- Family and Parenting
Royal Baby Boy Names
Royal Baby Names for Your New Baby Boy
On Monday 22nd July 2013 the Prince of Cambridge and heir to the British throne, was born in London at 4.24 in the afternoon and was named George Alexander Louis but have you ever stopped to think how the Royals choose their baby names?
The choices for the royal baby boys names is limited - probably - and three have already gone. The royals tend to choose names from a small pool of traditional names drawn from the history of the royal family and, as with non-royal names, the choice for a little prince is more restricted than the choice for a little princess.
The day after the birth of little George Alexander Louis, according to The Daily mail, the popular baby names for the heir with the bookies was James at 2/1 on the 23rd July. James overtook the favorite boys' names, George and Henry (now 5/1).
So are we have had a little Prince Henry James in Britain.
George Alexander Louis
The Llittle Prince's Name
More name articles by the same author
- Royal Baby Names
A new Royal baby arriving in the UK and Prince William and Kate Middleton will be choosing an old-fashioned, traditional, royal baby name right now. Any bets? What are the odds on royal babies names?
- Old Baby Names Old Fashioned Baby Names are Back
The old baby names are back in fashion. Royal babies have trdaditional names, the stars choose old-fashioned names for baby, and vintage and retro name are cool. How to choose a name for a baby?
- Royal Baby Girl Names List
Royal baby names are great names for a baby girl. Traditional names are in fashion. Royal girl's names like Elizabeth or Victoria are always popular names for girls. Girls names like Maud are now back
- The Name Barbara
What does the name Barbara mean? Who are famous Barbara's? When is Barbara Saints Day? Who is Saint Barbara? Where is Santa Barbara? Find out more about name meanings barbara, name gifts for Barbara.
- Barbara Palvin, Barbara Mori and Other Famous People Named Barbara
Barbara is an old-fahioned name more common in America that the UK. There have been many famous people called Barbara. Saint Barbara, Queen Barbara, Barbra Streisand, Barbara Palvin, Barbara Mori ...
Read Some Funny Heir-Raising Adventures - Facts and follies of the royal babies
Now HIStory shouldn't be dry and writers are plundering history for great story lines and fab plots. What better way to commemorate the royal birth than to read up on the fun and games the royals have had with their babies?
A new heir to the throne of Britain is born and I'm sure there will be many stories to go with it. Catch up on the royal baby stories of the past for some right royal fun.
The Marriage of William and Kate 29th April 2011
It seems only yesterday!
Do you remember the wedding of Kate Middleton and Prince William? Commoner weds her prince? It seems like just yesterday to me. Now, on the 22nd July 2013 the birth of their firstborn, a son, was announced. How time flies!
The Top Ten Names for a Boy
According to the bookies!
James (2/1) George (5/1) Henry (5/1) Arthur (20/1) Louis (25/1) Albert (40/1) Alexander (40/1) Benjamin (40/1) David (40/1) Philip (40/1)
Royal Baby Boy Names A - C - What about Prince Alfred for a name?
- Adolphus - Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge (1774-1850)
- Alastair - Prince Alastair of Connaught (1914-1943)
- Albert - Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale (1864-1892)
- Alexander - Prince Alexander John of Wales (1871)
- Alfred - Prince Alfred (1780-1782), Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1844-1900)
Prince Alfred of Edinburgh, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1874-1899)
- Arthur - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Prince Arthur of Connaught (1883-1938)
- Augustus - Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex (1773-1843)
- Charles - Prince Charles Edward, Duke of Albany, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1884-1953)
- Christian - Prince Christian of Hanover and Cumberland (1885-1901)
Royal Baby Boy Names D - G - King George VI of England was a handsome fellow!
