need to do in our lives. We couldn't have the beautiful things around us if it weren't for a creator that has put all things in place and in the right order.
Stastistics On Marriage
It has already been stated above that nearly half of women are cohabitating today. Now let's look at how that has affected marriage overall. This does not include other factors relating to marriage.
- According to foryourmarriage.org, marriage has been on the decline in the United States. From 1970 to 2010 marriages have decreased by 50%. Why you ask? It is due in part to the cohabitation rate. Among women, 68% of unions formed in 1997-2001 began as a cohabitation rather than as a marriage.” (National Health Statistics Report, 2012)
- “It’s becoming more acceptable to be in a long-term, committed relationship without a legal document,” says Pamela J. Smock, director and research professor at the Population Studies Center at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.
- This should be a warning to Americans based on the fact that we have different beginnings than this. Those beginnings were biblical principles. Our forefather's upheld traditional marriage. Our great grandparents would not approve of our ways today. Unfortunately the statistics show the results.
Families That Stay Together
We must look inside of the family unit to find the way that one functions. Many years ago there were more families that stayed together regardless of the conditions. Moral decline in our society has much to say where the family is concerned.
It is hard to ensure that your needs are met and looking out for the other guy as well. Sure there are people that still consider others before themselves but we can see that society has taken a step or two down. The dad leaves the home, or a mother must take on both jobs because of the imbalance that it leaves behind when the family unit breaks apart. We can see that our children also have more to do with computers than getting together to play a board game on game night with the family. Considering all of these things, it is no wonder why we have a hard time coping. Children are trained at a young age to think independently. They have to in order to make it through daycare and preschool. Moms have to work and pay the bills. The dads that stay are also strapped with the high demand of providing for the family.
Is our lifestyle serving our needs? In the end everyone suffers from being too busy or distracted. The solution? Take time out to appreciate those around you. Take time out to leave a legacy of love to your children and spouse. We are all guilty of these things at some point in our lives. It a lot of energy to keep up with the demands of everyday life. So instead, take time out. Let's try to look eachother straight in the eye and listen, and be very interested in what others have to say.
Marriage Before What?
Tell us your beliefs about marriage vs living together.
Definition of Cohabitation
The definition of cohabitation is living together as or as if a married couple. Merriam Webster Dictionary online. We see this now, and we don't think anything of it. There used to be a stigma attached to this subject. If a couple was cohabitating, then it was a sinful action. It was considered to be irresponsible.
- The couple was talked about and avoided, which in and of itself is not good.
- The younger generation thought of this as being something they might like to do. It was almost seen by them as wild and fun.
- Frowned upon by the older generation.
- Today it is accepted but not by everyone. We still have some who have the same moral standards as our grandparents did years ago.
The Definition of Marriage
The full definition of marriage is the state of being united with a person of the opposite sex, as husband and wife. This is the first and only real definition of marriage.
In marriage there are two people, one man and one woman. They were told in the Bible to be fruitful and multiply. This is one of the first commands that man was given. We have done that. That is why we have many people on the earth today. It's wonderful that human beings have been given the ability to procreate.
Watch This Short Video To Learn More On Cohabitation.
Below is a video explaing how cohabitation is not the original plan for our lives. So what is? If you want a stable life than you must go with the original plan which is marriage. Passing off what we know to be right and living the way we want will end in disaster. There is a wrong way and a right way to do things. To have order is to have your sanity. Everyone understands that organization is key to getting things done the right way, the way you need them to be done. So order in the home is key to working out life the best possible way. Watch this informative short video for more information.
Cohabitation. Is It Wrong To Live Together?
More Statistics On Cohabitation
- 50% of relationships that start with cohabitation don't make it past the first year.
- In 5 years 90% of relationships collapse.
- Marriages where couples lived together before have higher instability and negative communication than married couples who did not.
First Premarital Cohabitation in the United States:
2006–2010 National Survey of Family Growth
Click the link below to see the survey.
The results of years of cohabitation have become apparent. The breakdown of traditional marriage has been taking place right before our eyes as we look the other way. If you are wondering why we have so many disfunctional families, this is a very big issue. I believe that this is the basis for some of our societal woes. If cohabitation breeds more anger in relationships, more break-ups and the like then we are in trouble unless we change the direction that we have taken. Children are more likely to be in single parent homes. Let's bring the familly back to what it should be.