- Family and Parenting
The Best Sit and Stand Strollers
A lot of us have children that are one to three years apart. If that sounds like your family or will be like your family soon, then a sit and stand stroller might be a good option for you.
A relatively new addition to the stroller market, a sit and stand looks very much like a regular single stroller. Besides the regular seat for the infant or baby, it also comes with a bench seat and a stand-up platform for the older child or toddler. It's sometimes called a stroller and a half.
It lets both children use the stroller at the same time without being a full-fledged double, giving you more versatility.
In most models, the front seats can be used for babies starting at 6 months old, but usually they have a way to fit a car seat for younger infants. This feature extends the use of the stroller, making them suitable for use with newborns.
In most most cases, the rear seat can accommodate a child of two years or more.
Though your older child might be happy to walk by himself most of the time, he may still tire easily and need to rest sometimes. When that happens, he can do so. No more having to lift them out of a double stroller seat, saving your back and your patience. As anyone with a toddler or preschooler knows, they can want in and out of the stroller countless times during any outing.
So when a regular double is more than you need, the sit and stand comes through as one of the best strollers for a growing family.
Best of all, they are relatively light. Most doubles are heavier, bulkier and more unwieldy compared with them.
Imagine the fun your child will have perched on the board watching things go by while mommy or daddy push the stroller.
Choosing the Right One
When looking for a good stroller, you need to take many things into consideration to ensure the comfort and safety of your children. While it is important to consider the recommendations of your friends and neighbors, you should get more information that will give you a more educated choice.
Some things to consider include:
1. The age difference between your children
- If the difference is more than two years, a regular one and a half sit and stand stroller should work well if your older child is a good walker.
- If the difference is less than two years, consider a sit n' stand double since your older child can sit in a regular seat while he or she grows up. Once they are older, you can take off the second seat and replace it with the bench and stand.
2. Number of children
If you have more than two kids that sometimes need a stroller, you can either choose a triple or a double together with a simple umbrella stroller for the older child.
Also, if you are expecting another child soon, that should also affect your choice, and you might want to get a sit and stand double.
You want to choose a stroller that can easily take the weight of two children as well as the continual on and off of your older kid.
Safety is critical. Make sure all kids are safely strapped in whenever you use a stroller.
The Best-Selling Sit n' Stand Stroller
Joovy Caboose Stand-On Tandem Stroller
One of the best rated!
The is the original Joovy Sit n' Stand. At only 29 lb, it is lighter than most regular strollers. I love the color selection; you can choose from black or a variety of bright, happy colors. Joovy Caboose Stand-On Tandem
And if you're on a budget, this is a very affordable option. While it is not under $100, with discounts you should be able to get it for under $130.
This will be helpful if you have a kid who prefers to walk or stand on your trips to the park, but who is young enough to need to rest some of the time too.
I so wished I had one of these with my second and third child. Since my second was a good walker, I rarely took a stroller to the park. Sometimes, though, when coming back home she could be so tired from playing it was hard to walk.
- Very compact and easy to maneuver
- Fits most infant car seats with its universal infant car seat attachment
- Large storage basket and child tray with 2 cup holders
- Folds easily with its simple trigger fold design
Joovy Caboose VaryLight Stand-on Double Tandem Stroller
Weighing in at 33.95 lbs, it is heavier than either the Original Caboose or the Ultralight version, but with this you get more combinations of how to work the seats. The frame has two settings, a compact setting that gives a total length of 43.5 inches or an extended position that stretches the stroller to 49.75 inches.
The front can hold a baby from 6 months old to a child of up to 45 lb and a height of 40 inches. The rear seat is suitable for a child from about 2.5 years and up to 45 lb and 44 inches in height. If you use this stroller with a car seat, you can attach it to the front seat and use it even with a newborn.
Some of the luxury features include:
- A one-hand fold/unfold. It folds into a freestanding stroller in either the single or extended position.
- Attachable swing away front tray and extendable storage.
- The seat cushion is removable and washable.
- The premium PU wheels come with a linked foot brake.
