Patrick Kiley: the Irish Convict
Patrick Kiley was born in Ireland in approx 1799. His father was Sheamus and his mother was Catherine.
Patrick was tried for larceny in the county of Tipperary in 1819 and received the sentence of 7 years transportation to Australia.
On the shipping list, Patrick is described as a labourer, 5 foot 6 inches tall with a pale complexion, black hair and blue eyes.
Patrick was transported on the ship Minerva, which sailed from Cork on the 26th August 1819.
They would have sailed from County Cork's port, Cobh (pronouned Cove).
The Minerva arrived in Sydney on the 17th December 1819. Around 170 male convicts were on board and one convict died on the voyage. This was the second voyage for the Minerva to Australia as a convict ship, she sailed by direct route which took 113 days.
The master of the ship was Captain John Bell. The surgeon was Superintendant Charles Queade. Lieutenant Harrison of the 45th Regiment was in charge of the soldiers on board the ship.
The Minerva was built in Lancaster in the year 1804 and weighed 530 tonnes.
The plaque refers to the 1798 upsrising, but many more Irishmen and women left the shores of Ireland from Cob since that date. and indeed"... they subsequently influenced the development of the democratic and egalitarian ethos of the Australian nation".
Captain Bunker of Argyle is given as Patrick's employer in the 1822 muster records.
Captain Eber Bunker, a mariner and master of a convict ship, the William and Ann, in the third fleet, was an important man in the colony.
He was granted land at Liverpool, which he named Collingwood. Captain Bunker lived at Collingwood until 1823 raising cattle.
Many convicts ended up working on his house and land.
The house, having served many purposes since its construction. including a golf clubhouse, is now a heritage listed site.
Who was Captain Eber Bunker?
- Australian Dictionary of Biography
BUNKER, EBER (1761-1836), sea captain and farmer, was born on 7 March 1761 at Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States of America ...
Transportation to Australia
- Beginners guide to convict transportation to Australia
Over 162,000 British and Irish convicts were transported to Australia between 1787 and 1868. Roger Kershaw explores the reasons behind the policy of transportation and looks at the experiences of the people who were shipped beyond the seas, using cas
Life as a free man
On the 6th April 1826 Patrick received his certificate of freedom. A Certificate of Freedom was a document stating that a convict's sentence had been served and was usually given to convicts with a 7, 10 or 14 year sentence
After his sentance, Patrick lived at Bongarry, Goulburn Plains and according to the 1828 census he owned 75 head of cattle.
In 1833 Patrick married Judith Moriarty (of the ship Woodman) at Carryyone (Kuriong station) 200 miles from Sydney, in the parish of Sydney, St Mary's. This information comes from the priest's journal. It is possible that the actual name of the station was Kuriong. Kuriong Run is located near Binalong, NSW
Patrick and Judith settled at Coolac, NSW. In 1839, Patrick's younger brother William and his wife Margaret came out to Australia and joined the Kiley's at Coolac. Patrick and Judith were godparents to William's second son named Patrick.
In 1848 Patrick claimed a lease to Benangaroo Run (near Junee).
I am unsure as to what happened after that to Patrick and Judith as they seem to disappear from the records. I am unable to find any records of their children, if they had them, or when they died. It is possible that their names were recorded with variations of the spelling for Kiley, I have found records which pertain to Patrick with the spelling of Keely, Keily and even Hurley.
Early Goulburn Plains
- Early map of the County of Argyle
New South Wales was originally made up of Counties, Goulburn Plains was situated in the County of Argyle.
Where is Coolac?
The Kiley family and Banjo Patterson
Patrick's nephew, also called Patrick, was said to be a mate of famous Australian bush poet Andrew Barton Patterson, nicknamed Banjo. Banjo Patterson is believed to have spent some time on Red Hill Station, owned by William Kiley and sons and to have used it as the model for his poem "On Kiley's run". Banjo had many roles in his life, not only a poet, he was a solicitor, journalist, soldier and war correspondent.
Under the shadow of Kiley's hill by Banjo Paterson
In the family it is said that this poem was written with Patrick Kiley in mind
Under the Shadow of Kiley's Hill
This is the place where they all were bred;
Some of the rafters are standing still;
Now they are scattered and lost and dead,
Every one from the old nest fled,
Out of the shadow of Kiley's Hill.
Better it is that they ne'er came back --
Changes and chances are quickly rung;
Now the old homestead is gone to rack,
Green is the grass on the well-worn track
Down by the gate where the roses clung.
Gone is the garden they kept with care;
Left to decay at its own sweet will,
Fruit trees and flower-beds eaten bare,
Cattle and sheep where the roses were,
Under the shadow of Kiley's Hill.
Where are the children that strove and grew
In the old homestead in days gone by?
One is away on the far Barcoo
Watching his cattle the long year through,
Watching them starve in the droughts and die.
One, in the town where all cares are rife,
Weary with troubles that cramp and kill,
Fain would be done with the restless strife,
Fain would go back to the old bush life,
Back to the shadow of Kiley's Hill.
One is away on the roving quest,
Seeking his share of the golden spoil;
Out in the wastes of the trackless west,
Wandering ever he gives the best
Of his years and strength to the hopeless toil.
What of the parents? That unkempt mound
Shows where they slumber united still;
Rough is their grave, but they sleep as sound
Out on the range as in holy ground,
Under the shadow of Kiley's Hill.
A B Banjo Paterson
"Twelve thousand eight hundred acres [estimated area]. Estimated grazing capabilities, five hundred cattle. Bounded on the west by a range of mountains running from tho Murrumbidgee River towards the Port Phillip road, which divides it from Mr. O'Brien's run; east by the main range running into the river, about two miles east of Kiley's hut, which divides it from Mr. Flood's run; south, the Murrumbidgee River; north by the ranges between the river and Port Phillip road."— the Sydney Morning Herald Tuesday 3 October 1848
- Transportation of convicts from Ireland to Australia
The National Archives of Ireland holds a wide range of records relating to the transportation of convicts from Ireland to Australia covering the period 1788 to 1868
Do you have an ancestor who was transported to Australia as a convict?
The Irish in Australia
To be Irish, Catholic and a Convict! "Irishness" is a big part of the Australian psyche...
This video also shows footage of Tipperary, where Patrick and his family originated from in Ireland.
Do you have some information on an Australian convict that you would like to share?
© 2014 Jen Wood