- Family and Parenting
Traveling With Kids Tips
Traveling With My Kids on Vacation
Planning a family vacation is always fun and exciting but traveling with toddlers can be a bit of a challenge. I know this because when my daughters were toddlers, I went on vacation with them and wasn't fully prepared for the trip. I thought I was going to pull out my hair throughout the whole vacation!
Traveling with them before we got to our destination was the worst part because my kids were bored, wanted to move around, and pretty much cried the whole time! I didn't bring much for them to do to keep them entertain and that was my biggest mistake!
In this lens, I'll give tips on the stuff you need while travelling with kis to make the trip more enjoyable for the both of you.
My Vacation Story When My Chrildren Were Younger
Travel Horror Story
My family and I took a flight from Georgia to California back in 2008 to visit family, but getting there was a nightmare with my kids! At that time they were 2 and 1 and they didn't enjoy the flight at all!
My kids didn't really have anything to do, so they were kicking and screaming the whole time! I received dirty looks from other passengers and the flight attendants tried to calm them down with snacks which kept them quiet for a few minutes until their snacks were all eaten up and then back to whining and crying! I thought I was going to be kicked off the plane!
When I returned back home from my trip, I told some of my friends about what happened and they recommended me to give my girls Benadryl so they could fall asleep during my next trip. I don't want to drug my kids for them to act right! I know there got to be a better way then that!
A year or two later, I went on a driving trip with my daughters from Georgia to Tennessee and it was a little better then our California trip. I was a bit more prepared with snacks and toys to keep my kids occupied. Once they became a bit antsy, I would pull over and let them stretch out. After that, the trip became more smoother. No need for me to use Benadryl!
Take a Poll
Do You Have a Horror Story of Travelling with Your Kids?
Tips For Travelling with Kids
So you may be wondering how to make your traveling trip more fun and enjoyable with your young children? Here are some great tips to use when traveling with your children. Also these tips can be used if you're traveling by car, plane, or train.
1. Use a Car Seat
- Some planes offer kids ages 2 and younger to fly free if only they sit on the parents lap. I do not recommend this for long trips.
Your child will not want to sit on your lap the whole time, they'll want to always get up and move. So buying a seat for them and putting the car seat in the plane seat will be much better because your child is more familiar with their car seat and will be more comfortable.
Also you'll be more comfortable too not having a child in your lap the whole time. Remember to make sure child's car seat is with the airplane guidelines.
2. Toddler Car Seats
Graco ComfortSport is a convertible car seat that children grown into. It's for babies and toddlers weighing 5lbs to 40lbs.
A traveling toddler car seat is prefect for travel like airports. You can click on your child's car seat and other accessories.
Keep children's car seats clean at the airport with a Gate Check in bag.
3. Bring Some Toys
- Kids enjoy playing with new toys. It is fun for them and will keep them entertain a lot longer then their older toys. You can also bring their older toys too just in case.
Kid Travel Toys
Fisher-Prices Doodle pad is convenient on the go.
Alex Desk to Go is a travel desk that sits in children's laps. Make it much easier for them to draw and write. Prefect for car rides and on airplanes.
4. Bring Drinks and Snacks
- Kids start to get hungry and thirsty on long trips so make sure you bring their favorite drinks and snacks. Now I know on planes you're not allowed to bring liquids from outside of the airport on the plane, so buy drinks in the airport.
5. Bring a Portable DVD Player
- Keep your kids entertain by bringing their favorite movies or shows to watch. I recommend bringing a new movie they've never watched before to keep them entertain longer. Remember to bring extra batteries just in case your portable DVD player dies. Also bring headphones so you don't disturb others if you're going to be around other people.
6. Bring Books
- Bring your kids favorite books to look at and also read to them. Also buy new books for them to keep their interest which will keep them entertained longer.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a very popular book series for children in Elementary and Middle School.
This Booger Book will sure to keep your child laughing!
7. Bring their Blanket
- Kids feel more comfortable and safe when they have their blanket with them. It helps them to relax and sleep.
8. Travel at Night
- Traveling at night is more better then traveling during the day because your kids will be more tired because it's their bedtime and most likely sleep throughout the whole trip, which is more relaxing to you.
9. Bring a Extra Change of Clothes
- Make sure you have a change of clothes immediately available for your kids just in case of an accident. Some children become car sick or air sick.
Sweater Ivory dress with brown belt for girls.
3 piece denim pant set for boys. Comes with hoodie, pants, and t-shirt.
10. Bring Kid Games
- Play different types of games with your kids like card games and puzzles. Matching card games are always fun on a trip and can be played with others. Also buying a big book with different activities to do like word searches or picture searches will have your child entertained for hours!
With puzzles, try to buy big puzzle pieces instead of small pieces so you won't have a big mess.
- Handheld learning game device like Leap Frog and VTech are great to keep children entertain and learning at the same time! Great thing about it is instead of bringing a bunch of cartridge games for your child's handheld, you can buy and download games onto their gaming system.
Kid Travel Games
Kids can play a card game called Scavenger hunt.
Get a travel book filled with traveling activities.
LeapFrog Leapster Explorer Learning Game System and LeapFrog LeapPad 2
LeapPad 2 is the top popular learning game system. My daughter has one and loves it and takes it on all our trips.
LeapFrog Explorer is hours of fun and also kids are learning at the same time. Color green.
VTech MobiGo and Cartridge Games
VTech MobiGo is a touch screen learning system.
11. Bring Crayons, Paper, and Coloring Books
- Keep your kids entertain by bringing stuff for them to color. The best is to buy several coloring books of their favorite characters instead of having a bunch of individual blank paper which can start to get messy.
Coloring Books and Crayons
Plane Trip Coloring Book.
Always Be Prepared!
Being prepared with your trip with your children will be more relaxing and will also go a lot smoother for you as well as your children. You and your kids will both enjoy your vacation and look forward to your next trip. So trying these helpful tips will make everything more enjoyable!
Enjoy your vacation!
Check Out Some Of My Other Articles
Kid's Spy Books
Every week, my daughters goes to their school library to pick out a book to bring home. Lately they've been bringing home I SPY books to enjoy finding specif...
Inexpensive Christmas Gifts 2013-2014
So Christmas is around the corner and you're wondering what you should buy for your love ones and friends but your money is short. There are several gift ide...
During my childhood while living in California, Bay Area, every time I would go to my grandparent's house, they would have personally made bags of chocolate ...
Top Hottest Christmas Toys For Girls 2013
Are you looking for the hottest Christmas gift this year for girls? If so, you're in luck because I've listed below the top best Christmas toys for girls! I...
Disney Princess Costumes Online
Halloween is upon us and little girls wants to be their favorite Disney Princess character for Halloween! Little girls likes to dress up as an beautiful pri...
Get School Supply List for Kindergarten
Summer is coming to an end and now my daughters are returning back to school. I'm so excited because my youngest daughter is going to be starting Kindergarte...
I was introduced to the lovable Sanrio characters when I was in Elementary school by my Aunt. But one certain Sanrio character caught my eye and no it wasn't...