- The wheels have sealed bearings, and though not air-filled they give a smooth ride because they have a suspension system that absorbs much of the shock.
- The front swivel wheels are easily lockable which makes the Caboose VaryLight an excellent all-terrain sit and stand stroller.
Joovy Caboose Stand-On Tandem Stroller
The original sit and stand tandem, the is still one of the best. Often it is not only the best-selling sit and stand, but also the bestselling tandem stroller in general. Joovy Caboose Stand-On Tandem Stroller
It has become the most recommended sit-and-stand on the market from all the satisfied parents.
Weighing in at 26 lb, it is pretty light for a double. The front can hold a 6-month-old up to a child of 45 lb while the back seat is suitable for a child from about 2.5 years and up to 45 lb. If you use this stroller with a car seat, you can use it for your newborn.
Unfortunately, it does not come with a parent organizer, but you can purchase one separately.
The Ultralight Version
It's super functional! Love the look and colors
The is one of the best-rated sit and stand strollers. Currently, it is by far the lightest, most maneuverable one available. Weighing only 21 lbs, it is lighter than some single strollers, and this model is very easy to maneuver. One user said, "It rolls so smoothly and turns on a dime." Caboose Ultralight Stand-On Tandem Stroller
Your older child can choose to stand or sit, and should be comfortable sitting except when the front seat is fully reclined. The sun shade is big and more than sufficient to protect both kids.
- Most lightweight, compact, and maneuverable tandem available
- Universal car seat attachment works with most infant seats
- Oversized canopy with visor extension, three position reclining front seat
- Large storage basket, parent organizer included
- Linked rear parking brakes, easy trigger fold design
- Child tray with 2 cup holders
- Universal car seat adapter included
Joovy Caboose Too Rear Seat
This addition is excellent. It turns the Joovy stroller into a real two-seater.
If you want a more comfortable seat on your Joovy Caboose for your older child, you can get the The seat is easy to add to the rear bench seat of any Joovy Caboose sit and stand stroller, turning it into a double. Too Rear Seat.
Though small and lightweight, it is both efficient and practical. It gives your toddler a much more comfortable seat, a seat he can comfortably fall asleep in, even for longer periods of time. You can still use the stand-on board when the seat is in place.
- Full-size rear seat for toddler
- Installs easily onto the existing rear platform and stroller frame
- Multi-position reclining seat with 5-point harness
- Great for a toddler that is still too young to sit on the bench seat or stand on the platform
- Seat: minimum age six months; max child weight: 45 pounds
Dream On Me / Mia Moda Compagno Stroller
Stroller with a resting pad and standing board for under $200
The design does not take away from the fact that it is very durable. It comes with a heavy duty frame, and the well-balanced center of gravity, all-wheel suspension, and swivel wheels make it easy to maneuver despite being a little heavy.
The front seat is for babies over six months old, but the universal adapter it comes with can convert this into a travel system that will fit most infant carriers.
Both seats are spacious and comfortable for your kids, with padded, plush seats. Your child also has the added security of holding onto the gripping handles attached to the stroller handle.
- Two position recline
- 5-point safety harness
- Infant pillow
- Parent tray with cup holder
Baby Trend Sit N Stand DX Stroller
A sit and stand for under $150
It also comes with a convenient front tray for drinks and snacks.
- Lightweight, sturdy construction
- Front child tray with cup holder
- Five-point harness in the front seat
- Three-point child restraint in the back bench seat
- Seat: Minimum age six months, max child weight: 40 pounds
Joovy Caboose Too Ultralight Stroller
Save $$$ when buying both the Caboose Ultralight and Caboose rear seat
If you believe you will probably need the Joovy Caboose back seat, buying this combo works out cheaper than buying the two separately.
- Weighs just over 21 pounds without the rear seat installed
- Weighs just over 23 pounds with the second full-size rear seat installed
- Front seat has a 3-position recline, and rear seat has a 130-degree recline
- Parent organizer
- Child tray
- Universal car seat adapter
- Removable rear seat
Graco RoomFor2 Stand and Ride Stroller
Great value for the price
Parents using it say this stroller is worth every penny. It is lightweight and durable. The bench seat can hold a tall child, but at some point the older child might be able to mess with the brakes, which can become quite inconvenient.
