Taking a Closer Look On Family Matters: Importance, Signs, Effects, & Ways to Improve Parent-Child Relationship
“Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.”
One most common problem the world is facing today is an unhealthy relationship between child and parent. The issue seem to bother families for aeons and remains as one of the top causes of seperation between husband & wife, live-in partners, and children.
Perhaps, this problem between families appears unanswerable, in this article I will try to bring you the good news.
I, myself is a daughter & I know exactly how it feels like to belong in an unharmonious family because I have been there. Albeit the hostility in our home disapproves to go away, I tend to understand the causes & effective hacks to solve the matter.
And as I look deeply, I was able to successfully find the key towards an in-depth understanding about the said issue.
A healthy relationship between family members plays an important role in your life so start expanding your knowledge & views now.
The Importance of Healthy Relationship
Parenting is tough especially for new teen parents however, it is your responsibility to make sure that your child grows healthy and alert. The primary source of his/her character build up is from home that is why you should be cautious about your treatment, actions, & words in front of your child.
Kids like to immitate as their brains are still developing. Therefore, if you choose to display inappropriate behavior it will automatically be stored on your child's brain which is a negative aspect.
For example, he/she wanted your attention but you neglected him/her, the message will instantly travel into his system causes him/her to feel sad. The child then evaluates his feelings & develops defense mechanisms in order to avoid the pain. In this case, your relationship between parent & child will be broken.
It is very important to think before you act & speak to avoid distinctions between you & your child. Your relationship will determine 99% of his behavior & future so take care of it.
As for daughters/sons, if you are matured enough see to it that you are doing your job too to keep your family relation intimate.
No matter how difficult your family problem would be, there is always something that you can do.
Mothers & fathers alike your child's full capability of becoming a healthy & active individual physically, mentally, & spiritually depends on your hand.
Below are simple yet effective ways that you can apply to build a healthier relationship with your child.
Ways to improve your relationship:
- Spend time with them
- Open up regular conversations
- Do not use vulgar words
- Support their dreams
- Learn to apologize
- Avoid being too busy
- Never forget to show your care
- Learn to comprehend
- Provide them space
- Surprise them
- Listen to what they have to say
- Do not be judgmental
- Cuddle, kiss, and embrace them especially before bed
- Tell how much you love them
- If you have more than one child; try to provide equal attention & care
Children, do not depend your family's well-being on a hanging line, if you are already in enough age & mentality to understand what is going on with your family, then act your part.
Here are some tips:
How to get closer with your parents:
- Be honest about your feelings
- Share your problems/ recent troubles
- Talk to them regularly
- Explain your situation in a calm manner; try not to sound defensive
- Understand their reactions
- Lean an ear to their opinions & apply it for your own well-being
- Avoid arguments
- Listen to the tone of your voice; show them respect
- Share the positive things
- Bond with them whenever possible
- Say & prove that you love them
- Help them with what you can
As the saying goes, "the family that eats together, stays forever."
Eating breakfast, lunch, or dinner with the members of your family strengthens your relationship. Find out why.
Does family meals matter?Click thumbnail to view full-size
Researches around the world shows that families who eat meals together at least three times per week are less likely to experience difficulties in their home.
The results also indicates that children who share a meal with their family have higher self-esteem, excellent academic & career performance, low to non-existent depression & suicidal thoughts, increased motivation, avoidant to drug/ alcohol abuse, more respectful, happier & healthier individuals.
If you are wondering what are the possible causes of unhealthy relationship among family members, here are some answers:
Factors affecting family relationship:
- Doesn’t communicate with each other
- Changes in circumstances (e.g. getting a new relationship)
- Differences of beliefs, perspectives, & personalities
- Financial problems
- Stress whether at home or school
- Social, mental, spiritual, & sexual issues (e.g. bisexuality, changes in religious preferences)
- Vices (e.g. gambling)
- Overuse of alcohol & drugs
- Bullying or harassment from surroundings
- Lack of discipline
- Not enough attention from home & family members
- Anti-social behavior
- Disability to appreciate efforts
- Pointing out fingers
- Constant reminding of mistakes
- Failure to show love
If the problem remains unsolved, possible consequences that your child might develop are:
Impacts of broken family relationship:
- Violent behavior
- Pessimistic visions & perspective on things
- Isolation, rejection, & withdrawal from the world
- Exhaustion & less to non-existent motivation
- Blurry thinking
- Downwards mental, spiritual, & physical health
- Lack of focus
- Prone to drug & alcohol abuse
- Inability to eat or sleep
- Poor academic & career performance
- Suicidal thoughts
- Anxiety & depression
- Inability to communicate with peers
To complete your view on parenting & relationship status among families. Here are the statistics:
Statistics on marriage & parenting:
In the Philippines the number of married couples rises to 434, 932 as of the year 2017.
While in the United States the number of married couples from the year 1990-2017 sums up to 61.24 million.
The number of single mother reaches a total of 11.26 million within the past years whereas single fathers gains a total of 2.9 million.
Do you think this article is informative?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Sunshine Tibod