- Family and Parenting»
- Babies & Baby Care
16 Natural Baby Care Tips
Keeping your family healthy and safe in this ever-changing world can be a challenge. Parents are constantly bombarded with conflicting information in the news regarding toy safety, best food choices, and the effects of chemical exposure on our body's long term health.
Choosing eco-friendly, all-natural baby care products consistently will have a positive effect on your entire family's health and future. Once you begin making small changes in your home through your buying choices, you will see that it is fairly easy maintain a healthy, eco-friendly environment for your family!
Here are a few easy things you can do to decrease chemical exposure for your baby and reduce your carbon footprint.
Green and natural baby care tips:
- Buy organic cotton sleepwear and bedding for baby. Regular cotton absorbs pesticides which pollute water and deplete the soil. Organic cotton will be safer for your baby's skin.
- If you are using disposable diapers, choose a chlorine free brand. They are better for your baby’s skin and health and won’t pollute the planet as much as ordinary diapers.
- Investigate using flush-able diapers. This type of diaper is relatively new and not available in many stores. Check health food stores or order online.
- Cloth diapers are the greenest option and you may find you love using them! They are available in a wide variety of styles and many are designed to be incredibly convenient. This is an excellent choice (especially if there is a diaper laundering service in your area). If you are faced with handling the extra laundry yourself, I assure you (from my own experience) that it is not as awful as you may imagine! It will be an extra load of laundry per day.
- Make your own organic baby food in batches, freeze in an ice cube tray and store in freezer safe containers. Organic baby food is so much better for your baby’s health and you will save money.
- Look for organic clothing for babies. Organic cotton is great, but bamboo or hemp is even better!
- Buy organic or all natural baby bath/lotions. Chemicals added to most baby soaps are toxic such as SLS (sodiumLaurelsulfate).
- Buy a crib or cradle made from renewable wood.
- If you will be bottle feeding, purchase bottles that state they are BPA free. Glass bottles are the greenest choice.
- Buy all natural, organic, green baby toys. Avoid any plastics that your baby could put in her mouth. Plastics could contain lead or BPA.
- Use cloth wipes instead of disposable wipes and make your own gentle all-natural solution for cleaning baby’s bottom.
- Resist the impulse to buy too many baby toys. Your baby doesn’t need an excessive amount of toys and will outgrow many of them very quickly.
- Do not invest in baby wipe warmers. They are not necessary and will only end up in a landfill eventually. Warm wipes by rubbing them between your hands before applying to baby’s bottom.
- Buy organic formula and baby food. It’s more expensive, but safer for baby.
- Breastfeed while your baby is young – it’s free and the best food possible!
- Look for an eco-friendly diaper bag made from recycled materials.
There are so many ways to live a healthier, greener life. Make a list of the most important changes for you to make in your home. Take one step at a time and slowly incorporate the changes that suit your family and your budget best. Even a small effort will make a difference in your families health and the environment.
"The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."
Gaylord Nelson, co-founder of Earth Day