- Accepts all Graco infant car seats to create a travel system
- Child can sit on padded bench seat or stand on platform
- Multi-position reclining seat lies flat for baby's comfort
- One-hand standing fold with storage latch, no bending necessary
Best Sit and Stand Double Strollers
The double strollers have a bit more versatility than the single ones above. Because they hold two car seats, they can be used with two infants. Also, the doubles can be used in various combinations, with each seat facing either forward or backward.
It is good to use with twins or siblings close in age, especially if the older child does not yet walk well.
While larger and heavier than the examples above, they are still usually lighter than regular double strollers.
Here are some of the best ones.
Graco Ready2Grow Stand and Ride Stroller
A stroller that grows with your kids
With its 12 riding combinations, this versatile stroller can be adjusted to every situation. It accepts two of the favorite Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seats.
It is a good stroller for two kids of any age up to 40lb, whether for twins or siblings of different ages. You will find you can use this stroller for at least a couple of years as your kids grow until one of them grows out of it.
- Accepts two Graco infant car seats
- 12 riding options for two children from infant to youth
- Face time rear seat for more interaction with baby
- Front seat, bench seat and standing platform each hold a child of up to 50 pounds. The rear seat that attaches holds up to 40 pounds
Graco Ready2Grow LX Stand and Ride Stroller
Rated as one of the best strollers for the price
- 80% Polyester / 20% Cotton
- Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
- Up to 12 riding options to fit your needs
- Designed with a parent-facing rear seat for more interaction with your infant or child
- Easy-push stroller with one-handed fold
Baby Trend Sit N Stand Double Stroller
Like most of the strollers on this page, the is made to carry a younger child in the front seat, and an older child in the back seat. In this case, the older child also faces the front. Baby Trend Sit N Stand Double Stroller
If you have twins or siblings very close in age, this stroller can also work well as a double.
This stroller also comes with a covered parent tray with two cup holders that are so practical. Closing the stroller is easy, as the stroller is made to fold fast and easily using one hand.
- Accepts 2 infant car seats on the child tray
- Covered parent tray with 2 cup holders
- One hand fold
- 5-point safety harness
- Foot activated rear brake
An excellent choice for three young children with at least one already walking well
When you have three kids close in age, a triple stroller with a sit and stand option could be what you need.
Sometimes, because of the age difference between children, the older child hasn't quite graduated to only walking by the time you need a full seat for the youngest. This can either be because you have had three little ones within a few years or you've had twins after an older child.
In such a case, a triple stroller seems like overkill and an unnecessary expense since your older child does walk a lot of the time.
Though not quite a triple stroller, this sit and stand option allows the oldest sibling to sit when tired after a long stroll or play in the park. So far only Joovy has one of them. Another option might be to add a board to a double stroller.
Joovy Big Caboose Stand-On Tandem Triple Stroller
Costing just above $300, it's a lot less than most good triple strollers that start at $500. With this stroller, you can put in two car-seats, so it's good for twins, and the seats themselves can take six months to 40 pounds and 44" tall.
The seat for the older child is a bench seat with a safety harness and can hold a child up to 45 pounds, the child can also stand on the comfortable standing board.
- Front seats accommodate two children from 6 months to 40 pounds and 44" tall. Rear seat accommodates child up to 45 pounds
- Two full-size seats with two-position recline
- Made of Deluxe rip stop nylon fabric
- Patented rear stand-on-platform for third child
- Includes two universal car seat adapters - accepts most major brands
Stroller Ride On Board
Extend the use of your stroller with these boards
Another option you might want to consider if you do not need to buy a whole new stroller is a stroller ride-on-board for your walking toddler or preschooler. The stroller boards let your older child stand or sit on your existing single stroller.
One of the advantages of this option is that it does not add much extra weight and can be removed entirely once your toddler is no longer using it. Most of these attachments only come with a standing option, but a few do have both options for your kid.