- Family and Parenting
TummyTub Baby Bath
Tummy Tub Bath for Infants
The Tummy Tub Baby Bath was designed to mimic a mother's womb creating a wonderful bathing experience for baby and parent. Infants are cradled in the uniquely shaped tub in a way that ensures they feel safe, comforted and relaxed. As an added bonus the bath aids in easing colic and gas.
As new parents we were a little reluctant to try this tub that essentially is a bucket with our precious newborn. But by 4 months old she had much better head control and loved sitting up with support. We tested out the Tummy Tub again and haven't turned back. Bath time is filled with giggles and splashes.
TummyTub infant baths have been used for over 15 years in Europe and have recently been introduced to the US. Already the product has been featured on many national TV news shows and has won multiple awards. It's a truly innovative product that will change the way you think about baby's bath time.
The TummyTub is safe to use with children up to 3 years of age or 35 lbs.
Photo used under Creative Commons from Donminic Sayers.
Benefits of Tummy Tub Baby Bath
Bath Time is Fun Time and So Much More
The Original Tummy Tub will comfort and support you baby from the very first bath, providing a safe, stress-free experience for mom, dad and baby! Check out the following benefits of TummyTub from the makers at www.tummytubusa.com.
- Baby feels warm, safe, and relaxed within soft boundaries
- Eases indigestion, gas, and colic while calming baby
- Stimulates cognitive and physical development
- Meets the most stringent safety regulations worldwide
- Uses less water (1.3 gallons on average), energy, and space than traditional baby tubs
- Lightweight and easy to carry, even when full. 1.5 gallons of water weighs about 11 pounds.
- Water stays warm and comfortable for 15-20 minutes.
- Bathe your baby anywhere. On a table, in the kitchen sink, take it with you on vacation or use it while camping. The portable TummyTub can be used almost anywhere.
Photo used under Creative Commons from jacob en marlies.
Content Source Tummy Tub USA.
The One & Only Tummy Tub with Stool - Make bathtime special for your little one
Newborns relax in the natural womb like environment while the fetal position aides in relieving fussiness and gas.
Babies enjoy the soft support while they learn to sit and stand.
Toddlers are kept warm while they learn and grow from bath time play. Water will stay warm for up to 15 minutes.
The TummyTub is available with and without the optional stand. The TummyTub meets safety standards of the TUV German, UK British Standards, and USA CPSIA. It is designed not to tip when used alone or coupled with the stand and has an anti-skid rubber bottom. The transparent high quality plastic allows you to safely see your baby from all sides.
The optional stand will allow you to sit comfortably while bathing your baby preventing painful back-aches. This can be especially useful when bathing newborns that can not yet support their head. The stand also becomes a 2 level step stool as your child grows allowing your little one to reach the bathroom sink and toilet. The stand also works as bathroom storage.
The TummyTub may be used safely from birth to up to 3 years or 35 pounds saving you money from buying any additional bathing transition products.
The rewarding benefits are endless and make bath time a fun and rewarding experience rather than a chore.
Tummy Tub and Bath Time Gear - Available on Amazon
You could use a normal towel, but hooded towels keep your little one nice and snug fresh out of the bath.
I prefer unscented bath products for my child's sensitive skin.
Love this thermometer. It is easy to ensure the bathwater isn't too hot, and doesn't get to cold.
Infants Drift Off to Sleep in the Calming TummyTub Bath - Bathtime is Soothing and Comforting for You and Baby
Photo used under Creative Commons from jerroen.
Preemie/Newborn - A Therapeutic Environment
- Comforts and relieves stress in newborns by recreating the womb experience.
- Creates a special bond between newborn and parent.
- Newborns will often fall asleep in the TummyTub.
- Recommended by many hospitals, midwives and NICUs worldwide.
- Fill TummyTub half full and support baby's head under the chin with one hand or your forearm while washing or comforting baby with your free hand.
- Fill the TummyTub to cover your baby's shoulders and allow your baby to float and enjoy the experience while supporting your child's head with one hand under the chin and the other at the back of the head.
- You can also support your baby by placing your hands under the baby's armpits.
Baby's First Bath - Young infants will try to stand
Infant (up to 6 months) - Lots of Benefits
- Ease colic.