- Edward - King Edward VIII (1894-1972), Prince Edward, Duke of York and Albany (1739-1767), King Edward VII (1841-1910), Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn (1767-1820)
- Egbert - Egbert; King of Wessex, who ruled from 802 to 839
- Ernest - Prince Ernest Augustus of Hanover and Cumberland, Hereditary Prince of Brunswick (1914-1987), King Ernest August I of Hanover (1771-1851), Prince Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale, Crown Prince of Hanover (1845-1923), Prince Ernest Augustus of Hanover and Cumberland, Duke of Brunswick (1887-1953)
- Frederick - Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany (1763-1827), Frederick, Prince of Wales (1707-1751), Prince Frederick (1750-1765)
- George - Prince George, Duke of Kent (1902-1942), King George I (1660-1727), King George II (1683-1760), King George III (1738-1820), King George IV (1762-1830), King George V (1865-1936), King George VI (1895-1952), King George V of Hanover (1819-1878), Prince George William of Hanover and Cumberland (1880-1912), Prince George William (1717-1718), Prince George William of Hanover and Cumberland (1915-2006)
Prince George, Duke of Cambridge (1819-1904)
How The Royal Birth Was Celebrated
And how the prince was named
The first thing that happened, as far as we, the audience are concerned, is that a notice of the birth was posted outside Buckingham Palace, announcing the birth, the sex and the weight of the baby.
2,013 specially made silver coins have been pressed by the royal mint. These will be given to other, non-royal babies also born on 22nd July 2013.
Members of The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery fire a 41-gun salute in Green Park. 6 First World War-era 13-pounder field guns were pulled by 71 magnificent horses. simultaneously, from Gun Wharf at the Tower of London, a 62-gun royal salute was fired by soldiers from the Honourable Artillery Company.
On Tuesday 23rd July the new Prince was presented by William and Kate 24 hours after a natural birth. Prince William said they were "still working on a name".
The baby will be called HRH Prince XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXX of XXXXXXX, and he will almost certainly have several first names. Prince Charles is also called Philip Arthur George, and William, the baby's father is called four - William Arthur Philip Louis.
We might have to wait a bit, too, to find out what the name is.the wait for the name of Princess Beatrice was two weeks, and for Charles we had to wait a month! (One week per name). I expect that the thinking will be a bit quicker now. Goodness - not that quick! the Prince's name was announced on Wednesday evening. I heard it on the news about 5.30pm. How come they used to spin it out for a month?
Apparently it will be left to the Duke and Duchess to choose the names. Once chosen the Queen will be informed and they will then be announced officially.
Royal Baby Boy Names H - K - The problem with Henry is that this one wasn't very nice
- Henry - Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900-1974), Prince Harry of Wales (1984-), Prince William Henry, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh (1743-1805), Prince Henry, Duke of Cumberland and Strathearn (1745-1790)
- Prince Hubert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Albany (1909-1943)
- James - King James VI and I (1566 - 1625) - King of Scotland as James VI from 1567 and King of England and Ireland as James I
- John - Prince John Leopold of Albany, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1906-1972), John - The Prince John (1905-1919)
Why I Think It's A Shame It Wasn't a A Girl Last Time
For the first time in history she would have become Queen in her own right
The law is changing in Britain and if the new baby royal had been a girl, she would have become heir to the throne even if she had subsequently had brothers.
That would have meant that we would have had as many queens as kings in the future, instead of having to wait for a moment when there was absolutely no male around that could become king.
Still, a healthy child is always a great relief and lets hope that this little king-to-be turns out to be a good one.
Royal Baby Boy Names L - N - Prince Louis Ferdinande of Prussia
- Michael - Prince Michael of Kent (1942-)
- Leopold - The Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (1853-1884), Prince John Leopold of Albany, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1906-1972)
- Louis - always a popular French name for Kings
Royal Baby Boy Names O - R
- Octavius - Prince Octavius (1779-1783)
Royal Baby Boy Names S - U - We haven't had a King Stephen for a Long Time
- Stephen - King Stephen, (c. 1092/6 - 1154), called Stephen of Blois
Royal Baby Boy Names V - Z - I couldn't think who King William was but of course we always say "William and Mary"
- William - Prince William of Gloucester (1941-1972), King William IV (1765-1837), Prince William, Duke of Cambridge (1982-), Prince William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh (1776-1834), Prince William, Duke of Cumberland (1721-1765), William III & II (1650 – 1702) Prince of Orange. From 1689 he was King William III of England and Ireland
The Guardian Asks "Do You Know Your Royal Baby Names?" - Most Brits don't even know if it's a boy or a girl!
Where Did I Get My Information? - Links to my sources
- Daily Mail
James is the favourite moniker for the new royal baby
What is Your Favorite Royal Name? - Choose your very own royal baby name
Which name would you choose for the new Prince?
© 2013 Barbara Walton