- Family and Parenting
Roseanna McCoy and Johnse Hatfield
What Happened to Roseanna and Johnse?
The Hatfield & McCoy mini-series stirred up many questions. Viewers of Kevin Costner's three-part History Channel dramatization wondered what happened to the people involved in the ill-fated romance of Rosanna and Johnse.
Beyond a love-triangle, the on-again, off-again romances of Roseanna McCoy, Johnse Hatfield, Nancy McCoy (Rosanna's cousin) and Bad Frank Phillips left viewers wondering. How did their lives play out?
Since I'm interested in history and genealogy, I applied my librarian skills to researching the questions. Here's what I found out about the lives of these participants in the Hatfield-McCoy feud.
Photo of Lindsay Pulsipher in the role of Roseanna McCoy - courtesy of The History Channel.
FAQs about Roseanna McCoy
- Is it Roseanna or Rosanna? On her gravestone, it is spelled Roseanna with the "e." The History Channel uses that spelling also, so I'm going with that as the correct spelling.
- Who played Roseanna in the Hatfield and McCoy mini-series? Lindsay Pulsipher - listen to her interview just below where she talks about the part she played in the blockbuster.
- Who did Roseanna live with after her family turned her out? At first she lived with Devil Anse Hatfield's family, but moved in with her aunt, Betty McCoy when she could no longer stay with the Hatfields.
- Where is Roseanna buried? You can see her gravestone, a photo and directions to the cemetery on Find-a-Grave. Roseanna McCoy's grave
Get an In-Depth Look at the Feud
The mini-series was great but there are more details to learn about the feud.
Highlights from the Hatfield and McCoy Mini-Series - that was on the History Channel
Videos 1 & 2 = Theatrical Trailer for the mini-series on the History Channel
Video 3 = Video slide show of vintage photos
Video 4 = Timeline for the feud
This Was a Really Sad Scene from the Series
The Trailer for the Mini-Series
More to Come...
I'm still researching some questions and will add those to the FAQs as soon as I can.
Youtube - Timeline for the Feud
Johnse (Johnson) Hatfield
Frequently Asked Questions about Johnse Hatfield
- Who played the role of Johnse Hatfield in the mini-series? Matt Barr had that part. You can read more about Matt Barr's life.
- What happened later in Johnse Hatfield's life? The mini-series leaves the audience with questions about what Johnse's later life was like. He went to prison for 13 years for his part in the New Year's Eve attack on the Randolph McCoy house where two of McCoy's children died.
Did You See the Hatfield and McCoy Mini-Series?
Vote in the poll
Nancy McCoy Hatfield Phillips
FAQs about Nancy McCoy
- Who played the role of Nancy McCoy in the Hatfields and McCoys mini-series? Jena Malone had the part of Nancy McCoy. Read the Esquire interview with Jena Malone.
- When did Nancy McCoy Hatfield marry Frank Phillips? According to information on Ancestry.com, Nancy L. McCoy married Johnse Hatfield May 14, 1881. They had 2 children. She was 24 years old. When she was 39, she married Frank Phillips in 1895. He died three years later.
FAQs about Frank Phillips
- How did Frank Phillips die? He died of a gunshot wound and was buried in the Phillips Cemetery, Peter Creek, Pike County, Kentucky.
- Who was the real life Frank Phillips? His name wasn't changed for the mini-series. Frank Phillips was a real person.
© 2012 Virginia Allain