- Relieve nighttime fussiness by ensuring water is at the correct temperature and covers your baby's shoulders. Baby will relax and be ready for bedtime.
- Womb like environment is calming for baby.
- Babies will drift off into space often while sucking a parent's finger.
- By 12-16 weeks babies are able to better support their heads in the tub, freeing up your hands for washing.
- Plenty of space to splash and play.
- Babies as young as 2 months may try to stand due to the natural buoyancy of water, increasing motor skills early on.
Nearly 6 months of the Tummy Tub - little Leon enjoys bathtime
Babies 6-12 Months - Bath Time is Full of Learning and Fun!
- Babies are soaking up their environment and learning and growing with each day. Standard lie flat baby tubs no longer suit babies, but the Tummy Tub is still the perfect fit.
- Babies are learning to sit upright at this age and the TummyTub allows them to do just that.
- The TummyTub walls provide gentle all around support to help baby maintain posture.
- Except lots of laughter, splashing and giggle fits.
- Bathwater will stay warmer longer than in a traditional tub, letting baby play safely for 10-15 minutes before washing.
Aides in Development of Motor Skills - Design and buoyancy of water help babies stand as early as 2 months
Photo used under Creative Commons from jacob en marlies.
1 Year Olds - No fear of Bath Time
- The adult tub is now safe for your child with supervision, but some children can have anxiety or go through phases of not wanting to use the big tub.
- The TummyTub can still be a great comfort to your child.
- Try adding eucalyptus or lavender oil to comfort your child when ill.
- Toddlers are old enough to sit and stand during washing.
- They can play, splash and laugh all while staying warm.
- Use a lot less water than when filling up the big tub.
- Try using the Tummy Tub in the shower or inside the regular sized tub, helping children transition.
2 Year Olds - Under 35 pounds.
- Your child may be attached to the TummyTub, much like a blanket, stuffed toy or pacifier, providing comfort.
- Your child may enjoy play pretending it is bath time climbing in and out of the tub and practicing washing themselves.
- Try taking the tub outside for summer time play.
- Give your child rubber bath toys and watch them create their own games.
3 Years and Up - Bathing is No Longer Practical
Ages 3+ : Although we have seen older children actually wedge themselves into the TummyTub (my 4 & 6 year old sons for example!), by this age bathing in it is pretty impractical. However, the TummyTub can be used for water games and imaginary play. Many a child has played astronaut with it! It can also be used to store toys.
- Your child has now outgrown the tub, although they may still try to wedge themselves inside.
- The TummyTub can still be used for water games and other playtime activities.
- Re-purpose the tub to store bath time toys.
Secondary Uses - No Reason to Toss the TummyTub when your Children have Grown
- Use it as a Planter.
- Keep it around as an ice bucket.
- Pamper yourself with an herbal foot soak.
- Fill it with sudsy water to wash the car.
- Use it to water the garden.
- Store toys or other odds and ends.
- Flip it upside down and utilize as a stool.
- Leave it in the playroom and see what inventive games your children create with it.
Woombie Wrapper - After a relaxing bath swaddle your baby in warmth
The woombie has been dubbed a baby straight jacket, but it's stretchy material can be very soothing to a newborn that likes to be swaddled. Baby can't break out of this swaddle at night either!
Tummy Tub Resources - Links to information, photo galleries, FAQ and videos
- See the full line of TummyTub Products
TummyTubs available in a variety of see through colors and styles.
- Tummy Tub Photo Gallery
See happy newborns, babies and toddlers enjoying the Tummy Tub. Kids of all shapes and sizes.
- Baby Meet World: A Guide to TummyTub - Across the Ages
A how to guide on how to safely use the Tummy Tub with children at varying stages and ages.
- Tummy Tub's YouTube Page
Check out video of children of all ages enjoying bath time with the TummyTub.
- Manufacture's Web site
Learn all about the TummyTub, it's safeness, benefits and how to get the most out of bath time with your child.
- How to Use the TummyTub
The official instructions for safe use of the Tummy Tub.
Share what you Think of Tummy Tubs - Take a Poll
Photo used under Creative Commons from jerrroen.